So tired after field days

Today at my childrens school was field days. They are outside pretty much the whole day in the sun playing games. Today it was 85 degrees. I did nothing but stand around and watch all day but I am completely exhausted. My son was absolutely miserable. He was mad he had to wear a shirt that he was given (every kid in the grade had the same shirt so they could be identified). It was purple and he hated it. He poked a bunch of holes in it. He played three games of flag tag and cried after every time he got out. He got his face painted and was very picky on what he wanted to have done. He decided on camo. They were running out of time so they had one person do the left side while the other painted his right side. They did it completely different. He hated that and cried over it. My daughter felt really sick from all the sun and heat. It was a long exhausting day for all of us.
I find it totally irresponsible of the "ones in charge at school" to put the kids through this for a whole day in the heat.
All the teachers have to stand around in the heat too. Some even play in the games as well. I would have been to hot to do it. I wish I had brought juice for my son as he won't drink water and that is all they had. I know I showed signs by the end of the day of being dehydrated and I drank 20oz of coffee and 12 oz of water.
@cacay1 (33192)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@shaggin My gosh, you might have some heat burns.
@cacay1 Nope I made sure to use sunblock.
As a teacher, I dreaded field days. I think they plan far too much for the kids to handle. I think a 1/2 day would be more easily handled by parents, teachers and kids. I used to pray for rain on field day.
Last year it was chilly and rainy and the kids still had to stay outside and do the wet games so they got soaked and were freezing. A half day would be a lot better for outdoor activities on really hot or cold days.
@shaggin The school nurse would walk around spraying all of us with cool water from a spray bottle due to the high heat. If she had to do that, then no way should we have been out there.
@Corbin5 Wow that is crazy. I hate getting wet if someone sprayed me I would be mad. I assume she would ask if anyone wanted it though. There are times when it is so hot that a light mist can feel like a huge relief.
@miniam (9228)
• Bern, Switzerland
Hope you can now put your feet up and have some me time after the kids retire.
I just got them to bed and am relaxing on the couch for a few minutes before I head to bed myself. It was my sisters 34th bday as well so we had to wait until they all got home from dinner and then go to her house to have cake and ice cream. Due to this my kids got to bed much later then usual on a school night. My kids won't be going to school tomorrow though due to a dentist appointment so I didn't mind them staying up.
@miniam (9228)
• Bern, Switzerland
@shaggin hope you slept well and long and now feel relaxed, you have a lovely day.
@miniam I did thank you very much
It doesn't sound to have been fun for any of you.
I enjoyed some of it but my sons miserable time today made it very hard. I felt bad for his teacher. Another student in the class cries very easily as well.
@shaggin Of course if our children are upset, we are bound to be too.
@cacay1 (33192)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@shaggin So exhausting activity if done under the hot sun.
@trivia79 (7887)
• El Segundo, California
hot temperatures makes you tired even if you are not doing exhausting things.
I guess you are right as that is what I was seeing last night.
@trivia79 (7887)
• El Segundo, California
@shaggin just drink water oftenly so you don't get a heat stroke
@scheng1 (24741)
Your son is really rebellious! I think you have to learn to curb his rebellious attitude, else he will get into trouble sooner or later. Glad that this day is finally over.
Oh trust me it is something that we have been working on. He was just in a terrible mood today. There really wasn't much I could do to stop it. It was in school not at home you know so I can't really discipline him as I would at home.
@scheng1 (24741)
@shaggin True, hope he can outgrow it. It sure must be tiring for everyone, including all the teachers.
@cacay1 (33192)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Take your rest, have many hours sleep.Take some glasses of water too.
I wound up not getting to sleep until about almost 11 pm. I did get to rest before that but I just didn't get to sleep as early as I was intending. That is pretty common for me though.
@MGjhaud (20861)
that sounds pretty exhausting im sorry. i hope the children are relaxing by now.
My kids went to bed about 9:30 and were up just as early as always. Today we are having a relaxing day as the dentist appointment we were supposed to go to was cancelled. We are going to enjoy this nice relaxing day today for sure!
Those so called field trips probably are not as good as they seem.
These are different then the field trips. The field trips are to museums and things like that where field days are potato sack races, flag tag, bounce house, ball toss etc.