Make Your Own Envelopes

@Raelove (16729)
Saco, Maine
I know that letter-writing is pretty much a thing of the past. But many years ago, when I still depended on it to communicate with distant friends and relatives, I learned how to make my own envelopes. I really couldn't afford to buy fancy stationery back then, so I'd use my own note paper and just plain white envelopes. I'd affix stickers to them when I could to dress them up a little, but learning to make envelopes took that one step further and didn't cost anything at all. All you do is take a regular plain envelope, either letter or business-size, or any size from a box of greeting cards, and lay it flat on a table with the flap side up. Then, very carefully peel all the glued edges away from each other and lay it flat on a thick piece of paperboard. This can be the large section from an empty cereal box or any type of light cardboard. Using a pencil or marker, trace around the open unglued envelope just a short distance from its edges, until you have the entire shape imprinted on the paperboard. Cut that out, and then use that as your template form to make envelopes. You can use decorative pages from old calendars, solid color craft paper, full-page images from magazines, heavy wrapping paper, newsprint, or whatever strikes your fancy. When you've decided what to use, just put your template on it, trace around it on the side of the paper that will be inside the envelope, and cut it out. Fold the envelope using the original one as a guide, and then glue your new one together the same way the original one was, leaving a flap at the top. When you use it to send a letter out, you can glue the flap down to seal the letter, or use invisible tape. You can also use a row of stickers, which I have done in the past, to add a bit more color to your creation. This is a really fun way to use up and recycle pages or sections of paper that would otherwise be tossed out. And if you're not a letter-writer, you can use your handmade envelopes to keep things in, such as coupons, store receipts, recipe clippings, or anything along those lines. (Public Domain Image)
@JustBhem (26100)
• Davao, Philippines
I used to make my own envelopes before. It was fun making them.
@Raelove (16729)
• Saco, Maine
I think it is, too.
@JustBhem (26100)
• Davao, Philippines
@Raelove Are you still doing it?
@Raelove (16729)
• Saco, Maine
@JustBhem I haven't in awhile, as I don't do much letter-writing anymore. But I still have my template and paper, so I can start up anytime I have nothing else to do, which is rare nowadays.
This is a fun idea. I still send birthday cards, thank you cards, and other special occasion cards, so making unique envelopes would surely add meaning to those cards. Thanks for the instructions on how to create one-of-a-kind envelopes!
@Raelove (16729)
• Saco, Maine
You're welcome. Once you've opened a standard envelope to use to trace out a template, it's all pretty simple from there and very intuitive. You just use the original envelope as your guide! Have fun!
• Riga, Latvia
@Raelove Sure could have used this information ages ago. I will remember this on the rare occasion when I do have to send something through the mail.
@zarlamain (24146)
I know people who make their own envelopes. I think it's a fun craft.
@Raelove (16729)
• Saco, Maine
It is, as it is so easy and requires no materials other than a plain envelope, a pencil or marker, scissors and glue.
@zarlamain (24146)
@Raelove Seems like a great way to reuse paper.
@Raelove (16729)
• Saco, Maine
@zarlamain It is, and I love to recycle, so it fits me.
@nomus24g (18269)
Wow...that's really great way of making an envelope :)
@Raelove (16729)
• Saco, Maine
Yes, and it's a nice little relaxing project, as there is not much involved.
@nomus24g (18269)
@Raelove When I was a kid, I made such small envelops :)
@Raelove (16729)
• Saco, Maine
@nomus24g You can make them any size you want, that's the fun of it.
What a great idea! I wish I had thought of this back when I was writing a lot of letters. My BFF used to write back and forth all of the time. I had all kinds of stationery and this type of envelope would have been so interesting for her to get.
@Raelove (16729)
• Saco, Maine
I still have my template, so am thinking about making a few to keep things in.
@Raelove ......That would be a good idea.
@Raelove (16729)
• Saco, Maine
@celticeagle I think so.
I would use construction paper to make my own silly envelopes with the children in the classroom when I substituted in public schools. I am sure I haven't done a good job, as they would look like envelops and today, who knows, I probably forgot.
@Raelove (16729)
• Saco, Maine
I used whatever paper I could find. Haven't made any in a long time, but I don't write many letters anymore either.
@xstitcher (10516)
• Petaluma, California
I still write letters. I would like to make my own envelopes when I get the chance.
@Raelove (16729)
• Saco, Maine
It's a fun project.
• Westland, Michigan
I would need to watch a video. It sounds interesting to do it yourself. I love gifts that are home made.
@Raelove (16729)
• Saco, Maine
If you opened an envelope, you could probably figure it out without a video. I learned to make them long before I ever owned a computer, back when letter-writing was still in vogue. It's a fun project for kids, too.
@CRK109 (14290)
I used to make my own envelopes all the time, back when I was trading postcards and when I had a few penpals. My husband would get me old wallpaper books and they made gorgeous envelopes. It was a lot of fun to do.