My Favorite B52s Songs: #7 "Roam" (1990)

Los Angeles, California
"Roam" does not come to mind as one of the B52s best known songs like "Rock Lobster" or "Love Shack." However, "Roam" was one of their biggest hits being a Grammy nominated gold single reaching #3 on Billboard. Off the "Cosmic Thing" album, "Roam" showcases the beehive hairdo (though they did not alway sport them) girls Kate Pierson and Cindy Wilson. Fred Schneider is silent on this track. The girls sing basically an a cappella intro (not so much live) leading into guitar riff then that B52 beat begins. "Roam" is not a fun party song but rather melodic as Kate and Cindy sing either about a man or being free in general: "Roam where you want to, roam around the world." There is much repetition of "Take it hip to hip, rocket through the wilderness." The song is lulling and the the girls do not veer into the grating of "Rock Lobster" and "Dance This Mess Around." Perhaps "Roam" was successful because it is a girl song and no Fred who annoys many.
The B-52's 'Roam', Live from MTV's 'Dawn of the Decade' 1990.
A really true classic is that John. I loved that song too.
@PainsOnSlate (20652)
I loved that song. Thanks for the video.
• Denver, Colorado
It's a good one. Too bad it gets overlooked because of "Love Shack."
• Preston, England
I do think Roam is one of their best songs
@Ronrybs (7908)
• London, England
The more I think about it, the more sure I am that Love shack is the only one I really know