Don't forget the real meaning of Memorial day

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
As all Americans know this coming Monday, May 30, 2016, is what should be a somber and solemn holiday. The holiday is t honor all great men and women in the military who gave their lives in the line of duty so we American's can have the freedoms we do have. A lot of American's treat this as the start of summer and go on trips, a lot of people get Monday off work, there is no school if it is still in session. People treat it as a time to have fun. There will be picnics and BBQ's in the backyard.Public pools open for the first time of the season. People can have their fun as long as we don't forget those brave military men and women who were wonderful and so great and died for people they didn't know so we could have our freedom Please pray for these brave military people
It's become tragic that the only people who salute the flag during a parade, Memorial or otherwise are the Veterans who served and know what our freedoms truly mean to us. I'm proud to be an American. I always salute the flag. I'm a Veteran.
@just4him Yes it is sad it is only veterans who salute the flag during a parade. I never knew you were a veteran Sincerely thank you so much for being in whatever the branch of the military you belonged. A lot of us owe you a lot for our freedom. IT pathetic the way people use this day so that they can get good prices on a piece of jewelry or something silly like that. Thank you again. I, too, am proud to be an American!
@Marty1 I Watched the Indy 500 today, and watched the crowd when the National Anthem played. The number of people who don't give tribute to the flag is abominable, and then they expect the freedoms the men and women of all the wars since the Revolutionary War, fought to give us. Thank you. I was in the Navy. I'm a Vietnam Vet.
@ridingbet (53108)
sadly, that is the problem of my countrymen today. many do not show respect to our national flag; they don't stop and put their right hand/palm over their chests when the national anthem is played, nor stop their vehicles when the song is played.
These holidays sometimes can be commercialised and people tend to forget the true meaning of it. A lot of businessmen take advantage of this by giving out memorial day sale and people will just go out and go shopping without remembering what the day truly is for.
@toniganzon I agree I couldn't think of the right thing i wanted to say. You said it beautifully as they treat holidays to make more money at the stores. All week tons of department store sale papers for Memorial day in the newspaper! Hate to see Sunday's paper! It has enough already!
@Marty1 It's just sad how the true essence of that day has been forgotten by some. I think some kids are thinking it's just a day for them to go to the beach or have a trip.
@toniganzon I agree just another day to go swimming or shop the sales
• Pleasant Hill, California
Agreed. We should all pause and reflect before going to our parties and BBQs.
Yes we must remember what the day is really for.
@susan2015 I agree. IN honor of all the veterans i am going to start a book about the Korean war I think. It is going to be about war just have to decide which to read. I think i want to know moe about these wars i am so unfamiliar with the ones before i was born.
@STOUTjodee (3440)
Glad you made this post!! Absolutely, we should remember our military people as they are the reason we can have picnics and parties, because they are defending our country!!
@STOUTjodee The exact reason I made this post! If nobody fought in the military we would probably be standing in line for bread and cheese certainly not enough food for cookouts and pic nics!
they need to reflect on this.Saying t hank you to a veteran's
@amadeo I agree we need to say a thank you to a veteran and reflect on it like so many don't do
@ridingbet (53108)
this day should also be commemorated with utmost respect because lives were given up for freedom.
We have a Veterans cemetery in the next town and usually the by scouts take the time to put flags on all the graves there and in other cemeteries that have our armed forces deceased buried in them. It is a fitting tribute I think.