Mental Health Stigma

By Lola
@Lolaze (2865)
St. Louis, Missouri
Mental health stigma is a large problem in society. It can cost people relationships and even jobs. When I lost my job due to declining mental health and being hospitalized, I also lost all of my friends from that job. My boss told them that their jobs would be in danger if they were found to be hanging out with me – as if they could catch a mental illness from just being around me! Not only was my life in ruins but I'd lost my entire support system. God forbid if you have to go into the hospital because of mental health problems! Everything you do is wrong and the staff can make no mistake as far as they are concerned. Last time I was inpatient, a nurse didn't bother to tell me a phone message that was left for me. When I suggested they should've written it down, I was screamed at and then called stubborn for going to my room to take a nap! Having a mental health diagnosis means hospital staff can treat you however they want and blame you for anything they neglect to do. I will always live with mental health stigma because of my diagnosis and what I've been through in my past. It's something I've chosen to fight by speaking out rather than hide from by staying quiet.
@zarlamain (24185)
I suffered from depression, bipolar disorder, and obsessive compulsive disorder as a kid. I've been much better now, but depression is still lingering.
@Lolaze (2865)
• St. Louis, Missouri
I'm glad that at least some of it has faded for you!
@zarlamain (24185)
@Lolaze I only have depression phases these days, but the memories are still there!
At least you know you have a problem and admit to that. I was the only one who helped out a friend that had biopolar in high school.