Public Convenience

By pgn
@pgntwo (15045)
Derry, Northern Ireland
The Toilet. Or is it a WC? The smallest room, or even the wee room. Where you go to powder your nose, to spend a penny, to see a man about a dog or to show Percy to the porcelain. What is it called where you live? And how do you feel about shared facilities, common to all regardless of age or gender?
Did you know that you spend up to 3 years of your lifetime on the toilet? Or that that more people in the world have mobile phones than toilets? Join me for ...
In Italian it's called WC or gabinetto. We are not so strict about separated rooms for men and women, in many places we have shared facilities in Italy, same here in Switzerland.
American culture was begun by Puritans who were uptight and had lots of rules dealing with their bodies and bodily functions. They stuck. Darn.
@pgntwo (15045)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@ElizabethWallace Yes, the same lot that chopped the "naughty bits" off all the statues in public places in Europe centuries ago, and forever the butt of jokes and comedies since:
Lady Whiteadder, is Lord Edmund Blackadder's Puritanical aunt. Her husband is Nathaniel, Lord Whiteadder. Together with her husband they are vegetarian and religious fanatics. The two, but mostly her, are comically revealed to be very devout, dressing in w
@pgntwo (15045)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
As anyone who has ever travelled by air knows, sharing the same restroom is not exactly a new idea. (Not at the same time, naturally! ).
@Asylum (39022)
• Manchester, England
The biggest problem that we experience these days is the lack of availability of public toilets. Many public conveniences now have coin operated gates and charge either 20 or 30 pence. This is totally u justified because if you do not have any loose change then you cannot use one.
@pgntwo (15045)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
30p to spend a penny, if you're lucky. That's inflation for you...
@Asylum (39022)
• Manchester, England
@ElizabethWallace We also have similar in large shopping malls but bus and railway stations always charge.
@pgntwo (15045)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@ElizabethWallace Come to think of it, the "charging to use the facilities" thing does seem more common in Europe. I don't recall encountering it in the USA, though I have not been there more than a handful of times.
• Lakewood, Colorado
I dont want the opposite gender in a womens toilet..I am a woman..thats it in a nutshell for me friend.
@pgntwo (15045)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
It appears gender is no longer a black / white definition, but is rather a sliding scale, a continuum if you will... Whilst I know and appreciate where you are coming from, the question is: How do you tell?
• Lakewood, Colorado
@pgntwo These days one may not be able to tell that is for sure.
@pgntwo (15045)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@TiarasOceanView And does it really matter? Everyone's in there for one, or at most, two, reasons...
@Daljinder (17322)
Most of the places have seperate restrooms for men and women. But common restrooms aren't uncommon either. Like in small clinics, trains, etc..
@pgntwo (15045)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Is the shared restroom the way of the future, I wonder?
@Daljinder (17322)
@pgntwo I don't know. What's with all the hype on a friggen toilet by the way? I have been coming across so many posts on it. I mean a toilet is a toilet. Why turn it into a gender issue? Doesn't make sense to me.
@pgntwo (15045)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@Daljinder That's myLot for you, all things lavatorial
@suziecat7 (2717)
• Asheville, North Carolina
I usually say I'm off to use the litter box :)) I really don't care which stall others choose to use.
@pgntwo (15045)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Or which others are using adjacent stalls...?
@suziecat7 (2717)
• Asheville, North Carolina
@pgntwo - That too.
@pgntwo (15045)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
I call mine the library where quiet reflection can be attained ..... or maybe a game of solitaire I'm so glad I rarely have to use public facilities
@pgntwo (15045)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
I threw the Reader's Digests that used to grace this library here away years ago. Angry Birds does not do anything but cheapen the experience!
Ummm, cheapen the experience @pgntwo gheee, I hope solitaire doesn't do that..............
@pgntwo (15045)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@rebelann A good crossword helps things move along, perhaps solitaire does too... Can't say I've tested it.
In public, most call it the restroom, at home we call it the bathroom. I imagine that I have been sharing the ladies' room (another name we use) with people of all genders except straight males, for my entire life. This recent nonsense is a non-issue brought up because the wackos on the far religious right are angry that they lost the marriage rights battle. Sore losers.
@pgntwo (15045)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@ElizabethWallace You may appreciate a little bit of British comedy, a clip from a series called "Blackadder", it has been shown on British TV, so please view it in that light (in other words, no offence meant). Given earlier conversation, you may just find it too banal to raise a proper belly-laugh, but let's try anyway.
Blackadder's puritanical aunt comes to dinner on the same night he has agreed to hold a raucous party and drinking competition. Turnip is on the menu. Watch ...
@pgntwo (15045)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@ElizabethWallace Stephen Fry, of the general knowledge panel show QI was in that clip, I guess you may have heard of him or of the show. Blackadder, from which the clip above comes, is a bit of an institution, similar to The Pythons (Monty Python). How they get some of the material past the censor is a mystery.
