Don't Meddle With the Medlars!

Medlar fruit (image Photograph © Andrew Dunn. Creative Commons Licence).
@owlwings (39605)
Cambridge, England
I was thinking idly of fruit which could be described as 'The Good, The Bad and the Ugly' (don't ask me why! It's just one of those odd non-sequitur things!). The 'good' might apply to many fruit, of course, and the 'ugly' obviously refers to that member of the citrus family called the Ugli, but what of the 'bad'? There are durians (which I have never tasted but, I gather, smell like the worst outhouse, dunny or public toilets but are said to taste delicious) and there are some fruits which would kill you if you ate them! There is one fruit, however, which is only edible when it is brown and rotten but is then (by some) regarded as delicious. Have you ever eaten a medlar? I have done so once as a child, I think, and I wasn't very impressed, though my father said it was a delicacy. My mother, however, used to make jelly from them and that was delicious. The medlar is a small tree which is quite closely related to the hawthorn but the fruits are larger and russet brown. When ready to harvest, the fruit is very hard and tart and quite inedible but if it is 'bletted' - that is, stored for a month or two until the flesh turns brown and soft (in an apple, you'd call it rotten!) - it loses its tartness and becomes sweet and edible with a spoon. I think that, when the season comes round, I must look for and try meddling with medlars again! If I don't like them, I can always turn them into jelly.
Don't recall ever hearing of them myself, but my recall doesn't seem to recall things in quite the way it should these days. You just ruined my post, I was getting ready to discuss how 'Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse' because it had been 30 minutes since the last discussion.
@owlwings (39605)
• Cambridge, England
The owl heard the mouse breathing, even if it didn't stir, and pounced! There do seem to be lacunae and hiatuses from time to time.
@BettyB (4212)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I've never tasted fruit from a medlar tree/bush, but I like to try new things. It would be interesting.
some things dont taste good on their own, but do later preserved. I want to try durian, but am a bit scared of it!
I think I will forgo the durian and perhaps the medlar too. I am going to stick to the boring apple.
@pgntwo (21954)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
More stone than fruit, as I recall. I used to eat them when I was a child, the greengrocer sold them at a certain time of year.
@Inlemay (16729)
• South Africa
I have never seen nor tasted them - I would love to taste all the fruits of the world but I would have to travel to many of the parts as not all fruits are exported
No, I have never meddled with a medlar. If that is one in the picture I don't think that they look very appetizing.
Sad that we don't have this fruit back home.
I've heard of these but didn't know anything about them. I think I'll pass on eating them.
@Lucky15 (33719)
Not sure if we have it here and never tasted durian. Haha