Could We Just Skip the Fridge and Put it Straight into the Garbage?

I thought of my late father asking that question today. I found some "furry" left overs in the fridge and, as I emptied the container into the compost, I was thinking back. Once as we were cleaning up after a big family gathering, with lots of food leftover, my father said, "Why don't we just throw it all out now instead of putting it into containers and waiting for it to go bad in the fridge?" My mom was very organized at using leftovers actually but invariable something is forgotten and goes bad in the fridge, so he had a point. And he was the one who would end up dumping the container the following week.
There is always something, somewhere in the fridge that needs tossing. I've said the same thing as your dad, but my husband seems to be a human garbage can.
Very true that there seems to always be something that is at least questionable in the fridge. Sometimes we buy groceries for meal then end up eating out.
@paigea Lol! We do, too. Shopping is exhausting!
@DianneN it's very hard to plan and buy just the right amount.
@sol_cee (15331)
• Japan
Our dads always make sense. lol
He had a point all right. I didn't enjoy dumping that furry container today!
@sol_cee (15331)
• Japan
@paigea i dreamt about that furry container! lol
I try not to have leftovers and most times that works out fine.
I love leftovers to take for lunch. But sometimes I miss them!
@paigea If I cook garden veggies then we will have leftovers, but other than that I try to avoid it. My husband isn't big on leftovers.
@AbbyGreenhill neither is my husband. I find them handy for lunch. He makes his own lunch
Funny isn't it? If you put in back in the fridge you're not wasting it then, when it has to go out, you feel okay about it.
Yes it is a convoluted way for something to end up in the trash anyway.
@paigea Yes but you don't have a guilty conscience for wasting food. :)
@JudyEv I read an article about how much food Canadians throw away every year. It was millions of dollars worth and a lot of it is produce that went bad before it even got used at all! So now I feel guilty every time I waste any. I feel less guilty about my own garden produce getting wasted, but that still makes me feel guilty because of all the work that goes into growing it; mostly by my husband.
@PainsOnSlate (20254)
My hubby is the chef and organizes the fridge, I'd be willing to bet he never has thrown anything away...He cooks about two days a week and the rest is using up the leftovers and its always delicious... You mentioning your Dad made my heart ache for a moment missing mine...He's been gone for a long time but I still see him in the kitchen...
Your husband is very organized. My mom was much like that 'cooking with a plan to use the extra up. But after a big family get together too much went into the fridge. We always see our loved ones as we go about our life.
I agree@paigea
@RubyHawk (24949)
• Atlanta, Georgia
That makes sense if you aren't going to use it.. I seldom have anything go bad, but sometimes it happens.
You must be very organized in your kitchen!
@RubyHawk (24949)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@paigea I think so, I use up any leftovers quickly.
I remember my father saying the same and my Mom was not very good with the leftovers.
My mom was very good with leftovers overall when we were growing up. But for the two of them, there would be too much to use up after a big family gathering.
@paigea We had leftovers mainly during the Christmas holidays, when all the family met for the dinner.
I do my very best to utilize all leftovers.
I do too. And that is why I feel so bad when I miss something.
I can relate with your father . Since my hubby and i are on weekdays are at work , we don't know what are the leftovers at the fridge which my mother-in-law no matter how little they maybe would put in a container and forget about it when mealtime comes . Thus , on weekdays when i clean the fridge i would be taking out lots of containers containing left-overs and have them given to the dogs instead . At least our local dogs will be too happy to eat them .
I see I am not the only one with a fridge like that.
@gr8nana6 (2194)
I have forgotten leftovers way in back and by the time I found them they were really bad and smelly. Your Dad had a point there though, lol.
He had a point and I was reminded of it yesterday.
@BettyB (4221)
• Summerville, South Carolina
We have food go bad too often in the fridge. My husband is better at eating leftovers than I am. I just need to get better at cooking less.
Cooking less is a big part of it!
@mom210 (6762)
• Atlanta, Georgia
There is always the unlabeled, forgotten little bowl in the back. Bummer, it was usually something really good too.
Yes, this particular dish was a sort of a pesto I had made!
@salonga (27993)
I also sometimes forget leftovers and when I do I really feel bad because I hate it when food is wasted.
I know, I hate the waste. I need a system to get it all used while it's still good.
@salonga (27993)
@paigea I think you need more mouths to eat the leftovers.
@salonga only if they lived here. When visitors come we make new food.
When I get food from my parents, we tell them not to give us much or else it'll end up in the trash also!
Yes, it is a challenge to not make too much sometimes.
@paigea Yes I take enough food only. I don't want extras because I know I won't finish it.
@infatuatedbby We try hard not to waste.
@bunnybon7 (36428)
• Holiday, Florida
I will have to remember to say that one to my daughter. as her bf wastes more food that way. enough to feed another family. she fixes him or buys a big plate of food and he takes one bite, then puts it in the fridge! never to be touched again
@bunnybon7 (36428)
• Holiday, Florida
can't tell you how mad that makes me when I pay for the majority of food here
@bunnybon7 I can imagine. I try hard not to waste food. But some leftovers seem to get forgotten and then they go bad
@blitzfrick (2912)
I have at least one "science project" in my fridge even as I type these words.
I know how that goes!
Yes, I have done that before. it's worse to clean the furry mess so I have been known to just throw the container out as well.
I have thrown out a few containers instead of recycling them.
you remind me i need to get up and clean out my messy fridge. :-)
Yes, that job keeps coming up over and over.
That would sure save a step by throwing in right in the trash. I always eat all f my left overs. They are good the second time around.
They are good the second time around. Some times they just get forgotten somehow.
A wise man! I've currently got a dish in the back of my fridge that has green fur. But I can't make myself mess with it. I need the dish, but it's so gross...I'm procrastinating.
I know, I do that too. I am trying to use up some leftovers while they are still good. My husband does not help me!