What modern convenience do you appreciate the most?

@destry (2526)
Kirkwall, Scotland
So the wife and I have decided that in our new home we are going to live without electricity, without running water, without a fridge, without an indoor toilet, without computers and internet, will have no TV and live without all the modern conveniences. We are happy with this way of life, but what mod cons would you least like to surrender?
I love all of them and don't plan on giving up any.
Same as you Abby, I have no intention of giving up all the comforts of life.
@marlina never would happen!
@Mike197602 (13367)
• Worcester, England
I think for me I'd be unhappy without the internet but to have the internet I'd need electric so I'd say I wouldn't want to live without electricity. So when you move in to your new place you won't be coming on here anymore?
@destry (2526)
• Kirkwall, Scotland
We should be exchanging contracts in about 3 weeks, we are looking at the 15th of next month - then it will be a case of applying for planning permission - despite the property being there since the mid 17th C we need to apply for permission for it to be a dwelling. After that, we need to appoint the builders to repoint it and put patch up the roof. . . . . . It would have been thatched originally, but it has a slate roof now - the cost of getting it thatched isn't an option :( So we are looking at about three months before we can move in without getting wet!
@Mike197602 (13367)
• Worcester, England
@destry A few years ago I helped out a thatcher doing a roof just outside cheltenham...couldn't believe the price. It's quite funny that thatch used to be for the poorer people as it was cheap and now it is very expensive. I don't think I could do without electricity. The minimum I'd need would be one of those wind turbines you can get from B&Q...enough to power a couple of essentials. You really are going back to basics. What about heating? Have you a wood burner and a supply of wood?...the wood can be expensive. I think you're pretty brave to be doing this.
The toilet is the first and running water second I guess. Then a fridge and next a washing machine.
@zarlamain (24527)
Everything, but television. I don't own television.
@koopharper (6290)
I think I would need electricity and the Internet the most. We don't have running water yet but I'm hoping to fix that sometime. Pumping everything by hand is quite a chore. I'd really like a wood splitter because splitting it all with a maul is a lot of hard work.
@artemeis (4017)
This is a really mighty big decision there. I simply could not live without most of what you have mentioned, since I have grown accustomed to them. Without electricity would mean that you are going to be disconnected from not only your electrical appliances and electronics including the mobile smartphone but the internet as well. I hope you realized these and that you give it a careful thought.
@epiffanie (10413)
I can't live without indoor toilet..
No Internet? Well i wish you good luck with this one!!!
Wow this is really interesting you are going to give up all these things in your new home! The only one listed I could give up would be the tv!