Dive Bombing Birds

Otis Orchards, Washington
When I was a kid one summer there were some birds that would dive at us coming within inches of the top of our heads every time we went to get the mail or the newspaper. The newspaper box was right next to the mailbox. I remember watching Grandma when she went to get the mail or paper. The birds would swoop down within inches of her head. She paid them no attention. I don’t know if she even knew what was happening. If she did she sure didn’t act as if she did. She would just mosey along and the birds would make at least a half dozen plunges at her. The bird never actually hit anyone but they came close. They came so close they were nearly skimming the top of our heads. It turned out they had nests in the trees near the mailbox. They were probably only trying to scare people away to protect their nests. We called them dive bombing birds. Luckily they didn’t poop on any of us as they were making their lunge. That would have turned them into real dive bombers. And that would have absolutely gotten Grandma’s attention.
@sallypup (28089)
• Moses Lake, Washington
We had birds like that a time or two. Then there was the afternoon my Mom got off the Greyhound bus in Seattle and a seagull splatted her. No. I should not laugh.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
No, you shouldn't laugh. It wouldn't be a funny thing if it happened to you. But, yeah, that is funny. A seagull? That must have been a big splatter.
@sallypup (28089)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@RichardMeister Sure was.
Wow! That would be a sight to see! Dive-bombing birds. Your grandma was brave if you ask me because I would have sent someone else out there to deal with the dive-bombers. It is nice to know that the dive-bombers were protecting babies, though.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
I'm sure it was the nest they were protecting since they only did it for about a month or so in the summer. I don't know if Grandma even knew they were diving at her.
@fishtiger58 (30320)
• Momence, Illinois
I had a starling dive bomb me once while I was out walking. I guess it was to protect the nest but I wasn't even close to it. Scared the daylights out of me.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
I think the first time it happens it is a bit scary.
@fishtiger58 (30320)
• Momence, Illinois
@RichardMeister At first I didn't know what it was, but after the 3rd time he came at me I realized what it was. I think he dive bombed me like 6 times before I guess I was far enough away from the tree that he gave up.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
@fishtiger58 Yeah, 6 times sounds about right.
They can be pretty scary! My parents had a nest in one my dad's trees in their backyard . . . if any one got near it, they'd do the dive bombing thing on them! My kids love snooping around and exploring - so my parents didn't let them get near that part of the yard for a while - my dad already got attacked many times (well, he never actually got hit, but yah it was close enough ).
• Otis Orchards, Washington
As many times as Grandma went to the mailbox/paper box I thought the birds would realize she wasn't going to bother the bird's nest, but they always took a dive at her. The first time it happened to me I duck and waved my arms at them like a chicken. But after watching Grandma I realized they probably wasn't going to hit whoever it was they were swooping down on. When I was a kid it was pretty funny to watch. I would like to know if her knew they were diving at her and just ignored them or if she never knew. It was funny because at the time we thought she didn't know. But she was close to 80 at the time and may have known it but knew they wouldn't hit her.
@RichardMeister Or maybe she had been through that many times and just could ignore it? Well, I guess it'd be pretty hard to ignore. There's pretty much no mistake when it happens . . . you can hear something zooming past you - and miss you by a hair! I nearly got attached my a hummingbird once . . . I almost thought it was a dragon!!
• Otis Orchards, Washington
@much2say Maybe that was it. Grandma was hard of hearing and she refused to wear a hearing aid because she said sounds weren't "natural" when she wore her hearing aid. A hummingbird is pretty small to be mistaken as a dragon.
@KristenH (24764)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Aww. I think I see photos of them somewhere on TV. None are found here.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
Well you won't have to worry about them swooping down on you then.
@KristenH (24764)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
• Eugene, Oregon
They were probably nesting Brewer's Blackbirds. They are quite defensive of their areas and routinely perform like that in the spring here too.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
I think they were sparrows or at least that is what they looked like. They were small and brown in color. I'm not a birdwatcher but that is what I always thought they were.