What is a blue moon and is it really blue? It is occuring this weekend again!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
SaturdaySaturday, May 21, 2016, there is going to be a special event taking place. There is going to be a blue moon. No, a blue moon is not blue as the name implies. The way it got its name was from Western European countries that included such countries as Britain and Scotland watched the moon every night, and they couldn't write it down like we do today in 2016. The reason was simple as they didn;t have a calendar to put the down what they moon phase was each night. They had a nickname every time they had a full moon according to to the season. Then they realized that there is sometimes two moons that are full in one season and decided to call it a blue moon which coincides with a word they used was translated loosely to a word blue meaning rare, They call it rare because it only occurs once every 1-3 years
No, I am sorry. A 'blue moon' is the second full moon happening in the same calendar month. Therefore, there can't be a 'blue moon' this weekend because the moon follows a 28 day cycle.
@jolietjake Now i know why they say don't believe everything on the internet. This is truly what i read. Thanks for clarifying it for me!
Okay, I found this: "An older definition says a Blue Moon is the third of four full moons in a single season.". You seem to have mixed the two facts up just a little.
@Marty1 There are two definitions, it seems, so this weekend will be a seasonal 'blue moon'.
@Marcyaz (35765)
Might have to see if I can see this blue moon (rare moon) that only happens once in a blue moon. lol lol
@Marcyaz I loved your response!
@Marcyaz (35765)
@Marty1 Lol thanks really will try to see it.
• Perth, Australia
@Marcyaz Your answer made me laugh!
@Ceerios (4756)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@Marty1 - And I had always been taught that the moon was really a big green cheese,
@CEERIOS I too though it was green cheese =)
@Ceerios (4756)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@Marty1 - That's why I yelled at the tiny moon man after I landed up there on the moon, "Take me to your Liederkranz..."
@DWDavis (10775)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I was always taught a Blue Moon was a second full moon within the same calendar month. I see from reading JJ's comment that a third full moon of four in a season is also a Blue Moon. It's nice to learn something new.
@DWdavis I agree i love learning new things!
Thanks for the alert. Hope the clouds go away so I can see this one! Hugs to you and Marty!
@corbin5 WE are supposed to have rain this weekend We always have clouds when there is an astronomy event. Love to you and Molly
There are several different types of moons. We get a lovely harvest moon here.
@IvySaysHi (4344)
I remember reading about blue moons durign testing in elementary school. Thank you for the info about it though it is very interesting
@bunnybon7 (35516)
• Holiday, Florida
so I will agree with that and maybe that is why this day, another terrible Friday is making my daughter so hateful about things, etc.
@Inlemay (16484)
• South Africa
The moon last night was just amazing. My hubby said it will be good for fishing today