I'm Havin' Some Haddock

@Raelove (16813)
Saco, Maine
The popular assumption among many folks is that, because we live so close to the ocean, we Mainers pay less for fresh fish. That is not the case at all, as middleman costs often drive the price way up above what the fisherman actually gets. A typical grocery store might get $6.99 a pound for fish that was either frozen at sea and thawed, or frozen off the boat and then thawed. Fresh haddock, on the other hand, goes for upwards of $9.99 a pound, which is way beyond my budget. One recourse here is to take a 20-minute drive to the city of Portland, which is what a friend of mine and I have started doing once a month. The first time we did this, we stopped at a small fish shop located on Commercial Street, which runs along the northern side of Portland harbor. The price that day for fish fresh off the boat was $5.99 a pound. When we went there today, it was just $4.99 a pound (!), so we each bought 3 pounds. The price is low because the fish comes right out of the water and is immediately sold to this shop, thus eliminating the shipping and marketing costs that supermarkets charge. I'll have some of this fish for lunch and freeze the rest. While I do love a good chowder, it is too precious to be used that way, in my opinion. So I'll enjoy it either baked or fried as part of a meal, or as a sandwich with my own homemade tartar sauce. Years ago, I remember my mother buying fish from a vendor who drove a small refrigerated truck around town. While this IS less convenient, it is well worth it! (Public Domain Image)
You make my mouth water with this discussion Rachel. No good fish to be had here.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I'm so sorry. My sons says the same thing, as he lives in Colorado. And if they do get fish out there, it's impossibly expensive and not very fresh.
@Raelove He is so right Rachel..I am glad to have experienced real seafood up there.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@TiarasOceanView I'm sure he misses it, as do you. I will think of you both when I enjoy mine. Small consolation, I know...
In my country something like that happens too. Fish is not unexpensive and some fish come frozen to the city (2 hours away from the sea). When my husband was alive, we went to where fishermen had their boats and bought fish cheaper than at a market 4 blocks away from them.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Makes no sense, but they have to make their money, I guess.
@LoriAMoore (4790)
I don't know if I've ever tried Haddock or not. I don't eat a lot of fish, but I like salmon and whitefish and cod.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Haddock is considered a whitefish, along with cod, schrod, hake, pollock, etc. Mild flaky flesh...so good.
I would think you could go fishing and get it for free.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
LOL. I wish. That would necessitate buying a fishing boat, as haddock lives out in the deep ocean. Much cheaper to buy it this way. Even charter fishing expeditions are very expensive. You get the fish free, but it might cost $100 for the trip out. No savings there.
The lower price you spoke of is what we usually pay here for my favorite of salmon. We only buy it once a month. I wish fish was more affordable because it is something my grandson will eat and is so good for us.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I'm not crazy about salmon at all. I much prefer whitefish. But that IS a good price for it where you are.
@Raelove ...I like white fish too. Just salmon is my all time favorite. That and trout.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@celticeagle I tried trout once and got a mouth full of bones. That was it for me. I'll stick with haddock.
Yummy! I love haddock. You really got it for a song! Haven't bought haddock in a while. The last time I bought it, it was frozen. The cost was about $6.99 a pound. Not the best, but it did in a pinch. I too would rather have fresh.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
This is an amazing price for fresh-off-the-boat haddock, believe me. I haven't seen anything lower than this in a very long time.
@Raelove I would have bought enough to stock the freezer for a little bit.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@ElusiveButterfly I bought 3 pounds, which is enough for 4-5 more meals for me in addition to the one I had yesterday. I have just a small apartment-size fridge, so foods get freezer-burned faster in it, which is why I don't keep a lot in there.
@Marcyaz (35670)
That is quite a savings on the fish and I bet it tastes better also. Baked or fried is good as part of your meal.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I like either way. Of course, a fish platter at a clam shack is good, too.
@Marcyaz (35670)
@Raelove Oh yes that is very good indeed.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@Marcyaz The first few bites are always heavenly.
@CRK109 (14465)
Holy mackerel! Seriously, I haven't been able to buy any fish in ages because it's been so expensive. You got a real steal there!
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I sure did, and I'll be going back every month. Nice play on words there!
@CRK109 (14465)
@Raelove thanks! I get a little too punny once in a while!
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
That goes for most seafood. People living along the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland are getting their first good crabs of the season and paying $60 a dozen for them steamed. That's highway robbery, but if you got the money it's worth it. Try buying fresh seafood in a landlocked state!
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Oh I know. My son lives in Colorado and says it's untouchable there. At least we can find it here if we take the time to shop around for the best price. And of course, the fresher the better is the rule with fish.
@Raelove I am not a fish eater unless it raw fish. But we are into crabs and shrimp and luckly we found a seafood place 1 1/2 hours from here that gets seafood from the coast daily and it's very good. We picked up 5 pounds of shrimp last week so we're set for a while.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@AbbyGreenhill I like crab and shrimp, too, but not a big fan of lobster, probably 'cause I've never had it cooked right. Glad you are able to get SOME seafood. Sounds like it's worth the drive.
Enjoy the fresh fish as much as you can!
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Oh I did. This stuff is so fresh it melts in your mouth. No comparison at all to the stuff they sell in supermarkets.