The End of Time-Warner As We Know It

@Raelove (16820)
Saco, Maine
I got a letter in the mail the other day informing me that, in just a few months, the name Time-Warner will be replaced by Spectrum. That's the new name that Charter Communications will assign to the company it is going to create from TW's ashes. Of course, the websites flaunting this fact are assuring us that, in the beginning, nothing will change, including pricing. But of course, that's with the caveat that Spectrum will "notify us" if anything in that department DOES change. If I've learned anything at all in life, it's that when one company is bought out by another company, that always starts costing us more money. Or at least those of us who depend on cable. I've heard a lot of stories from people who gave it up and who now use other services such as Netflix, Hulu, Roku, etc. That's all well and fine for those who can afford the technology to hook those types of programs up. But not all of us can. I have a somewhat newer DVD player that is not wifi capable, which means that, to have any such type of program, I'd have to run a 20-foot cable from my computer to my TV set. I'll stick with what I have rather than go through all that hassle. Someone suggested to me recently that I should watch movies and programs on my computer. Sorry, but I really can't see balancing my laptop with its small screen on my knees to watch a 3-hour movie. So that's out. I will just have to keep contenting myself with cable for the time being, until TW, or Spectrum, or whatever it is they want to call themselves decides they deserve more of my money. I wish these companies realized that we Baby Boomers, and maybe the X Generation will be the last to even bother with cable. No one under 30 that I know has cable, as they do everything on their phones, tablets or iPads. Once we oldsters are gone, cable will probably die right along with us, so you'd think they'd realize this and keep us Boomers a bit happier with more reasonable prices for the rest of our natural lives. Oh wait. This is the real world where it's all about money. Silly me. (Public Domain Image)
@Dena91 (4171)
We used charter for years. About 6-7 years ago we switched to Directv because they offered more for less. And out bill is still cheaper than when we left Charter. We still use charter for our computer and they haven't raised that bill since we stopped the cable tv with them. We liked Charter, no problems other than every month or so they would have a new fee or an increase to an old one. It just got to be too much. With Directv we actually have more channels for less money. Don't know if that would be something you would consider or not. I have had friends and family who used Dish TV and didn't like it as they don't carry a lot of the top choice channels. I guess it depends on what you like to watch and what is reasonable expense wise. Hope that you like charter, and they won't keep raising your bill. Have a blessed day
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
We can't have any other provider here than TW. This is senior housing, and they don't want dishes on the roofs, which I can understand.
I hope they don't raise my bill either or I am going to pay for verizon. I hear they have better internet anyway.
@Dena91 (4171)
@Raelove I understand that decision. Hope you like Charter. Like I said we did, just not the increases.
I am sorry you are having this going on. I have Cable one digital cable and I love it. Have a DVR and I tape movies while watching prime time. Then when all the prime time stuff I want to watch is over I watch the stuff on my DVR. Still have several movies I haven't watched. I can also tape stuff that is one while I am asleep to watch when I get up. And, I don't mind watching Netflix on my lap on my laptop. It's just whatever I am in the mood for.
@Raelove ....No, you wouldn't have it there. I was just explaining their service to me. I watch stuff constantly. It is my background noise some what. I was brought up on TV and enjoy it very much.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
@celticeagle I really don't watch all that much TV. One show during the day and then old movies at night, and that's about it. I was brought up on it, too, but I spend more time online now than watching TV.
@Raelove ....I love it and watch it all the time. Have it on while I am online.
@CRK109 (14421)
I have a 2 year contract with Verizon for right now. When I moved, my old contract was up and I bargained with them for a new one. Roku is cheap, so I bought one before I moved and I love it because, with my Netflix account, I can watch a lot of TV series and some movies on my TV. That was a easy fix. In the next couple of years, I'm going to be researching what I'll need to do to cut the cord with Verizon at least for my TV and landline phone. I'll keep my internet with them, I think. It should be cheap. It's a balancing act, for sure. I love my services right now and since I'm home almost all the time, need my TV and internet. But if there's a cheaper way to get those things, I'll find them eventually! lol
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
The problem with those devices is that you need a wireless router, and I don't have one. I don't like complicating things anymore than I have to, which is why I just like turning a TV on and off and not have to worry about other devices, lists of shows, etc. I'm a surfer. I just go through the channels and stop when I see something I like. I don't even use the onscreen guide! I have watched TV that way for years since I first got cable in the 80's, and I'm fine with it. If the rates go up with the new owners, I'll rethink what I have, as it's the only server we can have here.
@CRK109 (14421)
@Raelove It's good to go with that which makes you comfortable! I have a wireless router through Verizon. It takes care of my computer, TV, phone and even the printer. But as I said, for me I expect my life to be this way for 2 years and then hopefully I can cut the cord.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
@CRK109 I have a router, too, through TW for all that. And if there is a way to tie into it for other services, I have no idea. And I'm not really that interested anyway. I'm satisfied with what I have.
@carebear29 (28369)
• Wausau, Wisconsin
I use Charter
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
Charter is the company that manages Spectrum. Not sure if they will rename all their cable companies Spectrum.
@carebear29 (28369)
• Wausau, Wisconsin
@Raelove YEah. Its Charter Spectrum in my town lol
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
@carebear29 Lucky you. LOL
The website announced nothing will change after the switch to Spectrum. That is so reassuring to know the same horrible Tim Warner customer service will continue under a new name. That's reliability!
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
The more things change, the more they stay the same!
@gr8nana6 (2207)
Yup I got an email from them the other day. I hope they don't raise the prices too much, but if they do I will just cut back to basic cable.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
Same here.
Our son and his wife do not have cable and they are ages 26 and 32 and have other technology for entertainment purposes. I like cable, but could live without it since my husband wants it for sports.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
Good point. My grandkids and all their friends do EVERYTHING on their phones. My grandson told me he likes watching cable because it's "old-fashioned."
We do not have cable TV anymore, when have TV over the Internet.
We use cable here and that is quite expensive. We haven't got the "guts" yet to cut if off, but it's coming.
we have cable here.
I cut my cable over a year ago. I got netflix and love it. There is a box on amazon called the netgear box. It will run you about $25 $30 used. You hook that to your hdmi port and your good to go with netflix. You will also get youtube which also have tv shows. I got a free roku device with time warner. They offered a special and I tried it for one day and canceled. So now my living room also has netflix. I also went to qvc .com and paid for a smart tv in six payments. so that is what I watch netflix on in my bedroom.If you really want to cut cable that is the option for you. I pay $54 with time warner for internet only.