Babysitter Who Beat 1 Year Old Not Being Charged

By Lola
@Lolaze (3164)
On the morning after being left with a babysitter while his parents went on a date night, 1 year old Jacob was covered in bruises. The babysitter ended up admitting to beating Jacob that night while his parents were gone, but amazingly isn't being charged! Why you may ask? Because Oregon law isn't allowing it!!! In Oregon, the victim has to be able to prove the mistreatment was intentional. A 1 year old baby who can't speak can't prove anything and by the letter of Oregon law – can't prove anything. The law only allows for “impaired” people who cannot speak to not have to prove mistreatment and because Jacob is a healthy 1 year old, that does not apply to him. The abuser, despite the confession is being allowed to go free. This is the most insane case of child abuse I've ever heard! Not only was this baby abused by his babysitter but now he's being re-victimized by the state which will not prosecute his abuser!
• Pleasant Hill, California
Very disturbing. I hope they take a good look at the law. I'm surprised this "loophole" hasn't been dealt with already.
@akalinus (19807)
A child is a ward of his parents. His parents should be able to speak for him. Beating a baby is intentional. The law should let his parents speak for him because they make all other decisions for him, what he will eat, where he will sleep etc.
@softbabe44 (5899)
• Vancouver, Washington
I think their setting Jacob and any other child to really get hurt bad how would they like it?
@Lolaze (3164)
Yep, they are doing young children a disservice
@Lolaze Two things come to mind - the law is idiotic and she could have killed the child and second if they don't prevent her from doing anymore babysitting then the state is contemptible.
• Vancouver, Washington
@RasmaSandra That's not right
@nanette64 (17825)
• Fairfield, Texas
And what's worse @Lolaze is that the parents of Jacob can't even beat the crap out of the babysitter because they WOULD be charged with Battery. I think parents in Oregon need to fight to have the law changed.
@Lolaze (3164)
In an article I read about it, the dad said if not for the police being involved at first, he would've beaten the babysitter senseless.
What a stupid law!
It just proves laws and the people who make them are certainly NOT in a victims favor . . . sad but unfortunately true
@topffer (35525)
• France
What says the law if she did it "unintentionally"? Oregon is probably not a wild jungle (I cannot tell, I have never been there) and I think that the family can start a civil lawsuit.
@inertia4 (27713)
That is a horrible story. I think Oregon needs to re-write that law. I would have gotten ahold of that baby sitter and beat her myself. Just punishment.
@Marcyaz (35625)
I don't understand how they justify this miscarriage of justice. Of course a one year old can't accuse the abuser, that is one of the worst law I have ever heard of it is crazy, just plain crazy.
@acelawrites (12188)
She should be banned from babysitting! And the law there is so cruel, they should amend it to include toddlers who can not speak; there is injustice there!
@zarlamain (24889)
Just so sad that the world has become like this. Poor child!
• Rochester, New York
This is absolutely horrible. I babysat for over 20 years and never even thought of raising a hand to a child no matter how upset they got me. If they were crying I hugged them. If they were getting into something then they helped me bake cookies or something.
That is crazy to me. She should absolutely be charged with this abuse!
That's sad to hear. How can we solve the problem if the crime was not being punished?