'New' old toy? 'Old' new toy?

By JJ
I can't decide...it's an old toy, but it's new to me. It's a late 1960's model JVC Nivico FM - AM stereo receiver model 5040U. One of those situations where I heard a knock at the front door, and someone is standing there saying "Do you want this?" Well...yeah I want it! It had been sitting in their garage for the past century or so, and they are moving and cleaning it out...anyway I said 'Of course' and now it sits here. (Now is when I wish I lived a bit closer to @TheHorse , the veneer on the cabinet is a bit chipped and could use refinished or something) It does work, but there's a short in one of the channels that I have to trace down, and the controls are a bit noisy when you turn them (easy enough to fix). Looked on ebay, and the model under this one (5030U) sells for a few hundred bucks, so I can possibly get $300 or more from it if I get it in proper working order. Or I might keep it and add it to the 'collection', I haven't quite decided yet. And at first I was mad because someone interrupted the book I was reading.
So it's been sitting there for the past century, but it wasn't made until the 60's! Sounds like somebody pulled a Marty Mcfly!
Well, it's been there since last century
@Inlemay (16484)
• South Africa
I just mentioned in my response to your comment that I would love to get a new turntable for all my LP's
I picked the turntable up for $40 at a record swap meet I went to, replaced the needle for $15 through ebay.
@ilocosboy (34344)
for me i will collect it because you cannot found like that anymore.i have a collection of old things here in our house sometimes i thinking if am going to sell it
I've got a few other old receivers, don't know for sure if I'll keep this one or not yet.
@ilocosboy (34344)
@JolietJake you have to decide surely before you may loss it.it's a precious one
• New Delhi, India
Keep it! As an antique piece
It'll be 50 years old next year, so I think that qualifies as an antique.
@owlwings (38861)
• Cambridge, England
@JolietJake Spring Chicken!
Will be interesting to see what you will decide to do with this "toy".
It's sounding pretty good at the moment, it'll be hard to decide whether to keep it or sell it.
@owlwings (38861)
• Cambridge, England
What a find! I love the way that those old receivers light up with a friendly green light (so much nicer than green LEDs) and seem to give a richer sound than newer machines. I see that a service manual for it would set you back some $14.
Yeah, first thing I did before even plugging it in was do a search for a manual...I'll probably order one this weekend since I know it does power up now.
nice interruption though!
How nice that you have this to work on. I'm sure you'll enjoy restoring it.
@LoriAMoore (4872)
What a nice surprise. Enjoy your new toy.