@pgntwo Just not my thing. I don't get it at all. I guess humor is cultural.
@Orson_Kart (3184)
I am a Geordie, so the word "netty" is associated with us, but not many use it nowadays. The word I mean, not the convenience.
@pgntwo (15045)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
I've not heard that one before, despite encountering denizens of Leadgate, Shotley Bridge and outlying areas since early childhood.
@pgntwo Like I said, it's not so much in common usage now. I forgot to answer the second part of your post - shared facilities. It reminds me of that mind bending question. What can 3 men do at the same time, a man and a woman, but not 2 women? Answer: Pee in the same pot.
@pgntwo (15045)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@Orson_Kart Haven't heard the 3 men and a pot one in a while! There's one about three bees and a fly in a car on the A1, and BP, but possibly not appropriate here...
I don't think it matters too much about the genders sharing, as long as they have separate cubicles - no urinals in view, that would be unacceptable! I often use the word 'loo'.
@pgntwo (15045)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
I believe there have been reports of urinals in ladies' restrooms too... Loo comes from the French, "Gardez l'eau", the yell that preceded the emptying of the chamber-pot out of the window in the 17th century... The expression was shortened to "loo".
@pgntwo What a mine of useful information you are - thank you
@pgntwo (15045)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@jaboUK Better a mine than a cesspool, given the context of this discussion
What does Gardez L'eau mean? In the Middle Ages, from about AD 500 to about 1500 people pooped in chamber pots. When people dumped the contents out their window they often warned unsuspecting pedestrians by shouting "gardy loo!" - a term borrowed from the
Among other titles we also call it lavatory. We have separate public toilets - and I like it that way. I had an Anglo-Indian friend who would say she went to visit Aunty Jane. Search me!!!!!
@pgntwo (15045)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Aunty Jane is a new one! Sounds like it has something to do with Tarzan and Jane, perhaps?
@pgntwo There must be some history behind this term.
@pgntwo (15045)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@allknowing Something to do with Jane, but I can't put my finger on it...
@DaddyEvil (15893)
We might call it the john, the toilet, the rest room, the facilities, the men's room or lady's room. A man might drown a horse, water the carpet, drain the lizard or show off his prize possession. A lady powders her nose, catches a squat, takes a meeting, is indisposed or tinkles. I could manage using a shared facility used by all genders, but I would really prefer not to do that.... This might be seen as a bit silly, but when I was married, and the wife was whining about something or being b*tchy about something for too long, I would step into the men's room, take over a stall and sit and read a book for a while. I just wanted peace and quiet! If gender neutral facilities become the norm, then people trying to avoid things like I did won't be able to since the wife or girlfriend will be able to follow him in and KEEP crunching on his cojones as much as they want! That's BS!
@pgntwo (15045)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
It is so nice to have a little pocket of peace and quiet, this is true. And without having to listen to the trumpet calls emanating from an adjacent stall...
@DaddyEvil (15893)
@pgntwo Or smelling what is accompanying the sounds of the geese flying overhead!
@pgntwo (15045)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@DaddyEvil Honks go with the territory
@hereandthere (15081)
we say cr - comfort room, restroom, ladies room, men's room, and toilet.
@pgntwo (15045)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
The wee room goes by many names, t'would seem, as even the copyright line on this word cloud shows
@pgntwo i know it's also WC - water closet in other countries. even in our language there's several - banyo, kubeta, casillas but i really like saying 'loo'
@pgntwo (15045)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@hereandthere There's a line in a children's rhyme, "skip to my loo, my darling" - not sure what that is about... Must check it out.
When we lived in Germany the bathrooms were for everyone. I do not know what they are like now.
@pgntwo (15045)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Damen und Herren in most places I have visited over the years, except for planes and trains.
@cacay1 (22043)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
The common name abroad is Toilet, but in Phils. it is called CR. ( comfort room) Dress Room, Men's Room, Ladies Room.
@pgntwo (15045)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Many of them are far from comfortable, I find!
@acelawrites (8492)
I do not like shared restrooms. It should be clean and separate for each gender. It is called comfort room or toilet here.
@pgntwo (15045)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
I am inclined to agree, however: communal toilets do work, everyone is in their own little cubicle after all. Cleanliness is not a function of who uses it, but how well it is kept - some ladies' restrooms are worse than the men's!
@gudheart (13046)
Toilets most of the time, but it is also known as WC here too.
@pgntwo (15045)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Same here, generally. Gents or Ladies is another common one.
Im sure its far better than doing it outside in the "cludgie" which is Scots term for the outside toilet.
@pgntwo (15045)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Wonderfully descriptive term, cludgie! :)
@valmnz (10721)
• New Zealand
These days it is simply the loo. I've been known to wander into the wrong room by mistake in the past, so these save me further embarrassment.
@pgntwo (15045)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
That's a nice positive outlook on the changes to public loos, well said!