Amongst Star Wars Fans . . .

My daughter is a big Star Wars fan - particularly with the latest "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" and Kylo Ren (the bad guy character). So as part of her graduation present (and because it was on sale), I went to the Disney Store to grab her a light up Kylo Ren lightsaber. If any of you go to the Disney Store, you know that many of the salespeople KNOW their movies and characters. The cashier tried to ring me up, but the cash register didn't seem to take in the numbers she punched in. Me: "The register must be on the dark side . . . " Cashier [with hand reaching hard for the register]: "The force is strong with this one . . . " ( This is said by Darth Vader, Kylo Ren's grandfather, in a previous Star Wars movie). Maybe it's one of those inside things that only insiders "get", oh but we laughed HYSTERICALLY. Do you totally "feel it" when you are amongst like minded people?
• Preston, England
Great that you met a fellow Jedi lol - hope your daughter likes her present, and I know I would
Fellow Jedi! Oh, she is nuts about Kylo Ren . . . she has wanted this lightsaber for a long time. Her little brother got Yoda's lightsaber for his last birthday.
• Preston, England
@much2say so she is more Sith than Jedi - cool
@arthurchappell She's always rootin' for the bad guys - she was never into the princesses either, always the witches !
As far as Star Wars goes I'm definitely not an insider, but I did 'get' both those references. Quite witty of you both.
I get a kick out of meeting strangers and doing kooky things like this!
@thesids (22359)
• Bhubaneswar, India
What is Star Wars Sadly not many like minded people around in real life... maybe I need to transform into something... Morpheus? I wished I could write to turn into Joker (as played by Late Heath Ledger)
@thesids Ah, my like minded friend!! Real life . . . "What is real? How do you define real?" as Morpheus would say. The Joker . . . oh my gosh did Heath do such an awesome job or what?! As he said: "You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push" And I'm still trying to figure out how to bend the spoon!
@thesids (22359)
• Bhubaneswar, India
@much2say "If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then real is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain." loved that for sure... Somehow the doctors have been giving me the red pill but sadly they forget the full dialog was - "You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes".... Still waiting for something to happen, I believe The spoon will never bend. That is what the kid said. The mind is yet to realize that there is no spoon. As for the Heath Ledger's Joker... I think in my lifetime, he was the only one villain I fell in love with. Got some push for sure...
@thesids I think I took the purple pill (a mix of the red and blue )! And see, my problem is trying to bend spoons that do not bend . My daughter has always appreciated the villains . . . I don't know why (but for some reason I am proud of that) .
That is so cute that you and the cashier could connect that way. Yes, when with like-minded people, I do really feel it!
We were Jedis and communicated telepathically !
@sishy7 (27654)
If I were the cashier, I'd go "huh?"
I take it you must not be into Star Wars? I know some Trekkies out there who say Star Trek rules .
@sishy7 (27654)
@much2say My son is into Star Wars so I still at least know a little about it - but none of them are into Star Trek and I'm not either so I don't know nearly anything about it... wait, is that the one with Mr Spock or Dr Spock or something like that?
@sishy7 Yah, Mr. Spock! Dr Spock is that old child care doctor/writer (I used to get them mixed up too). I like 'em both in different ways (Star Wars/Star Trek - not the Spocks ) - but I'm not really a "fan" in the fanatical sense.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
I haven't seen the last Star Wars movie. Sometimes there are jokes that only those who are "insiders" get.
Have you seen the past ones? I hope you at least saw the original Star Wars. If you know what "the dark side" and "the force" are, you'd probably figure out what we were saying.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
@much2say I saw the original and I have a pretty good idea what you're say. I think the original is the only one I've seen.
@RichardMeister I saw all of them, but honestly the original one was always my favorite. But I will tell you they did a great job with this latest one - it's as good as the critics say (the ones who liked it anyway). It was smart of George Lucas to hang it up and let Disney take over.
Oh,I simply can't get a word in edgewise,because I know nothing about Star Wars and the like.However I should congratulate your daughter on being admitted to a middle school !
Hi @changjiangzhibin89 ! No worries! Actually I know many who do not care for or are not into this movie series. I like it, but I'm not really a big "fan" like some crazed fans! Thank you - she is very excited about going onto the next grade and attending a new school in the fall.
@much2say There are some old people here who like the movie series,only it is not my cup of tea.You know,I am an old fogey.
@changjiangzhibin89 I could never think of you as "old"! The first movie came out I think in 1977, so if anyone was a fan back then and kept up with the series, they are now nearly 40 years older (and still a fan)!!
I bet your daughter will love the gift.
I think she will too . . . I just have to keep it well hidden for a couple weeks!
We still need to buy the dvd for the Force awakens. We have not seen it yet.
Oh, then we better not tell you anything more about movie! I will say it was far better than the pre-quels!
Wow I bet every star war fans go to that store and have those funny talks before punching the groceries out.
That could be so! My daughter and I actually went there today, but didn't buy anything so I don't know. All the Star Wars stuff is still there - and apparently still very popular!
@artemeis (4017)
When the movie was premiered here in China the marketing campaign was really extensive. The live size props of various scenes, characters and even the X-Wing Fighter was put up at various shopping centers and open malls. I have to say that for a while it really seems like Star Wars came a visiting in my city. The light sabre was available for sale here too. I have to say that it was more life like than those put up on sale many years ago.
Oh I believe that @artemeis ! Since Disney took over, I'm sure they did everything they could to ensure this movie (with VERY high expectations) was going to be a success - and of course worldwide! They are super pros in the marketing department. The merchandise seems to be higher quality too - but I think the design and details of the movie called for it. George Lucas was all about "the merchandise" and he had too many kooky characters and costumes that made the movies (particularly the last 3, the pre-quels) rather cheesy and tacky.