Kay Jewlers and the great diamond swapping mystery

Pixabay image
Rochester, New York
When a man gives a woman a diamond it has sentimental value not monetary value, but sentimental value. When the diamond is switched that sentimental value is gone because it's not the original gem. There's no love in the switched gem like there is in the original. Ladies all over are saying that they took their diamonds to Kay Jewelers for inspections or to get fixed and their diamonds are being replaced with cheaper stones known as Moissanite's. A representative from the company has said that they are looking into this situation and will do what it can to ensure that this doesn't happen again. Now the parent company is Signet believes that any complaints about the swapped diamonds are minimal compared to the huge amount of satisfied customers who are happy with the services provided. Obviously it's not a company policy to switch the diamonds, so it must be certain staff members doing it. It's a shame that the company takes a hit because of some dishonest staff members. The best thing to do is clean the diamond yourself or take it to a jeweler that you trust because obviously it's not safe to take it to the store you bought it from. If you do take it to the store you purchased it from demand to stay present during the cleaning and adjusting this way you can ensure that your diamond stays intact.
@boiboing (12882)
• Northampton, England
That's disgraceful. If they're really swapping real stones for fakes, they should be prosecuted.
They should be prosecuted that is stealing.
• Rochester, New York
From what I understand a few of the ladies are taking them to court. They should all take them to court to be honest.
@boiboing (12882)
• Northampton, England
@LisaSteinmetz Maybe the ones they originally sold weren't real either.
I saw this on the news as well. I think it is the employees. For me, when I have jewelry cleaned - I watch them so there will be no time for them to switch anything out. But, there are people who trust and leave their diamonds to clean while they shop or something.
• Rochester, New York
It's a good idea to stand and watch them. Better to be safe than sorry.
@LisaSteinmetz I agree. That sucks its happened to many people.
@annierose (18023)
People should be careful when they go to the store to have their diamonds clean. Anyway, why should there be a swapping that happens if the owner of the diamond go to the store where she bought it? I think the owner will not do such a thing to their customers or else they will lose them.
• Rochester, New York
It was proven that the diamonds were switched. There is a number on the diamonds that should match a certificate you get when purchasing diamond rings. A jeweler can read the number and compare the number to both the ring and certificate. Some of the gem numbers on the rings didn't match their original certificate numbers.
@annierose (18023)
@LisaSteinmetz Were the guilty ones put to the jail after it was proven? Did the owner of the shop knows what was going on all along?
• Rochester, New York
@annierose I honestly don't know the answer to that one.
My mother had a black pearl ring that she took to be glue into a jeweler and they gave her a white pearl back her and my Dad stood right there until they found her rare pearl and gave it back to her. They were trying to keep it.
• Rochester, New York
It's a good thing your dad was there to get the black pearl back. Hopefully your parents called the police on them or BBB.
@LisaSteinmetz It was so long ago I do not remember.
@zarlamain (24889)
That is horrible! Those employees probably pocket the real diamonds after the switch and sell them for money.
• Rochester, New York
I would not be surprised if they were doing that. Diamonds are worth quite a lot.
@zarlamain (24889)
@LisaSteinmetz Definitely. On top of their salaries, they made some extra money off of the stolen goods.
@marsha32 (6691)
sounds like dishonest and greedy employees to me
• Rochester, New York
If that's true then it's a shame that the jewellery chain will take a huge hit for it.
Never thought a jeweler would do a swap like that. Thanks for the warning. Would hate to have my diamond replaced.
• Rochester, New York
Your welcome. I would take your diamond to a honest jeweller if you absolutely have to and keep it in your eye site to be safe.
@LoriAMoore (4675)
Oh my word, I hadn't heard that story. I've always worried about that when I take my ring in for cleaning, even though it's only out of my sight for 10 minutes. And my jeweler isn't Kay.
• Rochester, New York
I would make sure you stand there and watch the cleaning take place. You never know what could happen to your diamond.