New York Times Bestsellers

I got to thinking about this label put on many books I see. New York Times Best Sellers. I recently won a book on Goodreads.com (yay! Love that site) and it was a NY Times Best Seller. So far I am not enjoying it so much but maybe it takes some time to get into, Im giving it a chance. For you readers out there - does it make you more likely to pick up and buy or read a book with the label of NY Times Best Seller? Do you find yourself "agreeing" with these books being better than others? I have mixed feelings on it. Sometimes they are great books other times I disagree. What about you?
Not usaully as I can jol;ly well think f or myself what authors and novela that I like so I do not usew their best sxellere list at all
I agree! I tend to read the same authors that I know I like. Or suggestions from friends. What kind of books do you like???
t@maezee mysteries and who dunnits mostly
@Hatley Oh I like those too. Do you have a favorite author?
@msiduri (5749)
Bestsellers seem to conform to what's popular among literary agents. They can be good, enjoyable books. But the label itself does not induce me to read (much less buy) any particular book.
Interesting. Are there any common themes you see in these types of books? And I agree - thats not how I pick books.
@msiduri (5749)
@maezee While I confess I've not made an exhaustive study of them, I think one common thing (at least in books aimed at adults—YA is different) is torturing the main character to varying degrees. Or beating the main character to a pulp. "The Martian," which I actually liked, is a recent example. That poor guy just hung on by a thread through the whole book.
I don't automatically pick up a book because it is part of a best selling list or it won an award or it got rave reviews from some critic. I tend to let the books 'speak' to me and then that's when I pick it up to read it.
I think the same goes for me. The synopsis, the genre, the cover are all things I take into consideration.
@maezee yup. same here!
@silvermist (20097)
@maezee I do not read any books just because they are on the best seller lists.I have some favorite authors.Then I browse books and pick the ones I want to read.