What if You Have the Ability to Know What a Person is Thinking?

CCO Public Domain
@josie_ (5828)
A Mel Gibson movie "What woman want" is about a man who had the ability to "hear" the thoughts of the people around him. If you were given the ability, would you consider it a gift or a curse? People would no longer be able to keep secrets from you. Think about the advantage you will have on the personal level, like knowing who your true friends are or is your spouse faithful or not. In business matters you would know ahead of time what your competitors are planning which gives you the vantage point to outmaneuver them. Even simple transactions like bargaining with a street vendor, assures you would get the lowest price possible. But will you still be able to keep any relationship? People, even those close to you will not always be in agreement with you. Supposing in a heated argument, you read their thoughts "Go to hell!","What a jerk!", "I wish you were dead","I should have married John" or worst,"I'm calling John and if he ask me out...." Can you still reconcile or forgive them? I love the song "Can you read my mind" but I'm not sure I would like it if "You can see right through me" or if I am "Holding hands with a god" or a fool. Do you really want the ability? Photo Image: Pixabay
Superman (Christopher Reeve ) & Lois Lane ( Margot Kidder ) . Can you read my mind? Do you know what it is you do to me? Don't know who you are, Just a frien...
No , i don't like such ability . I don't want to know what a person is thinking . I might get hurt or i might get angry at the person without her knowing that i know she's cursing me silently . As to seeing the business strategy of the competitor , i don't like that . It seems cheating to me .
@josie_ (5828)
@SIMPLYD _ I don't mind having the ability where business is concern since there are a lot of dishonest businessman and I prefer not to be scammed or swindled. But where personal relationship is concern, as @Lucky15 commented, "What you won't know won't hurt you." and I agree with her.
@josie_ On that aspect of being swindled by scrupulous businessman , i like to have it . Who would want to be swindled anyway .
@zarlamain (24195)
I would really hate that. I would feel hurt by what some people are thinking about me, so it's better for me to not know what people are thinking overall. It's enough hearing people say bad things about me behind my back or to my face, and I really don't want to add their thoughts on top of it.
@josie_ (5828)
@zarlamain _ Much more painful is discovering the real feelings of people you consider your friends. Finding out their ulterior motives for their friendship.
@zarlamain (24195)
@josie_ Definitely. I've had many people who I've genuinely thought were my friends turn out to be otherwise. Even though I went through that a lot, it still hurt every time.
@josie_ (5828)
@zarlamain _ This ability will only compound the problem. You'll end up mistrusting and friendless.
@crossbones27 (15584)
• Redlands, California
It could come in handy, but I think it would give people a self esteem problem with all the insults people think about one another.
@josie_ (5828)
@crossbones27 _ In the long run, It ain't worth all the trouble.
• Redlands, California
@josie_ Oh my leg. get it because I have a peg leg. could be a bad joke.
@josie_ (5828)
@crossbones27 _ It's a bad joke. It hasn't a leg to stand on.
@Chungshop (2343)
Ability of reading others mind need practice. One way is to learn the Body language ,is our most powerful and natural way to interact with others. From head to toe, we can know how people thoughts lo. Try to practice by watching people through their head to toe, every part has release different message. While siting, do watch others body action and try to figure what's their thought, sometime you may right but may wrong. Through practice your the ability will improve , have not try body language.
@josie_ (5828)
@Chungshop _ Body language has been around for sometime. There are plenty of reading materials in the internet if one is interested. Many people are developing this skill to help improve their ability to communicate with others effectively.
@Chungshop (2343)
@josie_ You.re smarter than me lo
@josie_ (5828)
@Chungshop _ Thanks. But if I ever join the TV show, "Are you smarter that a fifth grader?", the answer would probably be "No"
@skysnap (17499)
that is very powerful ability. and it'd create confusion.
@josie_ (5828)
@skysnap _Thank goodness it's not real.
@skysnap (17499)
@josie_ yeah. that's why its even feared in comics and animation.
@wiLLmaH (8163)
• Singapore, Singapore
No, please! That will drive me crazy! Hehe.
@josie_ (5828)
@wiLLmaH _ Don't you want to know what your boyfriend is thinking?
