My Ten Favorite Boz Scaggs Songs: Lowdown (#10)

@FourWalls (12535)
Can't end one top ten list without starting another! And, as today (6/8) is the 72nd birthday of Boz Scaggs, I figure who else to feature for a top ten list!! #10: Lowdown And what better song to start with than the song that introduced me and most of the world to Boz? William Royce Scaggs was born in Akron, Ohio, but grew up in the suburbs of Dallas, Texas. He went to a private Espicopal boys' school, St. Mark's, where he was in a band called the Marksmen. Another band member was a classmate named Steve Miller. (Yes, that Steve Miller.) After graduation Boz went to Europe and recorded an album that still hasn't been released in the US. He returned to the US the next year and ended up in San Francisco, where his high school friend Miller was forming the Steve Miller Blues Band. Boz joined as the second guitar player and stayed for two years and two albums (Children of the Future and Sailor) before striking out on his own. His "overnight success" came in 1976 when "Lowdown," the second single from Silk Degrees, peaked at #3 on the Billboard pop singles charts. It won Scaggs and co-writer David Paich (part of Scaggs' backing band, all of whom later struck out on their own as Toto) a "Best R&B Grammy" award. (More worthless trivia: Paich's father was Marty Paich, pianist and arranger for Mel Tormé. Hang around, you're gonna learn a thing or two here. ) Scaggs had been dabbling in "blue-eyed soul" for a long time (you'll hear that when I feature some of his pre-Silk Degrees songs later in this countdown), but "Lowdown" hit at the right time. It was very danceable in the era of disco, so it struck a chord with the masses. Boz is still out there touring, bringing the dirty lowdown to town after town! Lowdown Written by Boz Scaggs & David Paich From Silk Degrees, 1976 Here's Boz doing the song from Jools Holland's show last year:
* The copyright of this video belongs to British Broadcasting Company and we really thank for this provision to our YouTube Channel. Happy New Year! Boz Scag...
@inertia4 (27268)
Now you're talking some real talent here. I loved all his 70's and 80's hits. I still play Boz to this day. They have the timeless sound to them.
Happy Birthday, Boz!
Lowdown was his biggy. Boz is 72? I feel so old. And I read Jackson Browne is 69.
My favorite one would be: Love, look what you've done to me. I believe that is the name of it.
Hootenanny I remember this well way back when this was popular.