What the Heck is that Smell and Where is it Coming From?

A few days ago my husband and I smelled something funky coming from the direction of the kitchen. So, I went to work trying to figure out where the heck it was coming from. First thought, the trash. Emptied the trash can and scrubbed it clean with my lovely lavender scented cleanser. Well, after the lovely lavender scent went away, the odor was still there, somewhere in the kitchen. Opened the bottom cupboard doors two days ago and yes, that is where the odor was clearly coming from. I knew right away it was a mouse that had died and crawled somewhere. The little brats are notorious for getting into the cupboards. No food is stored there so I don't know why they are there to begin with. We put the old fashioned style traps to catch them. Well, I noticed that one of the traps was missing. Tried to find the dang thing but couldn't see in the dark recesses of the cupboard. Gave up and went to bed. When I got home yesterday the smell was even worse. So my mission went into overdrive. I took everything out of the cupboards. Of course the offending smell had become a pile of nasty way in the back of the cupboard. I couldn't reach it. Hubby to the rescue! He retrieved the stinking mess and cleaned out the cupboard with bleach. Nasty!! Now I need to wash everything in bleach to sanitize it. Nasty little buggers. Wish there was a better way to get rid of them
@PainsOnSlate (20525)
We keep a poison that they eat and then go outside to get to water and they die outside. The only proof of their living in the house is the occasionally find of poop! They don't live in the house in the summer and fall but move in before snow fall.
I usually don't see them in the warmer months.
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
@PainsOnSlate that's when we get them too Marilyn.
@fishtiger58 I can't use poison because of my cats.
@josie_ (7707)
Despite having cats in my home, the occasional mouse would foolishly decide to take up residence. I use fly paper which are adequate to trap them in it's sticky goo. As additional incentive for the mouse I put some peanut butter in the middle of this gooey trap.
i use fly paper, too. thanks for the peanut butter tip.
I use peanut butter in the old traps. Usually they kill them. This one apparently got its paw caught.
@josie_ (7707)
@ElusiveButterfly _An inconvenience looking for where it when to die off. It's the reason I don't like using spring mouse traps. They're messy.
@sol_cee (17346)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
The funky smell has reached me!
@Genipher (5146)
I think that's just the sole of your foot. hehehe
@sol_cee (17346)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
@Genipher The sole of Sol's foot someone licks. lol
@Genipher (5146)
@sol_cee You should write a poem about the sole of sol's foot!!
@Genipher (5146)
Husbands are great at coming to the rescue!
could try balls with peppermint oil on them stuffed places
I have heard of this and forgot completely about it. Willing to try anything at this point.
@ElusiveButterfly if it doesnt work, well it will smell nice
@Jessicalynnt I am going online right now to see if I can find some. I can probably get it at our local health food store, but I am sure the price is a bit high.
Hi Elusive. Oh dear I hate that smell. That is why when I had them in MA, I used the sticky traps instead. That way, they are on it and you can throw them out, they dont get in the hard to reach places.
I have used them and after finding one still living, stuck to one of my plastic bowls, that ended that.
@ElusiveButterfly Oh nevermind then.
@TiarasOceanView, I remember having to take that poor little bugger off the side of the bowl and it was freaking me out. It was clearly in pain and was squeaking. Did I mention my fear of mice? Yeah, it wasn't fun. LOL
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
We have a very old house so we get mice too from time to time. It's totally my hubby's job to deal with that.
He asked me what I do at a clients house of there are mice. Company policy does not let us deal with exterminating vermin. Yay!
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
@ElusiveButterfly I hear that if you got mice you are on your own. I don't deal with that hubby does, we usually only get one or two and get them at the beginning of winter. We usually catch them as well, then no more for the rest of the year.
@fishtiger58 I thought we no longer had to worry about them. I was wrong!
I wonder if there's a hole somewhere that needs closed up? Glad you found it though!
We live in a trailer and there are always places where they can crawl inside. Doubt that I could convince my husband to crawl under the trailer to block any holes.
@ElusiveButterfly lol I sure wouldn't be able to do it! I have a huge fear of spiders! lol
@missjessicadawn spiders, dirty dark places with bugs of any time.
@valmnz (12744)
• New Zealand
We're lucky we don't have that smell, thanks to our intrepid hunter, Smooch the Cat!
My cat left a chipmunk at the doorstep for me today. Yay, but how about the mice?
@valmnz (12744)
• New Zealand
@ElusiveButterfly he's on to bigger and better things, obviously!
@valmnz my husband said she had been stalking a chipmunk this past weekend. She chased it up a tree.
@msiduri (5743)
Oh, ICK. They do find their way in, don't they?
Creepy little buggers.
@msiduri (5743)
@ElusiveButterfly The place where my husband used to work kept feral cats in their warehouse for just that reason.
@msiduri We have 2 cats. Maybe I need to leave the cupboard doors open.
@miniam (9233)
• Bern, Switzerland
Sh** l have never had problems with a mouse here before, must say l have not even seen one close by apart from at night when you bring the trash out,you might see one there.
You are lucky. We live in a rural area and there are field mice all around us.
@miniam (9233)
• Bern, Switzerland
@ElusiveButterfly I too live in a semi rural
@ria1606roy (2847)
• Kolkata, India
Wow! That sounds really sick and disgusting.....glad you found the source of the awful smell in the end.
It wasn't a pleasant thing to find.
• Kolkata, India
@ElusiveButterfly yeah I bet. Stinks. (Literally)
@CRK109 (14413)
ugh. I would have gone out of my mind. I hope that never happens to me. Since I live alone, I know I'd probably have to do it myself but I'd probably be crying the whole time! lol
I am glad that I have my husband to do these nasty tasks. When I open a cupboard and find one in the trap it bothers me. Bothers me even more when they are still alive.
@CRK109 (14413)
@ElusiveButterfly yes, it would bother me greatly, too. I hope I never have those problems around here.
oh i hate it when i can't figure out where a smell is coming from! it's usually because of my kids.
Years ago when the kids were small there were some undefined smells that often came from their rooms.
I found Peppermint plants work very well. I haven't seen a mouse in my house since I got them about two weeks ago.
I have a a spearmint in my garden. I'll try peppermint oil on cottonballls first.
@marsha32 (6689)
oh gross! I'm glad it's usually a rotten potato that is the smelly culprit in our cabinet.
Rotten potatoes gag me too.
We don't have any rats here thank goodness. If we did, I think the two dogs would try to take care of them.
My younger cat is the mouser. She probably would have got this mouse if I had left the cupboard doors open. Don't know how well my dishes would fare if she were to go nuts on a mouse in the cupboard.
Yep, those suckers are gross.
They sure are.
Oh, yuck! Thank goodness your hubs removed it. I can only imagine the smell.
Horrible. Hope not to have that happen again.
@gr8nana6 (2190)
I hate when I have mice in the house, they are so nasty. Glad you found the offender and got rid of him or her.
me too! It was nasty.