Pub Sign Photo Study – The Old Monkey Manchester

Photo taken by me – pub sign for The Old Monkey – Manchester
Preston, England
Quite a cheeky sign on a relatively new pub that was once a jewellery store on the corner of the busiest road junction in the city centre, the Portland Street and Princess Street Crossroads. It had been a pub before then, The Queen’s Arms which ran from 1841 to 1925 and the building itself is over 200 years old. The sign depicts an organ grinder’s wise and slightly sinister looking monkey who seems to grinding the organ for himself. He wears a fez and a bright jacket too. The sign presents a circus tent marquee in the background, almost certainly in recognition of the Circus Tavern pub just a few doors away, on the same block, suggesting the Monkey is a nearer, better bar. Unusually nice blending in of the pub name lettering too as steps for the old monkey to rest on. Arthur Chappell
Terrific sign. He could be holding the coin collection cup or a pint!
• Preston, England
@JohnRoberts yes the ambiguity keeps us guessing
@Inlemay (17163)
• South Africa
that is a very Moroccan little monkey - almost Aladdin's little one.
• Preston, England
@Inlemay reminds me of the monkey in Raiders Of The Lost Ark
@Inlemay (17163)
• South Africa
@arthurchappell Oh yes I loved that little monkey - that rush of them going down that mine coco pan rail was enthralling - I loved that movie as well , they should give us a few of the old Harrison Ford movies every now and then.
that is a rather pretty sign!