Smelling the Rosa Rugosas

@Raelove (15042)
Saco, Maine
One of the perks of driving around the beaches here this time of year is seeing the roses start to bloom. The typical variety of Rosa Rugosa produces a bright pink flower whose scent defies description. Last night, I saw a white variety, called Rosa Rugosa "Alba" growing among some pink ones near my favorite beach. I wasn't able to get close enough to take in its scent, but I did manage to get a couple of photos of one. The light was bad, as it was very foggy along the coast. But once again, the camera surprised me with a very good image. The roses grow on very dense and prickly shrubs that are virtually indestructible. For this reason alone, they are a great choice for around a foundation, as the thorns are a great deterrent to vandals and thieves who have their eye on getting into a home through a window. At another nearby beach, they grow for hundreds of yards along a concrete seawall, where they also help with erosion. Town crews keep them trimmed so tourists can see over them in the winter months. But they quickly start growing again in the spring and are soon covered in blossoms. Another benefit of the Rugosas is that they produce a fruit called a rose hip that can be used to make jelly, jam and tea. The hips appear in mid to late summer, are bright orange-red, and provide color once the flowers have faded. Rugosas are also very hardy and grow in USDA zones 3-8, which means that they tolerate cold winters and warm summers. So they're a good choice for anyone who wants a permanent living wall of color and incredible fragrance all summer long. Photo Copyright@2016 Rachel Lovejoy
I love those roses, my parents had them growing at their summer house along the St Lawrence River.
@Raelove (15042)
• Saco, Maine
They're part of the landscape here along the coastline.
@Raelove I guess it is pretty similar over there.
That's a pretty good photo capturing nature's purity of white.
@Raelove (15042)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks. I'm surprised it even turned out, as the light was very poor. Another gift.
That's a great shot. It would be nice to live in a coastal area.
@Raelove (15042)
• Saco, Maine
It is. I am just a 10-minute drive for several beaches. I love it.
@Raelove I am so jealous. I have to drive 2 hours before I can visit a nearby beach.
@Raelove (15042)
• Saco, Maine
@Shavkat Two hours is still better than some here in the U.S. who live thousands of miles away from any coastline. Do it whenever you can. It's worth it. My son's girlfriend has never seen the ocean, as she has lived in Colorado all her life. There are millions of people like that.
I know those roses, they grow here, they have a very pleasant scent and I made jellies using their fruits.
@Raelove (15042)
• Saco, Maine
That's right. And the fruits, called hips, are very high in Vitamin C.
@Raelove I did not know they are high in Vitamin C, the jelly has a pleasant taste.
@Raelove (15042)
• Saco, Maine
@LadyDuck Yes, slightly tangy but mild, too.
Roses have been in bloom for quite a while here. They are called 'Kock Out Roses' and that's pretty much the only kind you see. Not the best soil for roses, but that kind seem to do well if they are taken care of.
@Raelove (15042)
• Saco, Maine
I know what those are. They are somewhat different than Rugosas, but I haven't yet seen a rose that wasn't beautiful.
@Raelove My father's life and his job was agriculture but veggies, not flowers so I'm not up on the name of you rose.
@Raelove (15042)
• Saco, Maine
@AbbyGreenhill It goes by lots of names, including beach rose or Japanese rose. I only recently learned its technical name of Rugosa. I think they have the best scent of any rose I've ever seen.
@zarlamain (24032)
Such beautiful flowers. I would love to grow some in my backyard.
@Raelove (15042)
• Saco, Maine
I'm sure you could do it.
@zarlamain (24032)
@Raelove Thank you!
• Aberdeen, Scotland
I love all kinds of roses, they are so pretty.
@Raelove (15042)
• Saco, Maine
They are are.
@CRK109 (14368)
My favorite lighthouse has a lot of roses growing all around the area. They are small but their scent is divine. Every time Britt and I would drive out there, I'd stick my nose into the flowers before we did anything else! I miss going out there, although one of Britt's female co-workers told me that she does drive out that way once in a while and she might be able to pick me up and bring me for a ride one of these days. Now that would be a real treat!
@Raelove (15042)
• Saco, Maine
Yes it would. I hope you get to do that someday.
We don't have roses along the beach here. It must be neat to see that.
@Raelove (15042)
• Saco, Maine
Oh it is. The best ones I saw were in Nova Scotia a few years ago. The rose hips were the size of small apples, and the flowers were huge.
They are very beautiful.
@Raelove (15042)
• Saco, Maine
Yes, they are and their scent is indescribable.
@gr8nana6 (2251)
I love all roses, this one is gorgeous.
What an odd looking flower.
@Raelove (15042)
• Saco, Maine
It's only partly opened.
@Raelove ....I see.