Do you laugh at people who don't know something?

Perth, Australia
Was just thinking about the people who mock, scoff of burst out with laughter when someone asks a question. I used to see it a lot in school which is normal. Children can bully another person for literally any reason anyway but I have seen this behaviour in adults as well. I do understand that sometimes us humans can ask a silly question because we are tired, not with it or maybe we are just one of those people who lack a bit of common sense. It can happen. But then there are times when a person generally doesn't have a clue about something and gets shot down when they ask about it. They can't help it if they don't know. Maybe they have never heard about it before. Maybe they never had the chance to be taught. Why do people have to be so mean? If you don't know something, then you don't know! We aren't all on the same level of intelligence. That's why it's good to share your knowledge with others so they can learn and vice versa. This is probably a bad example and maybe just me letting off some non-related steam but I remember when I was dating my ex. *cough* a$$hole *cough* I was making him pancakes. It was my first time ever. I had the heat on low which made the batter spread all over the pan lol He came in and was like "You're supposed to have this higher so it doesn't spread like that. You can't make a circle with that heat." I explained that I didn't know that because I'd never made them before and he was like "Well it's friggen common sense." Like dude, no one had shown me before! I didn't know that the batter was going to do that. Should have turned up the heat and pushed his face into the pan and ask if it was hot enough yet. ANYWAY, I didn't like his attitude. Why couldn't he have just given me a little giggle and shown me the better method of cooking HIS breakfast. Not long after that his mum rang him. When he got off the phone he said "I have to go soon." I just asked why and if everything was alright. In a very immature tone of voice he said "Because I'm going out with mum." Why the attitude? How the heck was I supposed to know?? Ok sorry venting about ex. But I think you get me now. Why do some people give others crap just because they don't know something that they know?
I think these people are really immature. It makes them feel big to know something someone else doesn't and they don't have enough manners to be kind about it.
• Perth, Australia
@JudyEv Totally agree with you! To be honest, whenever it has happened to me, it made me feel stupid and small. I don't like it when people act in such a way to make others feel bad about themselves.
@VivaLaDani13 It does make you feel stupid and small which is why people shouldn't do it. I would hope I never do this. I certainly try not to. I berate myself enough when I do something stupid without other people getting in on the act.
@Bluedoll (17052)
@VivaLaDani13 you wrote, We aren't all on the same level of intelligence. Many times that isn't even part of it. People can come from different backgrounds and have different interests. Computers are one example. Some understand almost everything about window 10 while others struggle to find the enter key on the keyboard. Doesn't mean they have more intelligence only more familiar with a particular interest. Shunning others because they are not familiar with topic is just being a snob?
• Perth, Australia
@Bluedoll Oh no I totally agree with what you mean. I hope what I said wasn't taken out of context. I'm not saying on person is dumber than another or one person is smarter than another. I just mean like for example, if you and I sat down together and I didn't know anything about cooking and you did, I'd like you to teach me. And if you didn't know how to moonwalk ( lol ) and I did, I'd teach you. ( just for example ). I mean we all smart. But you would know more than me about one topic and I'd know more than you about another topic. So basically what you just said lol But doesn't mean we are dumb. Just means we have both taken an interest in different things and learned about it. Do you know what I mean? I hope what I said didn't come out offensive! If I sat down with Stephen Hawking, he would say a lot that I wouldn't understand but that would be the beauty of talking with him because after we talk, I would have learned more. But still doesn't mean I'm not smart. But I see what you're saying. I think I could have worded it a bit different.
• Perth, Australia
@Bluedoll That's horrible and it's not fair! That would just be friggen frustrating dealing with too many people like that. Makes me think about sometime last year. I am following a page on Facebook called ABC13 Houston. I want to go there but also because my best friend is there so I just like to keep up with their news. Anyway one day there was a Breaking News report that some building exploded and was on fire. I was trying to figure out if that place was anywhere near my friends house. But I didn't understand the locations they were giving out. I understand how to find streets but they were saying numbers which were referring to the location. I didn't understand. I was trying to ask people in the comments if they could explain the location using street names. Over 20 people were answering me saying things like "How come you don't know?" "Why do you care, you don't even live here?" and "The address was given out!" I already explained to them the reason why. Eventually one lovely lady helped me but geeeeeez people! It was so difficult getting an answer. They were speaking to me as if I was dumb but since I live in a completely different country, I thought they would be a little bit more understanding.
