Existence

Last night we did some catching up with our neighbors down the street. As we're all busy with our own lives, we rarely see each other - only a wave hello from the driveway if we happen to see each other. We had no idea the husband's father passed away a couple months ago. He felt bad his mother was living alone in another state (alone in her home, but there was another son living in the same state). So our neighbor moved her into their home though we've never seen her. She doesn't drive, doesn't have friends, doesn't have a hobby of any sort - she doesn't want to do anything except watch TV, apparently with the volume way up. They bought her some earphones to take care of that but the problem is she also likes to shout comments at the TV, especially with her game shows. The noise has been so unbearable that our neighbor had to convert his garage into an office so he could have a place to focus as he often needs to work from home. They offered to take her places or even to one of senior centers with activities, but she refuses. She is content with her TV all day long. This is how she lived before her spouse passed away, only that her spouse used to be by her side essentially doing the same thing. How can anyone be satisfied with such an existence? I guess she is. But it has become a problem for our neighbors and sadly they are hoping to move her back to her state with the other son. Apparently he has a much bigger house - and a bigger TV ! With all this life all around us, how can anyone be stuck on their TV so much? Would you be happy "existing" like this?
Poor lady. I guess she has lost interest. Myself, I would not mind the peace, but I would have to get outside sometimes..would not be able to stay in like that 24/7.
It's sad. I can understand moments of peace, but could not spend the entire day like that either. Honestly TV doesn't grab my attention these days - is there anything really that great on any of those channels? I'd get bored real quick!
@much2say Actually yes, I have a lot to watch, but hey rarely get to see all those great shows. No time to do so.
@TiarasOceanView That's the thing, no time! There's too much life going on - no time for mass amounts of screen time!
No, I really don't watch TV, but I can kind of see me doing that with the computer. However, I also love the outdoors and fresh air and gardening, so as long as there are nice days, I won't be stuck inside, even when I am old and can't move around as well.
Me too - I can stay on the computer for gobs of time!!! But even still, I know we both have other stuff we enjoy doing and seeing . . . we'd go nuts sitting on our tush in front of the screen for too long!
@much2say Yes, in fact I was just thinking of going outside and starting a campfire so we can make smores tonight.
@Carmelanirel2 I've seen the "healthier" marshmallows in the store . . . do they taste the same?
• Olney, Illinois
"With all this life all around us", it really isn't odd that older people would rather live inside a TV instead of dealing with everything going wrong with society.
Sad but true I guess. They can live in denial in TV land. Oh but what happens when there is a blackout?
@bunnybon7 (34448)
• Holiday, Florida
that's true. especially when you are in pain a lot.. with a black out, I would die anyway because of the oxygen thing
@bunnybon7 Oh, that's true too . . . who cares if the TV goes out, but the oxygen would be super, super important. Does that not have a back up electricity source, like a battery?
Well, I wouldn't, I much prefer punching these keys and leaving comments for people ..... gotta wonder if that's any better
But at least we are socializing and sharing ideas with others, right? We're reaching out to others in the world and learning stuff. This lady apparently just sits there talking to the TV and has no interest in anything else but that.
It may be sad to see @much2say but is the old lady happy with her existence? That's the real question isn't it?
@rebelann That's true. I have never met her, but according to the neighbor she's perfectly happy with that. The thing is it has disrupted their house. The neighbor cannot focus on his work with all that noise (either her or the tv) in the otherwise quiet house. Neither can the wife. And they have a tween son who tries to stay out of the house these days too (I noticed that). I just don't know what will ultimately happen.
@Marcyaz (35954)
No I wouldn't be happy living like that as I like to get out and see things. Some people after retirement don't want to do anything or have no hobbies so the TV it is. That makes it hard on your neighbors to have her there.
I can understand TV as entertainment, but not for the entire day/night. It's sad that for some TV is life. Oh yah, my neighbors are going bonkers - they were hoping things would improve for her when she moved out here - but she's still stuck on her TV.
@Marcyaz (35954)
@much2say You would think after a while it would get boring maybe they can suggest taking her someplace she might like just to get her out of the house.
@Marcyaz Well yesterday apparently Hubby saw the whole family get into their car - so assume they went somewhere. I hope she enjoyed herself whatever they did. Our neighbor said they did everything in the book to get her out of the house, but she won't hear of it - she's actually happy right in front of the tv!
I think few people can stand it. How old is she ? I know some of the elderly always do what they want to and never condider how others feel,even hit the roof ,if you talk them into stopping doing that.
I don't know how old the mother is (I've never even seen her) - but her son is probably around my age if not older (he looks to be about 50). Our friends who are Filipinos have the wife's parents living with them - she tells us all the time they act like rebellious teenagers !
@much2say That is to say ,your friends now have three old people living with them.Maybe they have had enough of taking care of them.
@changjiangzhibin89 Well, the neighbor's family is one family - and the Filipino family is a different one. In any case, they all say that having even one extra person in the house makes a big difference. For the Filipino family, it is in their culture to have multi-generations under one roof . . . but I don't think it is that way for our neighbor. He seems to enjoy his privacy, even from family - and he is realizing it even more with his current situation.
That poor woman. That is a sad life, indeed. My 96 year old grandmother was active right up to the last day of her life. I would be happy with a good book!
96 - wow! I think staying active is definitely a way to keep healthy to live a long life - physically and mentally (and emotionally too). With all the junk that's on TV, I sure wouldn't choose to live in front of it all day long like that!!
@much2say I only watch TV in the evenings with my hubby, if we are home. Staying active is key! And the junk on TV is pathetic!
