One Fine Day, I Just May Read My Car's Operator's Manual

My car is only a year and a half old, but I have yet to read the operator's manual that came with that car of mine. The operator's manual has 382 pages of the most boring reading material I have encountered to date. If I do read the operator's manual that came with the car, I just may find the answer to many questions I have regarding that car. 1. How do I lower the passenger-seat headrest? Those who must ride in that seat complain that the headrest is in a position that is quite uncomfortable. 2. Why do all four windows and the sunroof open halfway, every so often, when I lock my car? 3. How do I operate the navigation system? I have tried and that lady who is instructing me causes me great confusion! 4. Why does the sound of a ringing phone and a lady asking, "How may I help you?" occur when I mess with the buttons on the overhead control panel? 5. What is that silver knob on the center console's purpose? 6. What the heck is Parktronic??? 7. Where is the 115 V Power Socket, which I will probably never use, but ya never know? 8. Where is the SOS button and the Roadside Assistance Button due to my not reading the entire manual will result in my needing both? I am not reading that thing!!
Oh for the old days - you wound the windows down manually and stuck your arm out to indicate. My first car didn't even have a heater or radio. I just got in and drove.. Your number 8 is so funny
Yes, a car that has a 4-page manual would work for me!
@nanette64 (13059)
• Fairfield, Texas
That's why I like my 2000 Saturn @jaboUK ; roll-down windows. Of course if I stuck my arm out the window to indicate turning or slowing down, the idiots behind me wouldn't know what I was doing.
I would just read the "exact part" that I need to know at the time. No way I would waste my time reading the whole thing.
Well, I have learned a lot from just pushing all of the buttons to see what happens. The ringing phone thing has me really confused, though.
I would just read the exact parts I need at a particular time too. But they don't always have the answer?
@paigea I think they load new cars with so many things I will never use.
Hope you find the answers somewhere! Whenever I'm in the car waiting with nothing else to occupy myself I sometimes look through the manual but you're right, it's very boring.
Yes, perhaps they could invent a video that tells all and when you read a section, you get to play a game!
@epiffanie (8343)
I've never read car manuals or any manuals ..lol.. I am overwhelmed by them .. too many things to read.. I get lost ..lol..
When a manual has over 380 pages, we should all just keep that thing in the glove compartment!
@epiffanie (8343)
@Corbin5 Even if it's only 50 pages or less, to me it's daunting ..
@CRK109 (14365)
I only read my car manual when something would go wrong that I couldn't figure out on my own. Like a light that came on once. I'd never seen it before. It came on at night on my console and I couldn't figure out for the life of me what it meant. So I went home, dug out the manual and tried to figure it out. That really didn't help. I finally got to a mechanic who fixed it. It wasn't anything huge, but only he could fix the problem (whatever it was). lol
I have consulted the manual too, but I think my comprehension skills stink when it comes to car information. I too have taken a car in for such an easy fix, but sure saves a lot of trouble to have a pro do it.
@CRK109 (14365)
@Corbin5 Yes it does. Not fun paying for it, but at least you get things done the right way!
Hahaha! I was literally just reading mine! I need to buy an oil filter and was trying to figure out what kind to buy! lol
I am so proud of you Jessica!! Your read yours!!!
@Corbin5 I feel so grown up! lol
@ridingbet (36277)
who knows, on a fine cool morning with nothing to do, you may end up reading the manual?
I think I would have to be stranded on a desert island with only the manual to read that thing for entertainment purposes.
@ridingbet (36277)
@Corbin5 oh no. if that happens, you might be thinking ways and means on how to get away from that place and find yourself a comfortable area to myLot. the manual may be thrown away or used to light woods
@ridingbet I Come to think of it, stranded on a desert island means I would probably not have the car! I would have to use the manual to start a fire!
• Portland, Connecticut
lol The only time I ever read mine is when something goes wrong and I need to figure it out!!
Just wish my figuring-out did not take so long! Comprehension is lacking when it comes to that car's manual.
• Portland, Connecticut
@Corbin5 They certainly don't make it easy, I usually end up Googling any issue I have much easier to read online.
@PainsOnSlate (19008)
That's a lot of info you don't know about your car. We have a new one and I had to pull over on the side of the road to figure out how to run the air conditioner..Then I looked up the other things I didn't get and now I'm comfortable in the vehicle, Have I read it all ...not a chance!
Yes, when I am really stuck, I will go to the manual for help. I must say that just pushing buttons has helped me to figure out things too.
@Corbin5 sometimes that works!
When it's time to change the clock I always have to look it up - I have no clue if my husband looks stuff up - he drives it I don't drive at all. (well, I drive him crazy.)
Well, I must say that the required back-up camera has been the one feature that has saved me many a time. I have a tendency to back into poles on occasion, but no longer. I drive my husband crazy too, but he deserves it.
@Corbin5 We have had vehicles for several years that had/have the camera so we're used to that. Husband's are supposed to be driven crazy.
@Marcyaz (36126)
I would check the index just for those specific things you have mentioned above. Silver Knobs, Parktronic, 115 V Power Socket and SOS button you may need sooner than you think.
Well, if Parktronic keeps me from bumping into other cars while trying to park, that one would come in handy.
@Marcyaz (36126)
@Corbin5 It would be very handy if it keeps one from bumping into other cars.
It's so much easier to ask my husband than to look in the big manual!! I have no idea what a few knobs in the car are for also.
I think a class would be nice to show all the features and how to work all. If they served cake and ice cream after the class, I would go!
@Corbin5 If they served that, yes, I would pay attention.
@scheng1 (24950)
Wow, 382 pages! I think you can use the manual to kill a rat!
Yes, I do have to think of alternate uses for the manual since I am not going to read the thing!
@gudheart (12804)
LOL I was thinking the same other day, as there are probably a few things I did not even know my car had!
I think the manual should have pictures with colors and little stories about each part to keep it interesting.
@sol_cee (13157)
• Japan
Maybe it comes with an audio version? lol
Well, that is a good idea. Perhaps a YouTube video!!
@BettyB (4289)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I look things up when I have no choice, but I haven't read mine. The last time I looked at it was when I had to figure out how to reset the clock. I figure I've driven the car for four years now and what I don't know hasn't hurt me any. I may read it before I trade it off for a new, and confusing, new car.
Yes, when I am really stuck, I will find the page in the manual that explains what I need to know. I just leave the clock the same time year round. The heck with daylight savings time!
@UncleJoe (8069)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
You didn't mention what kind of car.
My husband is a car nut. He worked 37 years in public affairs for the U.S. Dept. of Labor, so I just let him buy cars. Mine is the small Mercedes 350 GLK SUV which costs the same as any SUV of its size. My husband drives a Porsche and the dog has a Lincoln MKZ. Since husband worked so hard for so long, I just let him do what he loves to do, but to me his car-buying is ridiculous!
Have your husband read it for you
My car makes him nuts since it has too much stuff on it for a retired guy. He will not drive it. I am on my own on this one.
@GreatMartin (4313)
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I am usung my friend Allen's new 2016 Caddie for a week--it said something about starting the car before you get in it--and with Florida summer weather with the heat it would be great to be able to do that!!--so I did the unthinkable--yes I looked it up in the manual--and I can't make head or tails of it!! I am going to the dealer!
I had to go to the dealer to have someone put the batteries inside the fob that starts the car. Life is too short for us to be reading a manual when there is a go-to guy who knows.
@louievill (16205)
Things that are boring to some is exciting to others and vice versa lol
If they made the manual in the form of a story, I would be happy. Very colorful pictures would help too!