@wiLLmaH (8163)
• Singapore, Singapore
@josie_ Husband.. No. I do not want to hear he is cursing me! Haha!
I'm glad nobody can read my mind. I wouldn't want to know what others are thinking. It would be too freaky. I love that song from the movie.
@josie_ (5828)
@just4him _ Better to keep them guessing.
@josie_ Absolutely!
noperz, i'll jest hang't'n the dark, lol. e'ery now'n then i've thought'f such (loved that movie, one'f the rare ones i've seen, lol) 'n then think better. not so much that somebody might hurt my feelin' (i've only one left...'n 'tis threadbare), but i know i aint got 'nough bail money fer when i'd deck whome'er was thinkin' such awful thoughts.
@josie_ (5828)
@crazyhorseladycx _ If your username is any indication I'd steer clear of you. Stand a better chance with a herd of stampeding broncos.
@josie_ ahem...
I would absolutely hate it. There's a reason we are not a telepathic race. Humans have way too many thoughts that even they don't realize they're having. You could get mad at someone for thinking something that for them sas completely unconscious.
@josie_ (5828)
@ChildofGod81 _ If we are legally liable for our thoughts, half the population would be in jail and the other half in mental institutions.
@josie_ That is probably very true lol. I would be one in an institution. lol
Life seems no reasons to live. No more excitement at all
@josie_ (5828)
@eliza_godinez12 _ Worst, it would take out the romance from love.
@josie_ true
@ridingbet (39127)
i can wish for that when the person's mind i am reading on thinks of good things only. i would not want to read somebody's mind about "how he plans on blowing a building"- shades of a member of Abu Sayyaf.
@josie_ (5828)
@ridingbet _ Unfortunately we can't shut out or choose what information comes to our mind if we had the ability to know what people are thinking.
@ridingbet (39127)
@josie_ that is why i find this "ability" out of this world, except for those who have ESP or magic
@Vjvals (941)
• Roseville, California
Yes if everyone was like that I would. If they can read yours and not theirs it may be harder for the non-reader
@josie_ (5828)
@Vjvals _It's very possible that future apps with artificial intelligence will be able to mind read or anticipate people's thoughts.
@lilnana1111 (2451)
No thank you, I think it would cause more problems than it's worth.
@josie_ (5828)
Eventually it would end up being more a curse than a boon. Some things are better left unknown.
I remember watching a similar movie like this but ti was a chinese movie, and they were both competitors in a fashion industry..
@josie_ (5828)
@Letranknight2015 _ I also like to watch Chinese movies. Do you know the title by any chance?
@Macarrosel (7611)
For curiosity, maybe I say yes. But for life, I say no, I don't like that ability.
@josie_ (5828)
@Macarrosel _ The excitement of having "super powers" will eventually wear out and be replace by emotional conflicts
No, not me. It would lead to all sorts of problems.
@josie_ (5828)
@jaboUK _Mostly psychological self-esteem problems.
@MGjhaud (20823)
ive seen that Gibson's film. and no, its not the kind of ability i would be so happy to have. im a worrier.
@josie_ (5828)
@MGjhaud _ Not good for a worrier. You'll end up a neurotic wreck.
I'd rather not have that ability. I would end up in a squabble lol
@josie_ (5828)
@Iam_jauntyjen _ People would start wondering what's got into your head.
@antonbunot (9533)
• Calgary, Alberta
Of course, it is a wonderful gift! Say a lady thinks I am ugly, I stay away from her. A pretty, sexy lady thinks I am goodlooking and she is attracted to me. O, I would not give a second thought, I would meet her in heaven . . hehehe
@josie_ (5828)
@antonbunot _ Knowing that a lady is attracted to you would make the process of introducing yourself easier. If you are only interested in a one night stand then you are right. But first impressions don't make an enduring relationship. We have to work on it. You would be missing opportunities for the REAL thing.
@meowch (1065)
I'd rather not have the ability to read minds. It would make life difficult for me. Knowing what others think is like invading of privacy and life starting to be more predictable. It can be a gift for a short time but in the long run you'll start hating it.
@josie_ (5828)
@meowch _We'll probably end up a mental wreak. With all the negative feedback we can "read", we will become depress and start avoiding people.