Our Dog Was Attacked!

@IvySaysHi (4344)
Just before we went to get our pedicures, I had to go out to the car to get my brush. On my way back to the house with my son, I heard our dogs barking along with the neighbors dog. I wouldn't have thought twice about it except that the barking sounded like frantic and urgent, not quite sure how to explain. It was like the sound of dogs going at it and I was right! I ran back to the yard to find the neighbor's dog with its teeth dug into the back of our dog who was trying so hard to escape the bite. The owner of the dog was trying to pull his dog off of our dog, but it was not letting go. I didn't run immediately to get our dog because I had my son. I put my son down by the door and had him hold the car key and my brush while I went to go free our dog. Luckily, by the time I started heading over there the dog let our dog go and she ran stright for our house. The neighbor put his vicious dog in his house and then came over to try and see what the damage his dog did to ours. I was shaking so intensely from seeing the attack. It didn't help with trying to see what wounds the dog made on our dog between my shaking, the saliva, and our dogs thick hair. I eventually found a puncture wound that looked bad, but it wasn't bleeding. After finding that I just took our dog inside as my father in law pulled up to the house just in time to talk to the neighbor and call the pet hospital. After my in laws talked to the neighbor, who said to send him the bill (you know darn well he was getting that bill), they informed me that this dog was the same dog that attacked our other dog 2 years ago! They said he usually keeps the dog on a leash since then and maybe the dog broke the leash, but this dog is clearly too aggressive. My in laws took our dog to the hospital around 5pm and just got back 20 minutes ago at 9pm. They are keeping her overnight and will call to let us know whether the injuries she sustained are as bad as our other dog's were 2 years ago. When that dog attacked our first dog, The doctor told my mother in law she had a gash and she isn't sure they told her how many holes. Our first dog ended up barely being able to movve with drains all over for her wounds. They had to pick her up and take her to her bowl as she healed because she was in so much pain. I wasn't here for that time, but my father in law said he had to choke hold the dog to get it off our dog. I believe that dog should be put down because once is bad enough, but twice? That is too much. And the dog came over to our yard to attack our dog who does not attack other dogs. And I am afraid of something worse happening. What would you do in this situation? Have you had this happen to your pets or even a loved one?
@Genipher (5136)
I would call animal control and report the incident. I would also let them know that this wasn't the first time the dog attacked. And I agree with Judy. Next time it could be a child that's harmed or killed. Out of curiosity...what kind of dog does the neighbor have?
@IvySaysHi (4344)
i don't know the breed of the dog.
@nanette64 (17682)
• Fairfield, Texas
I certainly hope that the neighbor's dog has all of his current shots @IvySaysHi .
I think the dog needs to be put down really, especially if it came into your yard. It could be a child it attacks next time. I hope your neighbour does the right thing and gets rid of the dog.
@IvySaysHi (4344)
i hope so too
@DWDavis (11542)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I have known this to happen with my sister's dogs. She lets them run loose. My wife and I are fortunate to have a large fenced in back yard for our dogs to run in so other dogs are not a problem other than the occasional barking at the fence.