A young punk robbed my sister last night.

my sister's home
My sister lives in senior housing in our former city. She smokes, and to do that they have to go away from the house. At two this morning she was smoking. One of her neighbors has guests, a grandson and a friend staying in her apartment. They came and talked with sis. The grandson left to go to the apartment. The "friend" suddenly needed to go to the bathroom, could he use hers? She does not walk fast, so did not get to the door until he was back out. He left. She keeps her glucometer and her wallet in her purse. In her wallet she has her more valuable jewelry, as well as her ID, and cards of all kinds. She went to test her blood sugar and her wallet was gone. She has filed a police report, made the calls she could for replacing items, but the police, when they came out, talked to the young men who said she was lying. They did not finger print the purse or anything. The young men were supposedly heading to Topeka today. If they pawn the jewelry you can bet it will not be in town in McPherson. The neighbor's wallet disappeared last week, but I imagine she did not file a report. Be careful. It is not the stranger that is the danger, but someone you may know and talk to daily.
@GardenGerty Very disturbing! Did your sister mention it to the officers about the neighbor?
They talked with him at three this morning. He denied knowing anything about it. Evidently they need some firm evidence on him as he does seem to prey on the elderly. It is easy to insinuate that the elderly are absent minded old fools.
@GardenGerty Sounds like a job for 'a sting operation'. Does she have a computer?
The older lady who lost her billfold last week had accepted a ride from this young man to do some errands. After all, he is her grandson's friend. She does not believe he stole it, but rather that she carelessly lost it.
That is the case with a lot of crimes. They know the perp which makes it all the more worse.
Yes, evidently he is suspected of more than this.
It does not sound like the police did all that great a job. thats really too bad. the young fellow wantn to use her restroom should have sent a red flag as thats a ploy a lot of ;punks use to rob and steel. we need to watch everyone as a lot of times its someone we know.
You are right. If they were living nearby and needed a bathroom, why not walk to where they lived?
He was faster than she was at getting up to the apartment. She says he probably did not touch the outside of her purse, the wallet was in wet garbage so there are no prints. They are taking a description of the jewelry to share across the state though.
@GardenGerty hope they ru n him down wity the stolen jewerly what an arful thing to happen. Liike so meone here who I might have known managed to steal my hundred'dollars back away they did nothing about t he theft
• Westland, Michigan
That is such a shame. I have had ID and money and wallets stolen over the years and I just can't believe some people.
I am disturbed that they did not fingerprint the purse.
What a shame that is. I am always on guard no matter where I am. I do not even like acquaintances in the house.
@RubyHawk (23521)
• Atlanta, Georgia
i always keep my purse and valuables well out of sight.
My sister is not cautious enough but this is so not right!
Whata horrible thing to have happened to your sister. I suppose there is no proper evidence so the police couldn't do a lot.
Not enough to make an arrest or even get a search warrant. He quickly ditched the wallet and cards in the dumpster, and took the cash and jewelry. The police are putting out alerts about the jewelry.
@topffer (33798)
• France
It is a shame, but it will be difficult to prove who was the robber. In French retirement homes and hospitals, most of the times people are robbed by employees. My father had his wallet stolen in a hospital. He had many relationships in the administration, and one of them threatened the administration of the hospital of retaliatory measures if one of his IDs was used. They investigated and the wallet was brought back to my father by a social worker two days later with all his papers and money...
@RubyHawk (23521)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Your dad was a lucky man. It doesn't often happen that way.
@topffer (33798)
• France
@RubyHawk He rang at the good door, and I guess the administration of the hospital was scared enough to investigate and give his wallet back. He never knew who robbed it, but it is a common practice in many public hospitals, and they tell us to not take any money when we go to a hospital...
Sometimes that also happens here.
@scheng1 (24806)
I think not worth being too nice to people. I will not let anyone comes to my house unless I am inside, not even for them to use the toilet! I think your sister is just too nice. She should complain about the police who turns out but never does anything more to help her.
