Cleanig the Coffee Pot

I am curious to know how you do this. My poor $8 Walmart coffeemaker was looking a little rough up until yesterday. Rather than buying a new one...I sort of cleaned it out. I brewed water through it, and then I brewed half vinegar and half water and then I did another pot of water. It seems better now for sure. Someone was telling me yoi can use lemon juice and ice cubes. Other folks told me Im not supposed to turn the coffee pot ON with vinegar inside (too late lol). What do you do? And how often do you do this? Happy Monday all!
• Olney, Illinois
I never clean mine out since the only thing that goes through it is water. I guess 'hard' water could eventually plug it up, but they are so inexpensive I'd just buy a new one if it ever happened.
Yeah! Thats the only thing I run through it except the inside looked.... kind of brown. Maybe thats a sign of hard water? Otherwise why would it be brown in the place water goes? Ha!
• Olney, Illinois
@maezee Yep, junk from the water. I have a black one now so it doesn't really show.
@JolietJake Hey! Thats a good idea... Im going to find a black one next time. Even if I have to pay - gasp - $10 for it. Ha.
• Allahabad, India
Vinegar is the most used chemical and then lemon. These two can be used for washing almost anything.
Nice. Thanks. Is that what you use to clean yours?
• Allahabad, India
@maezee Of course I do
What does 'rough' mean here? Is it dirty or does it have limestone? I don't know about coffee pots. But I clean my glass teapots with salt and some drops of water when they've become brown inside. Could also be an idea for coffee pots. I use cleaning vinegar against limestone, but for the wash basin, bathtub, and toilet bowl. Not for things out of which I eat.
Rough = gross, not clean, dirty. My own slang. I will try the salt. I was worried my coffee this morning would tasteblile vinegar but thankfully it doesnt :-)
@maezee I wouldn't try the salt on it, you should be fine with the vinegar and water solution that you ran thru it, that will clean it from one end to the other. Salt might linger in the pump or tubing and you might not like the taste of the coffee.
@gudheart (12763)
I usually just rinse it with fairy liquid and lots of warm water. Hope you manage to clean yours :(
What is fairy liquid???
I have never clean one before. I always buy coffee already made in the jug from Starbuck's and, if I have hot coffee it's at Mom's.
Ah well that works. I have a routine - must. Have. Coffee. Every morning!!
@kaka135 (13935)
I am not sure how to clean a coffee pot, because I don't use any. I think I have heard about using salt to scrub, I am not sure if that works. Hope you will not need to get a new one, but find a way to clean it.
@JustBhem (30204)
• Davao, Philippines
I don't use to clean pots.
@Blondie2222 (21039)
I clean mine with water and vinegar and i run it thru atleast 4 times but only do the vinegar twice and the rest just plain water. It also helps get the stench out of it as well.
@slayer08 (2363)
How about bakingsoda?