Scratch That

In the middle of writing a post, do you ever decide NAH - and delete the whole thing? I just did that. When it's something emotional, I tend to overwrite the details so everything is explained clearly. That often leads to super long posts, and I realize not all care to read them. Do you ever get so deeply involved in your posts that you suddenly realize you're spending way too much time on it? Is it sometimes better to scratch a post than to dwell too long on perfecting it?
If I do not rush to post what I have written, I would delete the content most of the times.
Sometimes it's just too easy to overthink on posts. Yah, if we don't hit that "start discussion" button fast enough, it just might not ever make it out there!
@much2say So true, most of the time I cannot say that I really like what I have wrote.
@LadyDuck Hee hee - I think I could say the same thing! Oh, but I do enjoy what you write .
I've started over a few times because I thought it didn't make much sense.
Sometimes I will go on and on to the point where I don't know where I'm going with it!
@dpk262006 (50240)
@much2say You must keep going and post it on mylot, leave rest of the things to your friends here on mylot.
@dpk262006 I know I should, but sometimes it just gets too long of an explanation that I am certain I would put mylot to sleep!
I know the feeling . Though I guess , i haven;t done that yet . I write my posts ahead on a word document and just submit them one by one each day . And when they gets nearly all submitted , i again create new posts . But usually though they would be submitted latest because i have a recent experience to share .
@dpk262006 (50240)
You are perfect and wiser.
@dpk262006 Thank you , my friend . But remember no one is perfect .
@dpk262006 (50240)
@SIMPLYD If you want me to modify, I would say that you are near perfect.
I hope that you are okay whatever the post was my friend. It is good to talk here when you can. Yes I have done that but most of the time, I just post 'surface' posts, not very deep I guess, for that very reason.
I am ok, but someone else is not - it's a sad situation, but it needs a whole long explanation . . . and when it's deep, I have a deeper explanation. It sometimes opens up a can of worms inside me, so then I have to step away from it - say never mind and let it go.
@much2say Aw hope they will be okay then Much..I wish to see your scratched post lolz
@TiarasOceanView I hope so too . . . but I know it's not going to be easy (it concerns a child - not mine - but a good friend of my daughter). You have an itch to see the scratch(ed post?)
no,not yet .
I know you will do what you set out to do - no doubting like I do at times.
Yes! Happens to me a few times, lol! Don't worry!
If anything, I guess I just get annoyed at myself. Deleting it just makes you not have to deal with it anymore!
@much2say haha I get annoyed too like can't I just get to the point. Sometimes I go in circles and end up driving Myself crazy and delete it all together ahha
@infatuatedbby Sometimes I think I make too many points that I might lose the reader's interest - too much information! I don't want to write about my stress and then end up stressing about that too . . .yah, best to just delete it, forget about it, and move on!
• Otis Orchards, Washington
I have deleted some of my posts in the middle of writing them. I write my posts on my word processor and sometimes I think what I wrote shouldn't be on here but it's good enough to keep, so I save it until I can either rewrite it or find what I think is a more suitable place for it.
I am such a "of the moment" type writer/poster . . . it's hard for me to save things and go back to them at a later date (if too much time passes, most likely I will never go back to it). But I'm sure a "real" writer saves all their work and can rework them if needed.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
@much2say Yes, when I studied writing I was taught not to throw anything away and to set our work to the side for a day or two then read it before doing anything with it. This gives a writer a chance to "get away from" his work long enough to give it a good looking over and make corrections.
@RichardMeister I guess I think of these posts more like open journal entries. But since I do have to think of "presentation", I can't write entirely freely - the order and timing of the thoughts have to work together to make sense to a reader. My biggest problem is I have too many details I feel compelled to include - I can't keep things brief. So if I get away from it, most likely I will think of other things to add rather than make corrections.
@sofssu (14871)
Has happened to me many times. So many of my posts have landed up in the trash can and have not gotten to see the light of day.
@DaddyEvil (18641)
@sofssu LOL! I usually copy everything I write into a Notepad and keep the note. Then I might edit some things out and I might not. I also might decide that nothing I wrote is suitable for public consumption at that time, so the whole file gets set aside until I have the perfect slot for it! I tend to keep lots of the things we discuss on myLot. You never know when you might need a post for something obscure and many of the things I post/discuss on myLot can be edited a little bit and used for that! A quick and easy fix when I am in a hurry but need something that appears like I put a lot of time and effort into the post. (As long as they pay me, I figure I am still good to go doing it that way!)
