Playing a musical instrument.

@millie02 (6908)
United Kingdom
I have only ever played two musical instruments and these were both when I was at school. I learned to play the recorder and the triangle and I did not get on very well with either. Have you ever learned how to play a musical instrument , and how did you get on with it?
I played guitar for close to 20 years until an accident working in the oil field resulted in the loss of part of my left-hand ring finger and left me unable to properly form chords.
@millie02 (6908)
That is sad , what sort of music did you play?
@millie02 Mostly 'classic' rock, but a bit of everything
@millie02 (6908)
@JolietJake Did you play in a group?
@zarlamain (24531)
I wanted to learn the harp, violin, and piano when I was little, but we couldn't afford the instruments and the lessons.
@millie02 (6908)
What is a `harm' and how would you play it?
@zarlamain (24531)
@millie02 Sorry, I meant harp.
@LeaPea2417 (19017)
• Toccoa, Georgia
In Elementary school, I played the violin and was in the Elementary School Orchestra. I should have stayed with it but with things that happened in my life after Elementary School, I stopped playing and never got back to it, unfortunately.
@millie02 (6908)
Would you like to learn to play again?
@LeaPea2417 (19017)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@millie02 I have thought about it but never had time to really pursue it.
@Marcyaz (35765)
When I was a young child I took guitar lessons but I was not very good as I am not musically inclined and can't read a note of music.
@millie02 (6908)
I learned to read music , but now I have forgotten it all.
@Marcyaz (35765)
@millie02 I never did learn to read music to my regret.
In my youth I taught myself to play guitar by using a book. Loved playing, but never got training to continue. I played viola in 8th grade, but my mother discouraged me from playing so I quit. Sadly she didn't want me to do much so I didn't get a lot of support. I did encourage my children to learn an instrument and supported their efforts.
@millie02 (6908)
How did they get on?
@millie02 My daughter can no longer play the clarinet due to her rheumatoid arthritis. The other 3 just gave up. All of them can sing quite beautifully though. My oldest is a wedding singer.
@Ronrybs (7302)
• London, England
I never learnt any instruments in school, now I have become quite fascinated by the recorder. I didn't realise it had such a range.
@millie02 (6908)
They come in all shapes and sizes, I would like to play the Flute.
• Nigeria
I like to play piano sometimes just to have fun
I've been playing an instrument called a banduria for quite a long time now. Started back in third grade because it seemed like a cool activity to be in, then in the sixth grade our ensemble was recognized as one of the best in our country. Up until now, I still strum banduria melodies, but not as intense as I did back in elementary.
@Ianist (279)
I can play piano but not that good, and also a flute
@theBlock (2615)
@millie02 I think everyone should learn how to play at least one instrument---soothes the soul. I've played the piano professionally for 20 years. I started to learn late when I was 21. I wish I'd taken lessons when I was a kid.
I have only played a musical instrument. I was at College. I learned to play the recorder and the triangle and I did not get on very well with that instrument.
I play the piano, but I am not very good at it.