@Daljinder (22173)
@VivaLaDani13 Facebook and understanding don't always go together! I wouldn't be surprised if they started talking to each other and made fun of your lack of knowledge. It's very "normal" thing on facebook!
@Daljinder (22173)
I have been laughed at for not knowing things and also for knowing things! LOL! I may laugh because I ask plenty of silly questions myself. I am a curious person. Sometimes those silly questions are accidental and some deliberate. My laughing or smiling though will never be condescending! Looking through the other side now. The person who knows things is not always very well received by everyone. Either you get dismissed or taken advantage of!
• Perth, Australia
@Daljinder I think it's cool to be a curious person. I like when people ask questions about anything. And yeah that's true actually. Damn those know-it-all peeps!
@Daljinder (22173)
@VivaLaDani13 I think you misunderstood. Sometimes know-it-alls are the ones getting dismissed and taken advantage of. I have been on both sides of the track. Being the one who is clueless and the one who knows it all.
• Perth, Australia
@Daljinder Ah I see. Sorry I misunderstood. I think I just still have Aidan in mind but YES what you're saying it very true! Actually makes me think about when I was a kid. I used to correct people like all the time to the point my parents yelled at me to shut up. I felt bad because I wasn't trying to make anyone feel stupid. I was just trying to correct them. I understand it would have been frustrating for them but that really wasn't my intention.
@Wordly1 (477)
• Kingston, New Hampshire
Sometimes, a good 'come-back' is in order with people like that, like: "Wowwww! How did the World ever manage before you were hatched, jerk???!!!
@Daljinder (22173)
@Wordly Ooooh! I love that one... If I am only slightly irritated, I would "try" to infuse politeness in my response and ask "Why don't show me then?" When I am way pi$$ed then I am known to abandon the task entirely. With a short "Do it yourself then" I will be off doing something more important!
@Wordly1 (477)
• Kingston, New Hampshire
@Daljinder Like....Packing...?...Perhaps? Adios pendejo! :-)
@Daljinder (22173)
@Wordly1 LOL! No I do have a life of my own Work to do. Waste time playing games on PC or chat with friends. They are more important! Another new word/phrase for me today. This is the third one today! Thank you!
@thesids (22358)
• Bhubaneswar, India
Being a Teacher, I can never ever think of laughing at people who do not know something. You are very right when you say... we are on almost the same levels when it comes to intelligence. But intelligence is different thing, being unaware of is different. People who laugh at others when the others do not know an answer - are egoistic, immature and even believers that they are superiors. A set of people one should avoid being with as they can be very highly depressing.
@Daljinder (22173)
@thesids Being a teacher, it kind of becomes a trait in us to educate others. No mocking!
• Perth, Australia
@thesids Oh man yes! I agree with that. Everyone is different but I do know for a fact that being around someone like that a lot can surely bring ya down!
@thesids (22358)
• Bhubaneswar, India
@Daljinder So very true But sadly there are some teachers today who forget that their jobs are around only because some do not know.
@magallon (18119)
That's a very ungentleman manner. I don't like his attitude either. Why laugh at somebody's mistake? Teach him / her instead. You can also correct his / her mistakes by telling them in a nice way. That is to avoid embarrassment.
• Perth, Australia
@magallon Yeah I know right. His attitude was very inappropriate.
@magallon (18119)
@VivaLaDani13 .. I really don't like those kind of person. Maybe, he will not become a good husband too.
• Perth, Australia
@magallon Not sure. I haven't seem him in a very long time. I'm hoping for his next victims sake that he has calmed down.
@chris2050 (1342)
• Manila, Philippines
I will skip your "X" part, I guess he had many like this, no wonder you guys are not together anymore, so I won't even ask "Y", I am not mathematician, lol You see, as an Educator, one of the things I have come to learn, is that, whenever someone is laughing at somebody else, he or she is more foolish than that person. Whatever you know today, you know it because you red somewhere, because someone told, because someone taught you. it's not by some super power that you know what you know, so laughing at someone who haven't figure it out yet, is only showing how foolish you are. that's why in school, we usually say to students, there is no foolish question! If you don't ask, how will you know? The reason why we were laughing in school at our classmate when they don't know something it's only because we were kids, we were teenagers, that's the age, then later, when you start growing up, you realize how bad it was. Some of us, we laughed until the day our turn came to be mocked at, then we stop laughing, because everyone was laughing and it wasn't funny. For me, that's a sign or immaturity
• Perth, Australia
@chris2050 Loved your comment about my ex though lol I remember hearing teachers saying the same thing in school. That there are no stupid / foolish questions. To try to encourage us to ask as many questions as we can so we understand. Definitely agree that it's a sign of being immature and I reckon quite disrespectful too.