@sofssu (14871)
@DaddyEvil That is a good habit. I need to work on acquiring a good habit of writing a bit everyday. I guess your handwriting is really good.
@DaddyEvil (18641)
@sofssu Yeah... uhm... it is to me, but most people complain that I write too small for them to read. My normal size handwriting is roughly half or a bit bigger than the letters I am typing in on this pc. My supervisor at work prefers me to do the record keeping for our department, but she keeps a magnifying glass handy so she can read what I write.
@dpk262006 (50240)
I try not to write very long posts. I know sometimes mylotters are not interested in reading lengthy posts. I make up my mind before writing a new discussion. It has rarely happened with me when I wrote a post and did not find it upto the mark and decided to delete it.
Yes, some do not like long posts . . . just one look at the length and they might run away . I usually don't think of the worthiness, but more about the sight of lengthy explanations that might scare people from even taking the time to read it. And then I think of the time I'm putting into it - perhaps too much time that even I am dwelling on the particular situation - maybe it is not healthy. In this case, I deleted it to drop it once and for all . . . but maybe I'll rewrite it with a different angle (maybe).
@dpk262006 (50240)
@much2say - Yes, a long post could sometimes prove counter productive and length of a post could make others run away from it.. I feel if you have written a lengthy post and if it has sum and substance, then you should not delete it. Let it be on your wall. I am sure those who know you and understand you (me included in the count) would surely read the post and would respond. I hope you and your family are doing fine and hopefully weather is bearable at your end? Have a nice day!
@dpk262006 It's a hard call sometimes. Sometimes the details are what people call TMI (too much information), so we really do have to watch what we say, or how much of it. But I do appreciate those who do take the time to read and at least humor my posts . . . any response is an appreciated one. We are doing well - the kids are finally on summer vacation and we are just busy in other ways. The weather is good for now . . . cool mornings/evenings - and warm in between. But it seems like it will start getting hotter by the day - according to the forecasts who don't seem to have it exactly right most times. How are you and your family? I hope all are doing well!!!
Sometimes I want to explain something fully and the post starts to get too long but mostly it's not a problem. Sometimes a post needs a certain amount of explanation.
It is so hard for me to explain only "the gist" of a situation - I feel compelled to say it all. I need to learn how to write only that "certain amount"!
@DaddyEvil (18641)
@much2say @JudyEv I find it hard to decide when is enough really enough, though... SMH!
@DaddyEvil Yah, that's my problem! So instead of making these hard decisions, I just try to say it all .
Yes on all the above.. I get involved with the subject matter or, trying to be sure I am describing it well and find it has gotten way too long.
Involvement - that's that thing . . . I feel the need to explain every little thing to make sure the reader sees what I see, but I realize after actually writing it that may just be too overwhelming of a read. It's so hard for me to keep things brief.
@much2say ......If you write it all out though, then try doing some editing, that may help.
@celticeagle I try to edit as I go . . . then edit at the end . . . my problem is I can't take enough details out (I'm a word hoarder in my posts ).
What I do is write it elsewhere, say whatever I want to, then leave it for a while. Then when I go back to it I can see it more clearly, and can make changes to either make it shorter or improve it. Then I decide whether to post it or not.
I should do that. And I used to do that. These days I seem to be most impatient and want to get all my thoughts down at that moment . . . but then the moment lasts too long . So do you have posts you have decided not to post?
@jaboUK It is a bit tough when we're not really sure how our posts will be received. We have to explain our angle thoroughly so there are no misunderstandings (not always easy!). Well I'm glad you were able to share that post here! In a sense, the post I scratched could have gone either way too, but the whole explanation part was getting way too long.
@much2say I understand.
• Grand Junction, Colorado
Many times, I tend to be long winded. I also like to give as many details and background when necessary for someone to be able to understand my thoughts. I also tend to rewrite and add additional info after the post has been written and I'm going through and proofing it. I was told in school that is a sign of a good writer, when you read something and see that information is missing and you're able to add to it. I have no idea if that is correct or not.
A sign of a good writer? Oh, I like that! I don't know about me being a good writer, but certainly I would want a reader to understand my thoughts exactly too. I've always been long winded, even in letter writing back in the days. What's a story without the full story, right?
