Itchy Ears

@CRK109 (14290)
When I was younger (I hate that phrase! lol), I used to see older folks digging in their ears all the time. And that irritated me to no end. They looked ridiculous and I couldn't imagine what their problem was. Today, I get it. My ears always itch. They are so bad that I finally asked my doctor what the heck is going on in there. He checked and said everything is fine but they're probably very dry. He suggested some baby oil on a qtip to help keep it all lubricated. Well, I'd probably go broke buying all the baby oil and qtips I'd need to keep my ears from itching. Anyone have this problem? (I can't be the only one!) -Claudia- image from pixabay
I have this all the time.You have to moisturize your ears.They get very dried.Do not pick it as you can cause an infection
You are right @amadeo, picking on the ears will make it worse.
@CRK109 (14290)
Alfredo, what do you use to moisturize them?
@marlina YES IT DOES oh so sorry for shouting but momma in 2011 had eczema so bad in the outer ear (before she added another 25mg of Vitamin E to her diet AND put dabs of pure virgin olive oil) and in the creases of the external ear where an itchy reddening crusty rash that just would not heal, I wanted to put a mitten on her hand for a week !
Oh thank goodness! Me too! Drives me crazy. I have been using cortisone cream, but I like the baby-oil idea better. I wonder what us awaits us as time goes on??? Surprise after surprise is no fun at all!
@CRK109 (14290)
LOL! Isn't it awful? I need to find something that really stops the itch or I may go completely bonkers!
@CRK109 It will drive me crazy. I find that the itch keeps me from falling asleep too. I do have some cortisone cream that is also an itch-stopping cream. Today, I used just a bit of Vaseline, which is cheap, and that helped a lot. Now I wonder what other things you and I have in store for us!!!
@CRK109 (14290)
@Corbin5 I'm not sure I even want to think about that one! lol
No, I don't seem to have that problem, yet!
@CRK109 (14290)
Be very glad. It's annoying! lol
@CRK109 I am! Lol! Hope it stops for you soon.
I have to moisturize my ears or they itch like crazy too!
@CRK109 (14290)
what do you use?
@CRK109 I had some ointment for exema so I used that. Once it got feeling a bit better I just use any moisturizer I have. I am a what ever is on sale kind of gal.
I just added more Vitamin E to my diet AND use Olive oil not Baby oil inside the ear , hope it gets better
@CRK109 (14290)
thanks for the tips! I hope it gets better, too. It's just a case of dry skin in a spot where I can't slather on the lotion like I've been doing everywhere else! lol
@CRK109 your welcome for the tips and I almost forgot I sometimes add a little walnut oil to my bath water twice a month for a real treat but it is expensive ! I smell so great afterwards and my skin just drinks it in
@bwjsdems (502)
• New Zealand
Mine itch every now and then - gets a lot worse when I have a cold though. Something to do with the blocked nasal passages/sinuses I think.
@CRK109 (14290)
Now that does make sense since I've been having some sinus problems lately! Thank you, Bobby!
@bwjsdems (502)
• New Zealand
@CRK109 I have a cold at the moment and my ears itch all the time.
Nope i don't seem to have that problem at all. Maybe not yet.
@CRK109 (14290)
I hope you never do! It can be agonizing!
@CRK109 I wish.
@pgntwo (20217)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Have you changed the shampoo or shower gel you use? Or has the local authority made a change to the water quality in your area? Those could be places to look first...
@CRK109 (14290)
No I haven't changed anything. I've moved but the problem started before my move and it's just continuing. No real change.
@pgntwo (20217)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@CRK109 TMB syndrome. Too Many Birthdays.
I rarely have itchy ears to that point. I can only remember maybe twice in my life that I have cleaned then and they itched terribly no matter what I did. I wil have to remember next time to use baby oil and a qtip to see if that will help to moisturize them.
@CRK109 (14290)
The baby oil, for me, works for a little while and then the itching comes right back. So I need to find something else. I'm just always a little hesitant about what to put inside my ears!
@CRK109 Maybe neosporin?
@1hopefulman (22555)
It can drive me crazy. Hopefully someone suggests something that really works.
I've been finding myself itching my ears lately too.