Teaching Kindess to Children

(These pictures belong to MissNikki)
@MissNikki (2696)
If we want to ensure a positive future for our planet, we need to be teaching our children the power of kindness while we still can. This can be a very simple task, believe it or not.  One way to encourage your child to show kindness is by helping them make a new friend. The first step in making friends is meeting someone new. You could take a walk to your local library and find children's books about making new friends, or going to a new school. Read these books with your child, and act out scenes which promote kindness to friends with some puppets. Most libraries have puppets on hand for the children. You may even meet a new friend who is reading books at the library at the same time. That way, you can practice kindness in person.  Another possible way to model kindness to children is through using good manners and modeling behavior that you want to see. Again, you can show this to your kids with the use of books and puppets. Find books that talk about using the words "Please or Thank You" or which discuss the general manners people exhibit daily, like holding doors open or helping someone with a task. Use dolls or toys at home to mimic situations where kindness is shown. Be sure to let children know that they need to show kindness to animals as well. If you have pets, demonstrate how to gently handle the pet, and other proper animal care.  Model the language and actions for children that you want to see them use during play time or other tasks so they can hear new words, learn proper sentence structure, and listen to great examples of appropriate conversations between adults and children alike.
@josie_ (7409)
Children imitate what they see adults do. There is no better way to instruct children but by our own example. Through empathy comes kindness.
correct, they learn from others
Very true @josie_ however empathy is an unusual and not common emotion that is learned; rather it is gifted within the constructs of the mind that has been fortified in a constant nurturing environment both psychologically and emotionally. Empathy is in everyone but many are numb to it
@Chungshop (2365)
Children when small should plant the root of fear of God, learning the Words of God. Only the melody of the voices of angel can transparent their hearts. Many moral educations nowadays do prove success? Mothers play an important role in shaping the children.
I too really agree, Mothers they are the most convincing person to the children. and of course the teachers too.
@Chungshop (2365)
@sunilparthan So every mother should be educated
@Chungshop right. That is a good solution too.
All the qualities for a better person will always start in the family.
@vikas776 (73)
• New Delhi, India
If you want to teach your children the lesson of kindness, first it is important to show kindness in your behavior because small children learn many things by their parents behavior. If you help other and show kindness and sympathy for other people your children will also follow your habits.
Well hello there Miss Nikki long time no hear from ? Great post, welcome to mylot and yes teaching children early about kindness especially in todays society is crucial for making great adults of the future generation
@MissNikki (2696)
Yes, I am here now :-) LoL. I am so scared for the world right now ... I just want everyone to love eachother. I know that isn't realistic though... haha.
@MissNikki well it is a hope that at this point realism is fuzzy . . . Good to see you here btw and I know the world is scary right now and all we can do for ourselves is make our own little slice of life, a good one . . .
@MissNikki (2696)
@enlightenedpsych2 That's right, Erica. It's really hard sometimes. Glad to see you here too
Kindness certainly is a great thing to be teaching your children. I am glad my parents taught me kindness.
@MissNikki (2696)
It definitely is an important thing for all adults in a child's life to model.
Our children see us displaying kindness all the time through our actions. We are always feeding the homeless, praying with people who need it, letting people stay with us who need a roof over their head, etc... I think it's more in action than our words that children see and they will do the same as they get older. =)
@MissNikki (2696)
It's true, actions speak louder than words sometimes. :-)
charity begins at home. every single step a child takes, a single words a child speaks began from parents at home. so children should be taught about good manners, to respect and to love human kind as they are going to be the pillar of future
@MissNikki (2696)
It is so important for children to have a good example from all the adults around them. Unfortunately, not all children get to have that.
@koopharper (6644)
I hope I've been a good example to my kids. In general they show kindness at work to others. I work with two of them so I get to see how they respond to others.
@MissNikki (2696)
I'm sure you've done a great job being an example of kindness to your children :-)
@epiffanie (10408)
Yes we need to teach children kindness towards each others and be aware of how to live in harmony with Mother Nature ..Be appreciative of our environment ..
@MissNikki (2696)
Yes!!! This is something very important to me - showing kindness to the earth and animals.
Children are the next generation who creating the world. They should learn how to be kind and good at mind. As a parents we should teach them all.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yep, modeling rules. Kids aspire to be like "us," the grown-ups around them.
• Austin, Texas
My late mother used to say: “It won't never hurt you to be nice to somebody.” Was once watching an interview of a famous entertainer and the interviewer asked her what was her secret to success. The entertainer said (can't remember the exact quote): “Be the best you can be in your field and don't be nasty to people.” Don't know why but her answer surprised me. So simple! Being kind is really easy to do. Being mean and nasty is hard and takes a lot of work. In the end, you lose because it warps your mind and character. God help the poor people who cross paths with you before you come to that realization.