My end results from the conference last night

@KristenH (24728)
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Since I didn't get a chance to do a post-conference wrap-up post last night, due to super fatigue and going to bed early, here's my post about it. As for the pitch, I glad I wasn't the first ones to pitch like my friend Michelle who's from the same local Nano group as me. I had a little hour to prepare and mentally practiced in my head. Since the pitch room was down a hall, a 2-3 minute walk, I left at 11:07 AM and practiced with the Rocky soundtrack in the background until I got there. When I waited for my time, I was a bit nervous and almost wet my pants. But I took my time and did my verbal pitch from hook to synopsis from my new revised query. When I finished, I answered his questions about Venom, my new projects (Chain Reaction, my other ms and my new ms, Diplomatic Immunity, which has series trilogy potential if I can figure it out.) But I told him V is a stand-alone. He asked me about my background and experience, when I told him about the research I've done for it back in 2008. That's going back a long way. The end result: a 50 page partial (which is around 5 chapters) and synopsis that I didn't have with me. As for that agent I mentioned to you, I did met with her 3x, briefly. At sign-in, I shook her head and she hugged me. I told her it was nice to met her in person. But I didn't do lunch with her, since she had it with faculty. After lunch, before the "Writer's Got Talent" anonymous first page session, I met with her there. She asked about how my pitch went and who I pitched to. She promised me she'll save time to meet with me at the end of the conference and after her last pitch. Once again, she gave me a hug. I had a long wait ahead to find out on my partial's fate. During the "WGT" session, when four agents (her included) would listen to the speaker read the anonymous first pages alone, they would stop and raise their hands for their comments. Of course, this was optional, but everyone got feedback out of it. Mine was the only thriller read, the 8th in the batch, and got ripped to shreds. At least three agents commented except for her, thank God. They mentioned they weren't too keen on stakes, stilted dialogue, some sentences were confusing or too busy, and the emotions from my MC were a bit too juvenile. So I'll be working on that first page tomorrow before I send it out this week. As for the post-conference meeting, I had five minutes to speak with her, since her last pitch went over by 10 minutes. Well, I didn't have to pitch her my other ms. But she did asked about the pitch went again and what happened. She asked about what else I'm writing, as I mentioned my second manuscript Chain Reaction and new manuscript Diplomatic Immunity. She thought my novel was Young Adult. I told her it's adult. I did mention she didn't comment on my first page. She did tell her it's hard and to keep trying, since it's a long progress. I did mention to her the other agents that have shown interest in it for over a year. In the end, she said she haven't read my partial yet, and to nudge her in two weeks, since she's swapped with work. She did give me her business card. So now I'm hoping, though my first page sucked, since she was sweet and nice in person and via email, that she likes me and liked my novel, beyond the first page. Until then, I can hope she can upgrade it and raise this hopeful balloon higher from the ground. Stay tuned!
• Otis Orchards, Washington
The first page is very important. Editors make a decision on whether to buy a manuscript based on the first page. I always thought that wasn't fair since the ms could get better after a few pages. At least that is what I thought until I was asked to judge a writing competition. Any mistakes made on the first page was made throughout the ms. I have a writer friend who is fond of saying, "Nothing is ever written, it is rewritten." So, yes, it is a lot of work. Good luck with your writing.
@KristenH (24728)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Thanks. So I hope to make it better with last round of revisions. I'm sure the rest is good as gold. I'll be happy to land another Revise and Resubmit out of it.
read that first page outloud. I know things sound different when read normally to being read outloud. So read it outloud and when something sounds off, fix it, when something trips you up, smooth it out!
@KristenH (24728)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Great tips. I plan to do it tomorrow after lunch and do two versions of it. Then I send it to my beta for final pick.
@KristenH I found that if they might be going to read it outloud, well hearing it helps, I do that with my poems, and even did it a bit at the paper, it at least helps you ID awkward sentences
@KristenH (24728)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@Jessicalynnt I hope so. It's almost ready to go out on Friday. I'm considering hiring a professional editor for Venom or another editor at an affordable price this summer.
@CRK109 (14435)
Wow! I am SO impressed with you! You got out there and did your best and I know it's going to pay off! Congratulations!
@KristenH (24728)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Thanks Claudia! I hope so. I hope this agent upgrades my partial to a full, in spite of the first page.
