"You like working third shift?"

I've got to run out the door as soon as I tag and hit "start discussion." I wanted to mention this the other day but forgot about it. I was at work Friday night and the manager of the store was closing the store so was there. Anyway he walks up to me and asks me how I'm doing then asks if I like working third shift. I said yes. I do love it, but I also know why he wanted to know. He's been asking everyone if they want to be back up scanning coordinator (hangs tags, etc etc) and well I do not. I don't like the scanning coordinator, there is just something about her... He then asked why I haven't posted for full time in my own department. One guy is leaving which will leave a position open. I told him "I'd love to but I can't throw as many cases as ____ and ___" I do throw a good amount though, but I won't stress myself out over having to throw more. I didn't tell him that though, just that I couldn't throw as many as they could. He says, grumpily "I understand." No he doesn't understand. If he would work with me a little bit, he'd have a loyal person who would come in and do the best they possibly could but instead nope. We have a high turnover in our department, one guy already left, leaving us back down to only two part timer's (three if you count a guy who only comes on Sunday's)... I know a few things the uppers don't know so I'm not going to stress over him not working with me on it. the time will come when he'll have to do so.
I used to work the grave yard shift and that was the best shift for me. We did not have to pay anyone to watch our kids.
Yes but I can see it being difficult on family life. I have co-workers who stay up more during the day so that they can spend time with their kids. I don't fault them there but then they don't have the energy when it's needed.
I never liked working third shift. Have had to when younger but, when I got more experience I always expected banker's hours so I could be home with the kids in the evenings. I guess it all depends on what your family life is like.
I don't have a family and I am not sure that I ever will. There's a lot I could say about that but I am not sure I'm comfortable with discussing it quite yet. I've wondered to myself though, how different it will be when / if I do find myself with a family. I guess I'd be asking to work in a different department, that is if I stick it out where I am now. It's a whole different ballpark if I became pregnant, I couldn't be a stock clerk, atleast not running stock. I wonder if they would keep me on to block the store, which requires no lifting.
@ScribbledAdNauseum .....I'm sure if they find your work good then they would want to keep you and make allowances if you were to become pregnant.
@celticeagle Oh I know they work with people who become pregnant but well this is the first time a woman's been on the stock crew at my store in YEARS. I think most would want to switch departments, but if I could absolutely help it I'd rather stay third shift. All my complaining aside.
I worked third shift very little, but when I did I quite liked it. Is third shift the overnight shift? We never called it third shift.
Third shift / overnight shift / graveyard. I've always referred to it as third shift or overnight. Anywhere from 8 pm - 8 am.
@ScribbledAdNauseum That is what I've guessed. But I've always heard, day shift, evening shift and night shift.
@Macarrosel (7636)
When I was working in the bank, we didn't have shifting works. We all work office hours. So I have no idea if it is good to work shifting hours.
A lot of the people I've talked to over the years, that work / live in the Phillippines? They all seem to work office hours.
• Marion, Kansas
If more management would work with their employees and listen to them they would find that it would be easier to keep solid employees.
Sadly GG, everyone at our store (all departments) have a qualm with the manager of the store. Our whole store would run more smoothly if we could get him booted out. It's sad because our department is going down fast, people are leaving and it wouldn't surprise me if two more left.
Like you say, eventually he'll have to be flexible on it.
I'll just bide my time until it happens...