@DianneN Exactly! My grandmother lived a pretty long time in Japan - she stayed very active (for herself and her community) - I don't think she even owned a tv! I am just too pooped to watch TV at all.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
That's not much of a life but it's something she is apparently used to doing. She may figure she's lived long enough to have the right to do nothing but sit and watch tv. Then there could be the money aspect. When she was living with her husband money may have been tight and what's cheaper than sitting home watching tv?
I have no idea what her money situation was, but I do know our neighbors do well for themselves in their careers - money to keep her occupied shouldn't be a problem. They have offered to take her on trips, take her to classes and social events - but for some reason she will have none of that. I have never even seen her take a walk outside.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
@much2say I think the older you get, the more set in your ways you are. I remember something that was told to me a few years ago. This older woman inherited a boat load of money (at least a million dollars). When her son and daughter-in-law took her on a trip with them, at a hotel the clerk told the son they could have a cot put in his room for $20 so they wouldn't have to pay for 2 rooms. This old lady said, "We'll take the cot and I'll pay for it." To save on taxes she gave each one of you children a chunk of money but told them not to spend any of it because she might need it back. I know this has nothing to do with the lady you're talking about, it's just something that popped into my mind.
@RichardMeister Yah, I've heard that - about getting set in your ways. But it's sad if it comes down to only you and your TV set. Some of them get "funny" in their choices . . . even when they get a million dollars I guess - at least that lady agree to go on a trip with her family!
It's a wonder the son didn't realise what his mother was like before he moved her into his home. It's such a big step for both parties.
The neighbor was hoping that she would change once she moved out here as they could help her get around, but it didn't. There is so much she could do out here, but she will have none of it. Basically she only changed her living environment, but ended up doing the same ol' thing - watching that darn TV. I think it was a bigger step than my neighbor realized it would be.
@much2say What a pity she's wasting her life like that. What sort of age would she, be do you know?
@jaboUK I've never seen the mother before - but our neighbor seems to be around 50 or so. Hubby said he did see all of them hop in their car yesterday - so hopefully they went to go do something fun.
@artemeis (4026)
I really cannot imagine myself sitting in front of the television all day long but I suppose these old folks really don't have anything else like the computer during their times so I can understand how they go about it. As for me, if I should be of age I would really like to travel around the world and live at each place for a couple of period. Taking time to experience the life around the place and catching up with old friends as well. I could watch a bit of television there but not before I experience the thrills of the attractions around first.
Hi @artemeis ! Apparently this woman has absolutely nothing else going on in her life - not even one single hobby. I would personally rather get caught up with the computer than TV, but well, she probably does not even know how to work a computer and may not even want to try. Oh, wouldn't that be wonderful to travel and experience the world like that in our golden years? It'd be great to slow down and smell the flowers - in different places, that is. If I could do that, I'd definitely scratch TV off for good - there's too much to experience out there!! Nice to see you!!
@artemeis (4026)
@much2say HaHa! Maybe catch up with each other when I'm in your country too. Nice to see you, too.
@valmnz (13143)
• New Zealand
Unfortunately many older people seem to fall into this trap. As you say, there is so much life to be lived out there!
It is sad. It's amazing how many are content just sitting there in front of the TV like that. I'm making a note to self to never become like that!!
@valmnz (13143)
• New Zealand
@much2say you and I both
No, I couldn't do it. Other than sports, I really don't watch much TV. I have a show here and there that I like, but that's about it.
Why get caught up with a screen when there's a whole world out there to explore, right? I admit there are a few shows I enjoy too, but honestly I can live with or without it.
@much2say - As long as I can watch hockey, football, cycling, and Big Bang Theory, I'm good, TV-wise.
@acelawrites (10866)
Oh her life revolved around her TV! So much noise pollution indeed!
Yes, that's exactly how my neighbor feels -he is a writer (ironically for tv), so he needs to be able to focus.
@bunnybon7 (34448)
• Holiday, Florida
I am not even though that is mostly all I have besides the internet. I to only have tv (although recently not) and the internet and to worry over bills and coco, etc. and I am not happy but no choice so far with no friends either.
Awwww . . . WE are your friends @bunnybon7 !! Just the fact that you do come here shows you do have an interest in other people. You also tackle things in life as they come - you've made some big adjustments in the past year. I hardly know anything about the neighbor's mom, but I know he really emphasized how all she does is interact with her tv and that tv was her life.
@1hopefulman (22428)
I enjoy watching some movies but would not want it to be my focus of life. I need to move and do other things.
Yes, why watch experiences on TV when you could be experiencing them yourself . . . I like movies but not enough to have them be the focus of my life either.
@PatZAnthony (11971)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Many are just satisfied to breathe and don't want what others might want.
I guess so! To my knowledge, I don't think this woman has any major health issues - she is not bedridden or anything . . . it's sad that she is perfect capable of anything but just chooses not to do anything.
I hardly watch TV at all.
And that's a good thing! A bunch of garbage on it anyway.
@EddieHands (35476)
Yes but only if I could play video games on the TV! Blessings
I actually know people who do that (or who would at least). Get off the games - live real life!!!
Sadly a lot of folks are addicted to one thing or another.
I guess there are "good" addictions and then the "bad". Getting stuck on the TV doesn't sound too healthy.
Maybe she has hearing problems. I remember that my mother watched TV very loud a the 2 last years of her life.
I know it gets that way with a lot of men too - the TV gets louder and louder each year!! But apparently this is the woman's entire being the entire day. She watches tv all day and night apparently and cares to do nothing at all except that. How sad to not even have a single outside friend.