"Sorry, can't speak, got my mouth full"

By JJ
So I have a chipmunk (or two or three) that feed out front of the house at the Squirrel Tree pretty often. Normally, they are very skittish, and I have been lucky to get any photos at all of them...the majority are rather blurred and you don't see them very good. But during the last 2-3 days, I have one guy here that seems to almost have accepted my occasional presence and will go ahead about his business while I shoot some photos. It kind of fun to watch him scamper around stuffing his cheeks with birdseed and then run off to 'stash' it, then come back a few minutes later to get more. This one isn't an extremely sharply detailed photo (I have some much better) but it does show just about how full his cheeks fill out as he stuffs food in it before rushing off to make a deposit. You might say he's a cheeky little fellow.
@Morleyhunt (19540)
I have only seen one chipmunk around the house. Then there is the tail-less squirrel. I've been seeing him every day or two almost anywhere on the three acres that surround the house. He has been brave enough to come up on the deck while I've been enjoying a coffee outside. There are many, many other squirrels dogging and hiding and chewing the fresh growth off the top of the oak and hickory trees.
I had one last year (squirrel) that had lost its tail, but after two days I didn't see it any more. We get several squirrels outside where we feed, they are fairly used to Dad and I being out there.
@Morleyhunt (19540)
@JolietJake I wrote a post several weeks ago about the mutant squirrel. It looks like a rabbit at a glance, but then it scurries up a tree. One of these days I'll have my camera handy when I spot it....then hopefully it is close enough for a photo.
Daw such a little cutie too! My boss was telling me this morning about a fox that wasn't too skittish. Said he was sitting outside (as we do for breaks) and he sees this fox walking across the parking lot, stopping to eat something off the ground. My other boss goes towards his car (near where the fox is) and the fox doesn't even do anything, still chomping down. He (the fox) only runs when my other boss starts running towards his car.
Mom used to have a fox living under a shed in her back yard in the middle of town. It wasn't real 'people friendly' but I'd see it occasionally while I was outside there. I haven't seen my raccoons since I got this other camera, I wish they'd start showing up again.
@WorDazza (9831)
• Manchester, England
It's believed that wolves were domesticated in this way and eventually evolved into the many breeds of domesticated dog. One or two of them would be brave enough to come closer and closer to human camps to scavenge for food. These would survive far better than the ones who were too afraid and thus the 'more comfortable around humans' genes proliferated ultimately resulting in their domestication. Maybe you are about to start the process of domesticating the chipmunk!!
Scar would sure like that...
@WorDazza (9831)
• Manchester, England
@JolietJake Hmmm!! Not sure the domestication of the chipmunk should have as its driving force the provision of a buffet for Scar!!!!
@WorDazza Not my idea, but I am sure it is his. Poor guy goes bonkers trying to catch himself one.
@nomus24g (21381)
the pic is a bit hazy, could have been sharper...what say veteran?
That is what happens when I shoot through the window using the zoom feature and the sun is shining on the glass. Which might be why I said it isn't very sharp?
This one I shot while I was outside instead of through the glass without zooming it
@nomus24g (21381)
@JolietJake this is better
@sabashekh (1235)
• Bhopal, India
Its indeed very cute .. I too have pictures of chipmunks. But they are so fast to be captured
They are very fast, it took me a long time to finally get some photos
@sabashekh (1235)
• Bhopal, India
@JolietJake yes they are .. It took avlong time for me too :)
What a little cutie, we don't have any here that I am aware of but I do know how hard it is to take shots of wildlife, I have plenty of shots of patches of dirt where a lizard had been when I had tried to take a shot of it. I should be as lucky as you except lizards are even harder to shoot. Really good shot of the lil darlin.
I have empty photos where I've been trying to shoot cranes...
Ain't wildlife grand @JolietJake ? At least you get to see them before they mess up your shot, right?
And the mighty Scar allows this interloper into his realm?
Not if he had HIS way...
@JolietJake That chipmunk better beware the cat's paws of doom!
@Inlemay (16484)
• South Africa
ha ha ha at last we get to see the cheeky one - where is Panther? This photo is of a little albino one found in the Historical Gardens in Cape Town. I had tea with him for hours when I was there. quite tame
He was down at the other end of the yard when I took this one. He's gone after it several times, but it is way too fast for him.
That's cool. We have pure albinos here. I'm so used to them they stopped being 'special' years ago and I forget they are actually a bit unique.
@gudheart (12758)
Aww reminds me of the cartoon chipmunks :D
I call him 'Alvin' in some of my facebook posts about him
@gudheart (12758)
@JolietJake LOL :D A well suited name :D
@JESSY3236 (6051)
He's so cute. Is his name Chip?
Nope, that's Alvin. I used to see Chip 'n Dale cartoons quite a bit when I was younger.
We have 2 of those cute little chipmunks. They are too fast for me to ever get a picture.
It took quite a long time before I was able to get any photos, and just recently they have been staying around a bit more.
• Aberdeen, Scotland
They are so cute, I'll love to see them in my garden, we have squirrels in ours.
My cat, Scar, really thinks he needs one, but I won't let him have one and he's a bit miffed at me about it
@Potorino (293)
Wow surely that chipmunk is cute!! but in my country with don't have that sad.
you can always stage some photos by leaving seed in a spot consistently then lurking. hehe
@Platespinner (16533)
I've seen several chipmunks over the last few weeks. Perhaps I should clarify, that I have seen parts of several chipmunks. Our resident Attila the Hun (aka Smoky the cat) has taken to dropping his leftovers in front of the door from my sons' bedroom into the garage.
@Lolaze (3086)
I'm naming him Alvin and I expect more photos.
@skysnap (17819)
Look at that squirrel.. she stuffed so much in.. planning for winter stock :P
@BettyB (4221)
• Summerville, South Carolina
They're fun to watch but they keep emptying my birdfeeder!
@Lucky15 (33434)
Looks like me at times ;))
@MsTickle (24991)
Goodness, compared to the rest of him, his cheeks look they cou;d explode sometime soon. Heheh, he's so cute.