Short Science Fiction Story Review – Gerda Pickin – Until Further Notice

Photo taken by me – alien DJ – Bar 21 – Manchester
Preston, England
2015 – Manchester Speculative Fiction – Spoiler alerts A local story set in a place I know well, The Manchester Museum, and interestingly, presented in such a way that it couldn’t really work in any other location. Despite warnings from a New Age obsessive curator, the Museum management decide to draw in more visitors by mixing and matching museum exhibits from different time periods in a single fusion display. The very real displays include the Museum’s Egyptian mummys and the Lindow Pete bog man, who occasionally returns North though mostly on display in London. The one worried curator fears the culture clash won’t be appreciated by a mix and collision of different kinds of mummies but his notions are dismissed out of hand until a postscript shows the Museum has been badly damaged in a terrible fire and explosion, leading to the given title. A fun idea, though we don’t actually see just what the various mummies do to one another, the building or anyone in their path. We just have a ‘told you so’ acceptance that the crazy warnings had merit. Arthur Chappell
One question - book or movie - this sounds good.
• Preston, England
short written story @just4him
@arthurchappell Thank you. Where did you find it? Can I get it on Amazon?
• Preston, England
@just4him it is on Amazon - I attend writing workshops run by the publishers, Manchester Speculative Fiction - the book is called Revolutions - I got it straight from source
• Pleasant Hill, California
Is it worth a read?
• Preston, England
@TheHorse yes it is a good story and the overall collection is good value
• Pleasant Hill, California
sounds like a seed of a good idea, but then not watered
@Inlemay (17093)
• South Africa
I hope Museums never become extinct - they hold the key between the past and the future . . so much information.
I'd read it.