A Day About Nothing

@Raelove (15496)
Saco, Maine
All you Seinfeld fans may remember the series of episodes in which Jerry and George are plugging a new show concept they've come up with that, as they describe to producers, is about nothing. Well, that's how I'm feeling today, as I have no appointments and nothing to worry about needing to get done. I do have to clean the litterbox later, but that is "nothing" compared to all the medical stuff I've had to deal with this week so far. So it will be nice to look forward to "nothing" for a change. Of course, it's only 7 a.m., so anything could happen as this day unfolds. The sun's trying to peek out, and I can't remember if it's supposed to be nice or cloudy today. I think I heard something last night about possible thundershowers today, which will be ok, as I like them. At last Sunday's services, the guest speaker talked about retirement and how sometimes, it's fun to have a day when he does nothing at all. In this hurry-up-and-wait society of ours, we seem to feel guilty if we're not accomplishing something every second of the day. The focus is to work for as many years as we can or to fill our days with busy-ness and lots of rushing around. Where is it written that it's a crime or a sin to just sit still and do, well, nothing? To me, that's the time when I can sift through my thoughts, make new plans, think of loved ones, or simply dream of what I'll fill that new plant pot with. So today will be my Nothing Day, a day to focus on things that don't amount to much, but that, collectively, mean a day of no worry. I'll take it, and I won't feel at all guilty about it, and I hope YOUR days are all filled with the same type of happy nothingness. (Public Domain Image)
What you say is so true. If I 'waste' some time I do feel quite guilty. I need to allow myself time to just 'be' now and again. My friend meditates and I think that would drive me crazy. I see it as such a waste but of course it isn't at all.
@Raelove (15496)
• Saco, Maine
No, it isn't, and not to sound maudlin, but no matter how we live our lives, they all end the same. And truth be known, most of us aren't remembered for much at all. So why put such a burden on ourselves to always be productive? All that does is fill the time, and so many people feel they don't have the right to choose what that will be.
@Raelove You make such a lot of sense. The vast majority of people are only remembered for a generation or two, then the younger ones take over 'memory time'. I might just start 'wasting' more time.
@Raelove (15496)
• Saco, Maine
@JudyEv I think the ever-busy concept is a Puritan thing, and there again, it's how humans interpreted what they perceived as sacred edicts. There was a time when being occupied was purely a matter of survival. While it still is in a sense, we do not have to devote every second of every day to it now. This goes hand-in-hand, I think, with the aging thing. Because a few oldsters have defied the odds and worked till they were 90, the rest of us feel inadequate because we might decide to retire at 62. And it all goes back to money in this society: if you're not generating it through your own efforts, you are somehow a child of a lesser god. Pshaw!
Nothing day is good.Also good for your health.But do keep moving
@Raelove (15496)
• Saco, Maine
Oh, I keep moving. It just doesn't amount to much!
• Marion, Kansas
I need to learn to shut things off.My mind especially.
@Raelove (15496)
• Saco, Maine
I have a hard time doing that, especially if I have some major event coming up. I'm better some days than others.
Today is that day for me as well. might I add yesterday was cleaning day for me. It's going to feel good to relax today as well.
@Raelove (15496)
• Saco, Maine
Yes it will be. Enjoy!