Paying taxes on online earning sites

Have you ever joined a site where you ended up paying taxes on your online earnings? I was just wondering as someone told me that sometimes the limit in earning is around $600 a year, and I"ve managed to make around $400 on one survey site in the past 5 months. Have you ever paid taxes on your online earnings? How much did you earn before having to pay taxes on it? Some people are telling me $600, others are telling me $1099. I will be doing some research for sure just to make sure. I am sure I won't make the $1,099 but unsure about hte $600. It could happen. Have you ever paid taxes on any of your online earnings? How exactly did you do it?
Legally, ALL income is to be reported to the IRS. But having said that, I don't know anyone that reports it and pays taxes on it.
Hmm. Interesting. So what you are saying is that we are all evading taxes? Oh boy. See you in the big house!
@maezee Yeah, technically we're supposed to report any other income when we file our W-2 forms
@JoiletJake I even report the use tax for our state. Most do not.
@fishtiger58 (30338)
• Momence, Illinois
I don't pretend to understand taxes, but ebay doesn't tell the IRS anything until you have earned $20,000 in a year. I think I have that right.
@KristenH (24102)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
I never heard of this before.
Did I make it understandable though? If you earn over a certain amount I believe they send you a tax form. And you get penalized during the next tax time. So you have to pay taxes on them (after the fact). Of course I have never heard of a site that actually deducts taxes from what you've earned, probably because we usually only earn a few bucks here or there.
@KristenH (24102)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@maezee It does in a way. I would never make that much money alone from these sites.
@earnnings (1299)
Frankly speaking, I have never earning a good amount online. I dnt get such dort of site till now. So dont have an idea regarding this
@zarlamain (24525)
Regardless of the amount in online income, you are technically supposed to claim all income earned.
@miniam (9241)
• Bern, Switzerland
While doing the research it`S important to remember some states might have different law.
@chris2050 (1335)
• Manila, Philippines
Yes, I know about the payment of taxes for online earnings, it apply when you make $1,099 in a year, not $600. I was recently hired by an online company to do some translation and transcription jobs, I was sent the W-2 form, but it was stated that, if I don't live in the U.S, there is not any need for me to fill that form. It was explained in the contract that the taxes applied if the earnings reach $1,099, well, I got all my money without filling that form, because I am not U.S based, so if your earnings will reach $1,099, I guess there is nothing to worry about...
Some sites when you get close to the $600. want you to fill out a form so they can report it. You can also report any amount when you do taxes, under the hobbies part.