@chris2050 (1342)
• Manila, Philippines
@VivaLaDani13 Actually, immature people have not learn about respect yet, so don't expect that from them, they still have several things to understand. Mark Twain said: "Don't argue with stupids people, they will take you down to their level of stupidity, and they will beat you by experience", when I am dealing with someone that I classified already as immature, I don't expect much
• Perth, Australia
@chris2050 lol love the saying. I have heard of that before and I really love it. It is true but sometimes it can be hard to hold back saying what you want to say when someone has been rude or is annoying.
How can people think giggling or laughing is a direct attack to the person not knowing ? Almost sounds like one has to be very careful not to tweak the person for fear of being classified as bullying INSTEAD of being classified as a different kind of organizer of information . . .
• Perth, Australia
@enlightenedpsych2 Giggling or laughing doesn't have to mean they are laughing in a rude way. That wouldn't always be the case of bullying. Can also be a complete misunderstanding. But I'm talking about the ones who are outright and obviously being a bully about it. If not laughing then they ones who come out and mock others for not knowing something. Like saying "You are stupid." or "How can you not know this?" Stuff like that.
@VivaLaDani13 again I realize the 'bullying' is out of hand in some schools; however these children need to get out of the whiny woe is me stage and get a back bone in which understanding someone that calls them names has the problems, not them
• Perth, Australia
@enlightenedpsych2 oh yeah totally agree that is the case. Unfortunately not everyone can handle bullying like that. Everyone is different. Some may just ignore bullying whereas others may cry about it. But yeah I agree that if someone is being bullied for any reason that the reason is coming from the bully and not the one being bullied.
@dpk262006 (56482)
You have a point that till we we know the circumstances of person fully well, we should not mock him for the sake of fun. No one of us is perfect and even when we are grown up, we may not know about many things/skills. It should not mean that others should belittle us. I try to avoid making fun of others, if they are unable to perform/accomplish anything. Like-wise I do not like to be mocked if I am unable to do a task in a proper way. Coming back to your Ex, he advising you and mocking you about preparing pancakes was not in good taste. He should not have done that specially when you explained to him that you were attempting for the first time. In nutshell, he did not deserve you so you should not feel bad.
• Perth, Australia
@dpk262006 That's very kind of you to not want to mock others for not knowing things or being unable to do things. :) And thank you very much for what you said about my ex. He was just a very troubled butt munch!
@dpk262006 (56482)
@VivaLaDani13 - I do not mock others and I know it is not easy for everyone to do everything. On the other hand, I do encourage them and appreciate their efforts. Your ex was not fit for you. You better do not remember him anymore and should move ahead.
• Perth, Australia
@dpk262006 Moving ahead I can do. But forgetting him is a hard task to do that's for sure.
@carebear29 (28647)
• Wausau, Wisconsin
I do and I keep it to myself
• Perth, Australia
@carebear29 Good that you keep it to yourself! I think that's fair enough .
@carebear29 (28647)
• Wausau, Wisconsin
@VivaLaDani13 Right. And people wonder why I am a b*tch lol
@josie_ (7721)
No wonder you dump him. Bullying starts in childhood. Abusive parents in a dysfunctional home is usually the cause. Bigotry and prejudice reinforce the behavior as we become adults.
• Perth, Australia
@josie_ Yeah I eventually escaped him lol Not that I am standing up for him but I'm sure he had his reasons for being the way he was. His dad was like him as well so must have been in the genes.
@Manasha (2317)
• Pondicherry, India
That might be the attitude of some people who knew a little and want to reduce yours attention
• Perth, Australia
@Manasha That's a good point too.
@birjudanak (7293)
its depend on question what they ask because some general thing we all know and they ask for that then we laugh but some things they ask related with work and they are new at that time we explain them because they not know about that thing....
• Perth, Australia
@birjudanak Yeah I know. Some questions can make someone smile because sometimes like I said, we can lack common sense or just not thinking straight.
I don't laugh at people who ask. And as long as they ask nicely, I would respond to their query. I don't understand why people think they are smarter and think laughing at them will make them look cool.
• Perth, Australia
@rachz_kisses I don't understand it either. Any form of bullying just annoys me.