Upset about not having grandchildren.

@millie02 (6908)
United Kingdom
I went to visit a friend who I had not seen for some time. I went to her house for a cup of coffee and I could tell there was something wrong. She sat down and told me that she was upset because her only child ( a daughter) had recently told her that she never wanted to have children. My friend explained that she had been looking forward to being a grandmother and now she would never be one. I said that perhaps her daughter would change her mind in the future, but my friend said that her daughter is already in her middle thirties so it would not be very likely. Poor thing, I did not know what to say to cheer her up.
@boiboing (12425)
• Northampton, England
There are always neighbours with children who are happy to have a willing baby sitter nearby. Children are not obliged to procreate just to keep their parents happy.
@millie02 (6908)
This is true, I have also heard of organisations where you can adopt a grandchild.
@boiboing (12425)
• Northampton, England
@millie02 Maybe she'd be better off with a dog.
@millie02 (6908)
@boiboing I will suggest it to her, it may help.
That is sad for her. Hopefully her daughter might change her mind but there isn't much you can do about it. We will never be grandparents either but it's just one of those things.
@millie02 (6908)
This is a shame, how long have you known that you will not be grandparents.
@millie02 We have known for a good few years now. We 'borrow' grandchildren if we want to go to a circus Luckily we have lots of lovely nieces and nephews.
@millie02 (6908)
@JudyEv I suppose that is just as nice , in some ways.
• Riverside, California
There's really not anything you could do to cheer your friend up. It's one of those sad realities that she will have to face. I feel that my mother might feel this way at times, but she still has my younger siblings to hope for grandchildren from. I chose not to have children. I love kids, but I just can't see myself becoming a mother. I think that brings my mother a bit of sadness.
@millie02 (6908)
I suppose people choose not to have children for lots of good reasons.
• Riverside, California
@millie02 I just can't see myself devoting my life to someone else. It's just too much responsibility for me to handle.
@millie02 (6908)
@lexinonomous It is a lot of responsibility and hard work.
I have a suggestion: this friend of yours could volunteer at a day care . . .
@millie02 (6908)
That is a good idea , it would take her mind off things.
@millie02 and bring such joy !
@scheng1 (24801)
Why is it important for her to have grandchildren? I think she just wants to compete with her friends who have a few grandchildren. I think her daughter makes the right choice. If she does not want the commitment for marriage and parenthood, it is best that she remains single.
@millie02 (6908)
Perhaps this is part of the problem, her neighbour has several grandchildren and she is always boasting about them and this often upsets my friend.
@scheng1 (24801)
@millie02 Then you can comfort her by showing her new clips of grandchildren stealing from their grandparents. This will let her feel better. At least she has no such grandchildren to steal from her.
Not much you can say. Except perhaps that there are other things to enjoy in life. Maybe she can become a god mother for someone's child.
@millie02 (6908)
This could be a good thing for her to do, she would make a lovely godmother.
@millie02 ....Sure. If she doesn't have any and would like to be a part of ones life this could be a great fit for her.
@thelme55 (14552)
I can relate how your friend feel. I know it´s sad but she has to accept it. It is out of her control.
@millie02 (6908)
There is nothing she can do about it is there.
I will never be a grandmother either, but as long as my children are happy I don't mind at all. It's their lives.
@thelme55 (14552)
I agree with you @jaboUK. I will never be, too. It´s our childrens choice and we have to accept it.
@rusty2rusty (6769)
• Defiance, Ohio
She could always adopt a family that needs a grandma. Maybe a single mother that lives near by would love to have someone step in as grandma. I know my kids would love it. Since their grandma n their dads side never sees. Plus, my mom only does when she wants to put them to work.
@millie02 (6908)
Another good idea, perhaps she could use her dilemma to help a family who need somebody like her.
I still think that people will change as time goes by. Especially today it is still normal to have a baby in a later time.
@millie02 (6908)
I think there still may be time for things to change.
Still I think that her daughter could still change her mind. It has been done before.
@millie02 (6908)
Yes, her circumstances may change in the future.
@divssri (987)
• Bangalore, India
ITs really bad, everyone has desire i wish that girl change her mind in future.
@millie02 (6908)
So do I for her mother`s sake.
@kellyr634 (423)
I am sorry for her that she will not have grandchildren. But it's not that bad! A dog may be a good idea,