• Grand Junction, Colorado
@much2say I couldn't agree more. I read discussions on here all day and you have no idea how many times I think, I need more information, where is it? Did they put it in another post? Please give me more details, I was really interested in what you had to say, but I really need more information. The worst is to ask questions and they never respond to your questions. Go on being long winded, I will be sure to stay till the end.
@beaniefanatic13 I know what you mean! I try to cover it all in the post - otherwise people might ask questions in the comments and you just have to explain yourself over and over again. And you're right - not everyone will know what had been going on in past posts - best to do a little recap so everyone is on the same page when reading a post!
I have often written a long-winded post when it should have only been a short and to the point discussion. Oh well, some read long posts, some browse over them to get the gist of what it is about, some pass them by entirely. Their choice. If I feel I need to elaborate, I will. Better to get it all out than to keep it in.
Yep, in the end it's a matter of choice - how anyone writes - and how anyone reads. We can't control any factor except what we put out there, so I agree, might as well get it all out. Without all the details, how can anyone understand the full picture? It's a real struggle for me to keep things brief . . . in fact, this is probably the shortest post I've ever written!
@much2say write on!
@DaddyEvil (18641)
I usually read back through what I've written and then delete it... LOL! I always think my posts are boring and nobody will be interested in reading them... I have posted them before and then read through the post one more time and deleted it.... LOL! The only way my posts stand a chance at remaining on myLot is if I think it is funny enough or if it is a tutorial that I think people want or need. (The last tutorial I posted though, I did tell people if they didn't understand what I was saying to ignore it! I got a couple of replies that said, "Ignoring post!" LOL!)
Oh @DaddyEvil - no one gets bored of you! It's such a hard call what people will truly be interested in - sometimes there's just no pleasin' anyone, so I feel like we might as well say what we have to say. I know I just get too wordy - but my thought process says all the words need to be spit out or no one will understand what I'm trying to say - or at least that's I assume. Seriously, someone put "Ignoring post!"? Well then I'd reply with a "Ignoring comment!"
@DaddyEvil (18641)
@much2say I am very sorry, SmilePie! I have no idea why I was not notified that you had commented on my response to your post. (I did receive the notification that dpk had commented on my comment, so I checked further down the thread. (I am very happy I did, too!) May I just say that I believe you may be delusional and leave it at that? I seem to thrive under your brand of delusions!
@DaddyEvil I noticed some things were missing from my notifications too - ok, so it's not just me then. I can't keep up with the notifications as it is . . . so no worries!! Delusional? Ok, that sounds like me . . . we'll go with that !
I am a 'short and sweet' kind of person (lol)
@allknowing And we love that about ya!
• Calgary, Alberta
It happened to me a lot of time. I want to make posts about Anime,videogames and comics but I know the timing is wrong because no Geeks are logged in, Only older people who wants to talk about casual stuff.
Hey @CaptAlbertWhisker! I know it's difficult too when you have specialized interests that are not popular with the crowd. I wish I could discuss with fellow skaters who have had the kind of experience I had on the ice, but that would be a rare find (I know I can go to other forums, but I want to discuss these things here). I actually think I tried on a post long ago when I started here . . . I don't think I got any responses.
• Calgary, Alberta
@much2say I am trying to take risks now and discuss what I want once in a while even though I know they will guarantee uninterested garbage comments. I did it for my sanity.
@CaptAlbertWhisker I think some topics can be written in a way that the general public can relate to . . . we just can't expect insightful comments on the topics that are so specialized. I think your friends will like to hear from you no matter what you write about
I don't like posting here ,because it isn't a piece of cake to me,so I am virtually not qualified to discuss your question.As a whole,I love reading short posts,because it take me less time to read them,but I make expections in those posts started by my following friends,even if they are long ones,I may go through them .
You are always welcome to comment here . . . I always enjoy hearing from you! And I hope you will create more posts as I enjoy those as well! In real life, I do not talk in great length - I explain things better when I write. So perhaps I feel the need to let it all out when I do post here.
@much2say I enjoy responding to other people' posts and making comments on them,which are easier things than posting for me.I know what you meant,sometimes you can't put your ideas across without going into details.
@lilnana1111 (2495)
Yes, I have deleted a few post after I wrote them.
I hate doing it after all that work, but sometimes you just get this gut feeling you should.
Sometimes I have deleted a lot of what I wrote and chosen one small part of it to discuss. I don't think I completely changed my mind though.
I almost thought of doing this in the post I recently scratched . . . but it's so so hard for me to explain things without the whole explanation! I still hope to write about it - a condensed version anyway.