~Back From The Doctor~

Jacksonville, Florida
It was not a pleasant experience. I don't know what it is with my luck and doctors but it's not good. Lol. The minute he walks into the room he checked my back and said there's nothing wrong with it. He asked if I knew what an MRI was (What am I an idiot?) Then he tells me if it's not better in 3 months they will do an MRI to see what's wrong but until then he doesn't think anything needs to be done... Basically it was a waste of my time completely.
I hope you seek a second opinion. If this pain has been ongoing it is obvious that there is a problem.
@ElusiveButterfly I am going to seek another opinion because that doctor was the only idiot in the room!
@LovingMyBabies I have to get a new pcp because my husband hit the nail on the head when he called her the internet doctor. She listens to your symptoms and looks it up on the internet.
@ElusiveButterfly Oh wow, you could do that yourself!
@Platespinner (17047)
If there is "nothing wrong with it" why would they need to do an MRI in 3 months to see what's wrong? I seem to have the same sort of luck with doctors that you do. Thankfully I'm healthy! (though sometimes I wonder if I am as healthy as I am because I avoid doctors--it seems everyone else my age is on multiple medications for an assortment of health issues).
When I have had back problems in the past (it's been a long time, but it used to be a regular occurrence when I was toting little ones around), I could get relief by lying on my back on the floor (cushioned by carpeting, or a firm mattress) and pulling my knees up to my chest.
@Platespinner Yeah exactly-he was an idiot. I don't usually go to doctors either (unless I'm pregnant) but there is a bulge at the base of my spine. I was worried about it since the pain has gotten worse. I think I will get a second opinion.
@akalinus (20141)
I know that my doctor adds a new prescription every time I have a new complaint. That has trained me not to mention anything new.
Didn't it give you some peace of mind to know that he thinks there's nothing wrong?
@Jabouk Not at all, I don't think he has any idea what he's talking about. If there's nothing wrong he wouldn't have suggested a MRI in the future.
@akalinus (20141)
@LovingMyBabies It sounds like he pretty much dismissed you and did not care about your discomfort or concerns.
@akalinus That is exactly how I felt. He talked down to me and treated me like i was stupid which I did not appreciate at all.
@Daljinder (22072)
Should have asked him back "Do YOU know what MRI is?" Second opinion will be a good decision right now. Good luck!
@Daljinder I know I was trying to be nice though. Lol. Yeah I think getting a second opinion would be my best bet.
@Babs0630 (487)
The doctors told me the same thing and when it finally came down to it after going to the doctors and e.r they finally done an mri and sent me to a neurosurgeon to tell me that my spine is basically "not fully developed" and that I have "spondylosis" , ddd,and a bulging disc! It took them over 6 mnths just to get the mri and another 3 to see the neurosurgeon and they told me I needed surgery but would have a 30%chance of it even working and it may make problems worse. I will be praying for you! For now just use heat and ice...LOVE YOU
@Babs0630 I remember you telling me about that. I can't stand doctors sometimes-hopefully I can get a better one next time.
@Dena91 (4517)
Makes me want to slap them when they are that dismissive. If it persists you may want to go to another doctor. Prayers for you to feel better. Have a blessed day
@dodo19 (33316)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
Doctors like that are unpleasant to deal with. It can be frustrating as hell. Hopefully it's nothing serious and you don't have to get the MRI.
@dodo19 Not only was he rude but I don't think he had any clue of what he was talking about. I am going to get a second opinion.
@dodo19 (33316)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@LovingMyBabies that is a good idea. Hopefully the next Doctor is nicer.
@akalinus (20141)
@LovingMyBabies Asking if you knew what a MRI was is condescending. I hate arrogant doctors.
lol I hate the Doctors and, hope your back feels better.
@TRBRocks420 I do too and normally I only go while pregnant but this bulge at the base of my spine kind of worried me. Thank you, me too.
@LovingMyBabies How did you hurt it or you don't know?
@TRBRocks420 Honestly it was like this since I had my son 4 months ago. I think my back got messed up when I delivered him.
@DWDavis (12997)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I have learned the hard way that sometimes you have to push back really hard when the doctor tries to push you on out of the examination room without answering your questions. The idiot doctor I first saw when I was having chest and abdominal pains years ago dismissed it as stress and sent me home. 15 month later my gall bladder almost burst. Fortunately another doctor finally figured out what was wrong.
@DWDavis Oh goodness, I am glad the other doctor caught what was going on with you. That's really scary! I am going to get another opinion.
@DWDavis (12997)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@LovingMyBabies I believe that is your best course of action.
@DWDavis Thank you, I think so too.
Rather insulting doctor wasn't he? One would think he would schedule an MRI to determine the cause. How frustrating.
@Corbin5 He was extremely rude and he treated me like I was an idiot. I cannot stand doctors like that!
@sallypup (28036)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@LovingMyBabies You basically are the doctor's employer. Without you, he'd have no patient. He should do what he's supposed to- act like he is working in a caring profession.
@LovingMyBabies Me neither! There is no reason for a doctor to behave that way.
@vandana7 (66851)
Oh....is your back paining?
@vandana7 Yeah and I have a bulge on my lower back. =(
@vandana7 (66851)
@LovingMyBabies ..oh...sorry...hope everything improves soon enough..hugs.
@quantum2020 (9775)
• Ciudad De Mexico, Mexico
Lucky you that there was nothing serious in your back. At least you won´t have to worry for another 3 months.
@quantum2020 No I am worried because I am not hurting for nothing and there is a bulge on my lower back. That doctor was stupid. I am going to have to get another opinion.
• Ciudad De Mexico, Mexico
@LovingMyBabies When I have pain on any of my body parts, I just let it heal by itself relaxing the body. In bed or in a good sitting position. Sometimes, without knowing,, one may adopt positions that put strain in the body. I hope you manage to take away the pain in your back.
Have you thought of seeing a chiropractor? The doctor seems very incompetent.
@marlina My insurance doesn't cover it I don't think. I will have to look into it.
I remember your reporting about some swelling. It cannot be just ignored. Bettere get a second opinion
@allknowing Yeah I am going to get another opinion because this doctor did not seem to know what the heck he was talking about.
I tend to agree that maybe a second opinion is in order
@Marilynda1225 Yeah I agree. He didn't seem to know what he was talking about.
What a dreadful man. They don't teach any 'bedside manner' these days do they? I hope you get a second opinion.
@JudyEv Yeah he really was! I wish they did teach bedside manners because he seriously needed some, especially with someone like myself who is so scared to see doctors as it is.
@koopharper (6663)
That's total BS. Grrr! Have you done any cycling. I have had trouble with a bulged disc in my lower back S1 location. Something about pedaling my bike is therapeutic. I could ride my when I could barely walk and the riding helped things improve. Just a thought. It doesn't work for everyone.
@koopharper The more activity I do the more it hurts actually. Lifting, bending, certain ways I sit, etc... I don't have a bike and can't afford one right now but when we can I will try it.
How frustrating!
@NJChicaa Yes it was!
I hope that was covered under your insurance.
@sharon6345 I couldn't have gone if it wasn't because I don't have a lot of money.
@puddleglum (1415)
It's a Mighty Rude Individual, I think. Seriously, though, I hope you are able to find some relief for the pain and find someone who knows what is causing it.