My Favorite B52s Songs: #5 "Channel Z" (1989)

Los Angeles, California
"Channel Z: All static, all day, forever." "Channel Z" was the first single from the "Cosmic Thing" album and failed to chart Billboard Hot 100 but hit number one on the alternative chart. Vocals are typical B52s with Fred Schneider and Kate Person sharing lead with Cindy Wilson joining chorus. The song begins with Fred announcing "I'm livin' on Channel Z!" then the rocking dance beat begins. The lyric "Getting nothing but static, static filling my attic from Channel Z" suggest B52s whimsy but "Channel Z" is an outrage against the crap (static) filling our heads (attics) from the airwaves. Fred lists "Blowin' smoke," "Narrow minds" and "Bombs" and he has had enough: "Good old boys telling lies, 'bout time I got wise." The B52s make serious social commentary! The final denouement "Time to take disinformation and shove it in the shredder" is just as relevant today.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I always enjoyed their stuff, but didn't listen to them that often.
@Ronrybs (7392)
• London, England
Can't say I am familiar with the alternative chart, which is probably why I don't know this one.
@marsha32 (6693)
The only song I've ever been familiar with by them is Love Shack.
I agree this song is equally relevant today as it was then John. I am living not on Channel Z but Planet Z..good enough Hope you doing fine my friend..thanks for the cheery song again.
thank for the information.As I said before this is out of the way for me.