Final Countdown

Picture is mine.  It was taken on a vacation in Maine a few years ago.
@BettyB (4221)
Summerville, South Carolina
Tomorrow will be my last official day as a teacher. When I wake up Wednesday morning I will be a retiree. I’ve had doubts over this last year. My original plan was to teach two more years, but my doubts have slowly fizzled away. I’m ready to embrace a new reality. I have a friend that swears I’ll be back in the classroom within a year. We even have ten bucks riding on it. I will not feel the least bit guilty taking his money. The doubting Thomas doesn’t know me as well as he thinks he does. I have several friends that retired and then ended up reentering the workforce. Most claimed it was boredom that finally pushed them into going back to work. I don’t think I’ll have time to get bored. I will start each day with a three mile walk with my girlfriend/neighbor. I have books to write, books to read, and books to review. Writer’s groups, travel, craft projects, and a more active role in the women’s ministry at church. Bored? Nope. That’s not going to happen. Tomorrow will be a day filled with laughter and tears. The memories will be bittersweet, and I will glance back often, but it’s the road ahead that intrigues me. Who knows what lies around the next bend in the road…
Congratulations - you are joining the best club in the world. Enjoy!
Yes, welcome to the best club in the world "The Retirees Club.
@BettyB (4221)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I've been looking forward to joining that club for ages.
@BettyB And now you are officially in the Club.
Congratulations on your retirement and I am sure you will find that you can't imagine how you ever had enough time to work, that is what my life is like.
@BettyB (4221)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I know I won't have any trouble staying busy.
And if you ever do get bored you can always visit Mylot too! =)
@BettyB (4221)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I look forward to spending some time here every day.
@BettyB Good! =) We look forward to you being here as well.
@chris2050 (1335)
• Manila, Philippines
as a young teacher, doing a job that I really like, I usually ask myself, what will I do without my students? Maybe because you are not yet retire, you are not yet in that life, where you have to wake up in the morning, and not heading to that classroom, maybe Thomas is right, and at some, you will just go back. It's easier to say "I won't do it", when it's not yet the time, then reality comes, and we find ourselves doing it... So let's see
@BettyB (4221)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I don't believe I will go back. I've written and published three books. I want to focus on that.
I would not get bored when I finally get to retire.
@BettyB (4221)
• Summerville, South Carolina
So many of my friends are afraid to retire. They're convinced they will be bored. That doesn't worry me at all.
Good for you as you seem to have planned your retirement a bit before hand,I got retiredbefore I intended to stop then was asked to come back. Sorry folks I had a bad fall broke my l;eft shoulder so badly that I had to have an articial shoulder joint so my days at the library were donel I found my lot the old one and that savedme from boredom
@BettyB (4221)
• Summerville, South Carolina
Planning is a big factor. I think the ones that retire without a plan in place are the ones that end up bored.
@Deepizzaguy (13038)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
Being a school teacher must be the toughest job anyone will ever love. I am sure your students will thank you for your service down the line.
@BettyB (4221)
• Summerville, South Carolina
Its fun running into students from years past. They see things in a whole new light.
You sound very prepared for retirement. Enjoy!
@BettyB (4221)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I'm looking forward to it.
i'm so delighted fer ya, reachin' this milestone'n also fer havin' plans to ensure that'cha aint jest gonna be sittin' 'round not doin' much'f nothin'. volunteerin' 's a wonderful thingy :) big hugs to ya!
@sueznewz2 (9993)
• Alicante, Spain
yours sounds like a very positive attitude... I hope you are enjoying your first day ... as a retiree....
• Rochester, New York
I hope you have a wonderful retirement!
@thelme55 (14571)
Enjoy your retirement. I am sure you will do a lot of writing here and there.
@Inlemay (16542)
• South Africa
enjoy your last day!
@miniam (9241)
• Bern, Switzerland
Congratulations,you made it.what make people go back to work is boredom,not having planned what to do with the time.But if you have things to do,you`ll be so busy you`ll be wondering where the time went. No more early mornings for you well done.
Retiring is bittersweet but I"m sure you'll embrace retirement and not find yourself bored at all. Good luck with all that the future brings
@fishtiger58 (30338)
• Momence, Illinois
Sounds like you have plenty to do after today. Enjoy your retirement, it's really nice to be you own boss.
You're very lucky, so congrats. I'm still in my 8th year looking for a full time role. I have one month left of my temporary high school contract. The pressure to rejoin in August after summer holidays will be pressing on me. I have already made up my decision; I won't be returning.
Today is your last day as teacher, I am sure it's a bittersweet day. A chapter of your life ends and another starts. Men get bored when they retire, not women, we are more creative and we have a zillion things to do. I am sure you will enjoy your time from tomorrow.
I hope you enjoy your time as a retiree but like what your friend said, I think you're going to miss teaching and might go back.
No, you won't be back and you won't be bored. Congratulations!