Will I get to play piano today?

Pleasant Hill, California
I'm off to pick up a kid client and see what he wants to do on this hot day. Will I be able to get him to shoot some hoops before we do something mellow? His parents say he spends too much time in front of the TV. I'm secretly hoping he wants to go to Guitar Center, as we've done on some of our previous outings together. If we do, I'll spend some time in the guitar room and some in the electric piano room. There's a midi-based piano (also has organ and other sounds) there that I really like, and it costs only $500 or so. Should I consider getting it? My "real" piano is in Atlanta GA and isn't much help to me here. I want to get back into piano, as it was my first instrument.
$500 does not sound like very much for a piano. Do you have some place to put it? You could write it off of your taxes if you use it for work, right?
• Pleasant Hill, California
Actually, I probably could. I've thought of doing the same with part of my rent, as half of the place is a refinishing shop. But then I'd have to keep track of speaker earnings. Too complicated.
@TheHorse Look, if you took a little time to set up either a little ledger or a computer spreadsheet, it would be simple and save tons of money. Think about it.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@ElizabethWallace A part of my is too lazy. I'm not sure if it would make that much of a difference.
@koopharper (6213)
I'll cross my fingers for you. We have an electronic piano keyboard at home but it is broken and we don't have the cash to get it repaired. The kids played it some. Our local music store has closed as well so it isn't convenient to find a place to have it repaired either. The local owner passed away.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm sorry there was nobody to take over the store.
@TheHorse He had converted his garage into a music store and was very passionate about music. It was easy to get a good price and he was terrific just to sit and chat with. He's very missed.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@koopharper His store came from a place of passion. I like that.
@Lucky15 (33713)
Feels like you wanted to get back with your first. :) And you.somehow miss.it. you get that..who knows, the kid might like it too
• Pleasant Hill, California
I do! I don't know how far I could take it at this point (no lessons for decades), but one of the place I feel most at home is sitting in front of a keyboard.
@Lucky15 (33713)
@TheHorse now that is really.love with playing piano ;)
@vandana7 (57187)
You are so versatile..amazing. In your shoes, I would have tried to have some music posts...give tunes to the poems and limericks that people come up here..and create a post..with that link. It could be fun..lol. Hope you get that time on piano, and hope your kid client enjoys composing some music..
• Pleasant Hill, California
Thanks, I have a handful of songs out there. One is going on an album by a band mate. She's a pretty good singer.
@Platespinner (18073)
We have a low-end electronic keyboard but it's been gathering dust since a neighbour gifted us with a piano that they weren't using anymore. As much time and energy as you put into music you probably should invest. Shipping your piano to California from Atlanta would cost significantly more than buying that midi-based one!
• Pleasant Hill, California
Exctly! And it would take up a lot less room.
@Morleyhunt (15947)
If it feeds you, you might need to buy yourself that piano.
• Pleasant Hill, California
A good piano player who was there today suggested I spend the extra money and get a Yamaha.
I think you should get that piano. I don't play any musical instrument but I have other hobbies that I'm really into. And when i see something related to my hobby, I just know I should get it to make me happy.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm looking at way to rearrange my furniture so I could accomodate it.
You only live once, so if you really want it, go for it.
• Pleasant Hill, California
It's only a matter of when.
Yes,get the piano.You can do a lot of arranging with the piano.Are you going to get it?
• Pleasant Hill, California
That is very true! I will. But not today.
@SophieY (878)
• South Africa
I have my own piano and I know its difficult to have transported, but there is no greater sound than the piano
sounds like you want too, so if you can afford, I'd say go for it
$500 sounds like a good deal to me. Of course, I know nothing about the value of instrument's.