Free things to do this summer...

Pixabay image
Rochester, New York
My problem during the summer is that I never have the money to do what I want to do. When my nieces were with me during the summer we would spend a few hours at the local spray park. We would stop by the dollar store and grab some snacks and drinks and then head to subway for a few subs for lunch. ~ Go to the beach and walk the boardwalk or pier {If you have them accessible that is}. Not only is it free, but you also getting some good exercise by walking and maybe going for a swim. ~ Go to a national park and celebrate The National Park Service's 100th birthday. There is free admission to all of the National Parks for 16 days, August 25 through 28th are the ones that fall in the summer. There is a complete list right here... https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/fee-free-parks.htm ~ Check out the free concerts in the park. In my hometown we have free concerts down at the beach. The music ranges from classical to folk as well as a few local artists. ~ Watch the sun set or the sun rise. Sit back on your back porch or on a blanket on the lawn, relax and enjoy the view. ~ How well do you know your hometown? Walk around your town and take photos . You just might discover a restaurant or an out of the way coffee shop that you've never seen before. Make sure you take your camera for all of those selfies and beautiful shots. ~ Local festivals are always free. The only things that cost anything there are games, rides and food. Before the festivals begin there's usually a parade to enjoy. ~ Fireworks for the 4th of July! If your at a good spot and can see the local fireworks then pull up some grass and enjoy the show. There are some local school here in Rochester that shoot off fireworks so the school grounds are scattered with blankets and excited children. ~ Star gazing from your back yard! Download a star chart from the internet, grab a blanket and go out and see if you can find the constellations. Here's some for you to check out http://www.midnightkite.com/index.aspx ~ Go on a hike. There are a lot of state parks that have hiking trails for you to use. Make sure you dress appropriately for the long hikes and have a mini first aid kit with you just in case. Also sunscreen and bug spray in a must!
@LisaSteinmetz I love your ideas as i never seem to have enough money either. Thank you for giving us some ideas!
There is always the library too. A lot going on there in the summer.
My town is too small for many of those things, but we are near a lake. We are near a freshwater spring. We own a canoe. There are nine holes of disc golf set up across the way. We can play horse shoes in a park here, or fly a kite. Lots of hills to walk up and down. No restaurants or stores really.