@CRK109 (14435)
@KristenH I hope so, too!!!!
@KristenH (24728)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@CRK109 Thanks Claudia. Now I have a long waiting period ahead of me for this summer after I hit send this week.
@kevin1877uk (36964)
It sounds like it all went well, so glad you didn't wet your wet, that would have been embarrassing for sure. It sounds like it was none stop day for you. I hope so good comes out of it all, all the very best my dear friend.
@KristenH (24728)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Pretty much. Yeah it was. I managed to go to the bathroom after I was done. Yep. Thanks Kevin.
@kevin1877uk (36964)
@KristenH That's great, glad it was, so fingers crossed then and something good comes out of it. Did you have to travel far to get there?
@KristenH (24728)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@kevin1877uk Thanks Kevin. Not too far. About 40 minutes. But on the way, there was a traffic jam and road construction that made the trip longer like a hour, before I had to go shopping and be home late.
• Preston, England
sounds quite an engaging conference - well done for presenting your work - must have been danting to talk to so many
@KristenH (24728)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Well two agents. Thanks Arthur.
• Preston, England
@KristenH I have faced panel interviews - never easy
@KristenH (24728)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@arthurchappell True. I was nervous talking to both of them. On Friday, I'll be sending my 50 page partial to one agent and nudging the other.
Despite everything, it does sound like it went well. Looks like you have some work ahead of you.
@KristenH (24728)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
It did went well. Not too bad to tweak first page this week. My full will be done by next weekend hopefully.
@KristenH Sounds good.
@KristenH (24728)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@just4him Thanks Valerie.
@skysnap (17959)
I am not really comfortable with public speaking. sortof stage fright.
@KristenH (24728)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
I don't blame you. I'm the same way. But I managed to do it somehow.
@skysnap (17959)
@KristenH so how did you overcome the fear?
@KristenH (24728)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@skysnap Practice, practice, practice on Friday and a bit on Saturday morning.
You went and did what you needed to do. You have feedback so just go with it from there.
@KristenH (24728)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
That's the plan. I don't want to do another pass to fix those errors again. I'm so close of finishing it by next weekend.
@KristenH I'm sure you will get it all done and they will approve.
@KristenH (24728)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@Susan2015 I hope so. I sent out a new batch of queries today and hope to land new requests.
@1hopefulman (31632)
All the best!
@KristenH (24728)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Thanks
It sounds like the conference was really helpful! Congrats on what you have accomplished!
@KristenH (24728)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
It was. Thanks Jean!
@MarymargII (10396)
• Toronto, Ontario
Sounds like you had a successful meeting and all is going well.
@KristenH (24728)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Pretty much.
@gr8nana6 (2191)
Congratulations, hope everything works out good for you.
@KristenH (24728)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Thanks. I hope to send out my partial next week and hear back from that agent, a week from today.
@ridingbet (57740)
my, this is a long discussion.
@KristenH (24728)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@garymarsh6 (14347)
Sounds like you had a very busy and nerve wracking time!
@KristenH (24728)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Yes I was. I don't want to go through that experience again.
• Eugene, Oregon
I hope the revisions work well for you. It must have been hard to hear the shredding.
@KristenH (24728)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Thanks James. It was. But I'm hitting a brick wall when it comes to emotional depth. My partial will go out next week instead of tomorrow right now.
@acelawrites (12227)
Hope your work would be successful, and you passed the first phase of it.
@KristenH (24728)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
I hope so. First page is almost ready--I'll send out my 50 page partial on Friday hopefully.
I do hope that something comes from all of that! I'd love to see this in a bookstore!
@KristenH (24728)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Thanks Jess. Me too. Probably in 2017, if I land an agent and pub deal by the end of summer or early fall.
@irishidid (8714)
Getting your feet wet (so to speak) is a great start.
@KristenH (24728)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
I believe so. I rather Twitter pitch than do a live pitch again.
@LoriAMoore (4684)
Good luck.
@KristenH (24728)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Thanks Lori.
Sounds a bit rough, but educational. I hope you get some valuable contacts out of the conference.
@KristenH (24728)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
I did meet new writer friends who are on Twitter. Me too. I hope my new query will land me new requests this week and all summer.