He got up and basically let himself in faster than she could get up and follow him. The police are putting out a description of the jewelry and trying to help.
@scheng1 (24806)
@GardenGerty I hope that they warn all the old people in the district. I hope that he gets caught soon and gets a very stiff sentence.
That is so sad. I hope the authorities catch them and get the jewelry and such back.
Someone had her call the trash hauling company, and they found the wallet with all of her medical cards and Vision card, and ID still there. Unfortunately the cash and jewelry were gone.
@GardenGerty ....Oh, I am sorry to hear that. I hope she is more careful next time. And, I hope those two are caught.
@gr8nana6 (2195)
I am so sorry that happened to your sister. I agree with @Hatley that the police slacked in their duties as they should have taken fingerprints from the guys and the purse.
I think they did what they could. They could not have gotten prints off the purse, evidently as he just put his hand down inside the top.
@marsha32 (6693)
strange that they were up and around outside messing around a senior living center at 2 am to begin with...that should have put up a red flag to the police to start with.
The grandma of one of the two young men lives in the facility. Grandma was visiting a friend and let her grandson and his friend the crook stay at her place. Kind of like your son staying with your mom, then having a friend over. They are allowed to have guests stay on occasion. The grandma has gotten a write up over this as they are responsible for the behavior of their guests. Three write ups and you are out of the housing.
I am so sorry to hear this Heather but so glad that your sister was not hurt by these punks.
The guy goes around "borrowing" two dollars here and there from various older people at this place and others til he has enough for pot. He tells the seniors that he needs medicine and is short. He is a sneak thief, not even brave enough to face someone who might fight back.
@kellyr634 (424)
Such a shame. Can't trust anyone these days!
@dodo19 (32682)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
It doesn't seem like the police were doing everything they could. They weren't doing a good job, it seems. If they've done it before they'll do it again.
The thieves threw the wallet away after taking the money and jewelry. I wish they would dust for prints, but I guess prints on the outside of the purse would not mean much.
@dodo19 (32682)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@GardenGerty maybe the prints wouldn't mean much but they could find something based on what they were told. Like if they found prints of the punk it might prove something, especially since your sis wouldn't have let them touch it. I know I'm not a police officer, or anything, but it's just a thought. Either way, it's a shame that money and jewelry were lost.
@dodo19 they are helping her contact pawn shops to prevent him from selling them.
I am so sorry. Yet she was looking for trouble talking to people out of the house at 2 AM. My neighborhood is safe, but I don´t push my luck.
@RubyHawk (23521)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I believe my neighborhood is as safe as any, but I wouldn't sit outside at 2 in the morning.
@RubyHawk Me neither. And my daughter, who has an old car, is getting it inside my garage ever since someone broke the windshield in broad daylight 2 blocks away from her son´s school.
There are people who go out at all hours around there. Probably have a hard time sleeping soundly. She was observing the weather and smoking. The person is around the complex all of the time. He is the friend of someone who has a grandmother there. He told everyone he was her grandson.
@sueznewz2 (9883)
• Alicante, Spain
Ooohhh what a shame...i'm sorry she had her things stolen...but its good that they did not hurt her..., is she ok still about being there..., ?
This was not a violent crime, but was a sneak thief crime. She knew he would "borrow" two dollars here and there from some elderly people. Not from her. She always tells people she does not carry cash.
@sueznewz2 (9883)
• Alicante, Spain
@GardenGerty I see ... it must still have been upsetting for her....
• Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Thats horrible, I hate theives and alteast she wasnt attacked or nothing
@RubyHawk (23521)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Yes, that's the good thing.
@MsTickle (24962)
I guess they thought the oldies are a good touch. Shame about the jewellery but glad she recovered her wallet.
We are glad for what we got. Yes, there are people who will target the elderly thinking it is easy to get away with crime there.
@miniam (9241)
• Bern, Switzerland
Twisted punks to steal from an old helpless woman.Some people just dont have any dignity.
@Lucky15 (33416)
The neihbors should have made a report.at least just have your.sister warned ;(
No one has been able to prove he has done anything.