A View of the Pacific Ocean

Opito Bay, NZ, photo by Val Mills
By Val
@valmnz (13162)
New Zealand
Thanks to @Inlemay I have learned that today, 8 June, is World Ocean Day. And, we have been challenged to show the myLot world a glimpse of one of the oceans from where we live. Well, that caused me a dilemma. My closest ocean is the Tasman Sea, the stretch of water between new Zealand and Australia. Then, just a couple of hours away, on the other side of the country we have the Pacific Ocean. I have lots of photos of both, but have decided to share this photo of the Pacific from our recent holiday. This is of a remote beach called Opito Bay, up on the Coromandel Peninsula, looking out to the Mercury Islands. We went there for a picnic one day but, much to our surprise, wasps had beaten us to it. So we had lunch in the car, then explored a few other nearby beaches. So, how about you, do you have an ocean photo you can share with us?
@xFiacre (10489)
@valmnz Here's the Atlantic where it washes into Ireland.
@Inlemay (17341)
• South Africa
lovely - how come you never share photos with my posts?
@xFiacre (10489)
@Inlemay Just found out how to do it! Here's one for you.
@valmnz (13162)
• New Zealand
My first view of the Atlantic
@sunrisefan (16624)
I can't share a body of ocean, Ms. Val but I have this photo of the tranquil waters between our island and a neighboring one which I took this morning.
@valmnz (13162)
• New Zealand
I was thinking of you and your photos of stretches of water as I wrote mine. What is this stretch of water called?
@sunrisefan (16624)
@valmnz This body of water is called the TaƱon Strait which is a sea lane between north and south of the various islands of our country, Ms. Val. I like the photo you posted because that's how we saw your beach fronts when we visited NZ last year.
@sunrisefan (16624)
@valmnz Beyond that island is also the Pacific Ocean.
That's a great view Val. I just have this one on my computer, but I'm not sure where I took it. On a cruise, obviously.
@valmnz (13162)
• New Zealand
Great Janet. That's the wonderful thing about cruises, you're surrounded by water.
@valmnz I went and had a look at Lany's post and posted this same photo there, and she noticed that the flag is the Thai flag. That jogged my memory and I remembered it was on a boat trip in Thailand, not a cruise as such.
@valmnz (13162)
• New Zealand
@jaboUK We visited Phuket in Thailand on a cruise about five years ago.
The zoom on my camera won't seem to reach the several hundred miles needed.
@valmnz (13162)
• New Zealand
That's a shame you'll just have enjoy the seaside though the eyes of others.
Right, but taking a plane somewhere would allow you to take an ocean photo.
@ElizabethWallace Until they caught me and arrested me for taking the plane...
• Pleasant Hill, California
It looks very pretty, and a tad different from our coast. I'll see if I can find a photo of the Pacific from Pt. Reyes in California.
@valmnz (13162)
• New Zealand
Wonderful! It's such a large ocean, isn't it
• Pleasant Hill, California
@valmnz It's as big as they come! Too cold to swim in (for me) up here. But I used to swim in the Pacific in Santa Barbara.
It's great that you showed people the land as well as the sea. We tell people that CA isn't green, this shows what we mean. Lovely, looks like home.
oh I want to be near that spot! and here is an ocean pic too!
@valmnz (13162)
• New Zealand
I can almost hear the water lapping on the stone wall.
I love breakwaters, lets us see more of the wildlife.
Hawaii
I have lots of pictures of oceans, since I love them. I live 1/4 mile from the great Pacific Ocean. So here's a picture of the Pacific Ocean from Oahu.
@valmnz (13162)
• New Zealand
I love the sunset there!
@valmnz People go to Hawaii for their sunsets. While beautiful, if you compare a California sunset to one in Hawaii, CA wins the beauty contest. But, it's all the same ocean, the Pacific, just from the other side.
Very cool photo and, no but I wish I did. I live about 50 miles from the pacific ocean.
@valmnz (13162)
• New Zealand
I love the way the Pacific touches so many shores.
@valmnz Yes, the biggest of all the ocean's.
@valmnz Most people are not aware that it is vastly larger than the Atlantic. Well, most Americans don't know. I'm sure those who live in Europe and other places study geography more than we do, and probably know the size difference.
@dodo19 (28098)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I wish I live closer to the ocean. I do live close to some water, but it's just a river. Montreal is by the St Lawrence river. Come to think of it, there's also a few other rivers around here. Don't really have any pictures of them though.
@valmnz (13162)
• New Zealand
No river is 'just a river' they each have their own story
@dodo19 (28098)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@valmnz that's true. It is water, after all.
@skysnap (17580)
very nice image. i never took ocean photo during this season but soon will take.
@valmnz (13162)
• New Zealand
I can't resist taking photos of the ocean!
@skysnap (17580)
@valmnz with view like this. i'd be stuck here forever. :D
I like this photo Val, the flat sandy beach in front of the blue Pacific Ocean. I have to check if I have a photo of the Ocean ready to scan.
@valmnz (13162)
• New Zealand
I think this was a wonderful idea of @Inlemay, to share the waters of our world.
@valmnz Yes, this is a great idea, we only have 5 Oceans in total, but I would love to see if someone took a picture of the more distant.
Beautiful view of the ocean!
@valmnz (13162)
• New Zealand
It's quite a beautiful part of the world.
ick to the wasps! beautiful photo, hon. i fear that oceans're very far 'way from my neck'f the woods. 'tis been eons since i've e'en been to one (i'm thinkin' prolly 40 odd years'r so??) 'n thus've no pic's 'f such.
@valmnz (13162)
• New Zealand
I feel lucky that the sea is so accessible here in NZ.
@silvermist (15820)
@valmnz The ocean is beautiful and you have succeeded in capturing the beauty on photo .
@valmnz (13162)
• New Zealand
Thank you, amazing what a phone can do!
It's time I retired so an ocean shot might just have to wait until tomorrow. I will have a choice of oceans too. That beach looks lovely.
@valmnz (13162)
• New Zealand
A very peaceful part of the country at this time of the year. I imagine it's a much busier scene in summer.
@msiduri (5840)
That's a lovely photo. @valmnz. I guess the wasps must have liked the area as well. Same thing happened to us with bees one year when we were camping. We tried all the tricks of drawing them off with bowls of water, of building campfires and chasing them away with smoke. We ended up going into town and seeing a movie.
@valmnz (13162)
• New Zealand
It's so annoying. I hope the locals get the matter attended to.
@Inlemay (17341)
• South Africa
Oh How wonderful you are all coming to the ball game - Now I can get to see the paciffic as well from my armchair. Thanks val - we should have used a catch line so that they would all be linked. Maybe Ocean
@valmnz (13162)
• New Zealand
When I get time I'll do one of the Tasman Sea as well.
@tzwrites (3813)
Wow it is so beautiful, I wish I lived near an ocean. I love water and beaches.
@valmnz (13162)
• New Zealand
New Zealand, being so small, is surrounded by wonderful beaches and stretches of water.
@nomus24g (16444)
this is an amazing pic....love the tranquility
@valmnz (13162)
• New Zealand
Thanks. I was pleased with it as I took it on my phone.
Sorry, I'm rather late. This is the Intercostal, also called Lake Worth, which is a salt water inlet that leads to the Atlantic Ocean on the other side of the buildings. This is the view from our condo in Florida, where we spend our winters. Your photo is awesome! I've been to many oceans, but your view takes the cake!!!