Need to Get Out of a Slump

I was going to title this In a Slump, but decided what I really want is a plan to get out of this slump. I really don't care about anything these days and therefore; my house is dusty and untidy, I have neglected contact with family and friends. My paperwork for mystery shopping is disorganized and not even contained in one spot. I have not been exercising. There are some deeply worrying family troubles and I am stumped trying to figure out how I can help. The only thing that pushes me to action is the news that someone is coming to visit. So, what I need is a plan. 1. I logged into my housework support website (Flylady based) and posted a short To Do list. Those are the people who "get it" when I say I vacuumed AND put the vacuum away. Knowing I will get that pat on the back motivates me. How silly is that? 2. I had a big think and I want to be ready for family visits this summer, so there are things that need to be done to create that leisure time. 3. Hubby wants to go on a major trip next winter so there is money that needs to be earned. I want to help make this happen for his sake. I want to organize my paperwork and find more work. Not sure what else to do to give myself that push to start moving. Do you have a way to get over a slump?
I don't hit big slumps, thank God. I might go into hiding for an hour but that's about it. but if you do get in a cleaning mood I have some furniture that needs dusting.
I don't mind cleaning. But I put it off until it seems too much. And it is so dusty here. I did dust a couple things today. My husband can just take a little break and get back to doing things too.
@paigea My husband does more than 1/2 the house work - he runs the vac which saves me a lot of time. With our dog that's a daily job.
@AbbyGreenhill Husbands should do their share. And mine certainly does. I "help" a little with the outside work. He does the shopping mainly, cooking, and keeping the kitchen clean. I say I do the dishes but really it will be two plates as he cleans as he cooks. So, the laundry, vacuuming and dusting are my work pretty much because I chose them.
I don't know what to say because I never feel like that. I think it's because I'm not a worrier and very rarely get stressed. If things don't get done - so what? I hope you manage to find a way to get yourself out of it.
You have a great attitude. You get a lot done though as your garden is always gorgeous!
@paigea Lol - the house is a different matter!
@jaboUK The house just needs to be ready for guests to come and relax.
@koopharper (6290)
You've started with some clear goals, so you've started out right. I sometimes have trouble with motivation as well. Not sure how to really break out of it. Try and then try again. Eventually I get some momentum.
Yes, that is what is good about my little support website. We all keep trying again, even if it's one little baby step.
@koopharper I am curious what ignites your momentum ?
I often pick three (small) things that need to be done and just start on one of them. Then I pick another three and pretty soon I am back on track again.
That is exactly what our group does. The less inspired I am, the smaller the 3 things
@paigea how about just starting to do something. The other day I scrubbed the bathroom floor and I thought since I had the water and soap and cloth why not do the kitchen floor? Then since I was in the kitchen I washed out the refrigerator! I love to clean house once I get started!
@Marty1 I do not mind any of those tasks when I get started. But I do run out of steam quickly too, it seems.
@LeaPea2417 (19855)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I am in a slump too. The way I get out of it is to close my laptop and force myself to do other things around the house.
Oh shucks. Really! Actually I do absolutely need to do that. Once I shut the laptop, I will at least do something. Turning on the washing machine is something.
Music really helps uplift my spirit and prayer.
Yes, music helps uplift a lot of people. It does not have that effect on me. It is nice, that is all.
@paigea I don't even find music nice I hate music!
@Marty1 I like music, but I have to be feeling in the mood for it or it is just noise. It can't change my mood.
A person should pat themselves on the back for every thing accomplished when in a slump. Also, energy begets energy. The more I do and accomplish, then that gets things rolling. The important thing that you endorse yourself for any act, no matter how small, and that works to boost mood.
Yes very true. That is what my FLYlady support group gives me. I will go post my list of every little thing I got done and say "Ta Da" that gives me my pat on the back!
@corbin5 I agree. The other day I scrubbed the kitchen floor because I did the bathroom floor! Had the bucket and water with soap so why not? You explained perfectly dear friend exactly what I was trying to say! Once I start cleaning I don't want to stop! The kitchen floor wasn't even dirty! But I like to scrub them weekly!
@paigea good for you and fly lady. You could post here and @I@ will also pat you on the back!
I find doing things that create energy using it wisely and making me feel satisfied, usually gets me over any slumps . . . rare as they are
Glad they are rare for you. What creates energy for you? I have learned to use my small amount of energy wisely. I used to run out of steam and leave the house in a big mess! I try to anticipate the lovely moment of ice tea on the deck when my tasks are done, but that doesn't seem to entice me enough to get moving.
@paigea good stretching and stopping coffee before 2 pm usually creates energy after around 4 pm when I would normally, when I was young have loads of it, now not so much
@enlightenedpsych2 No coffee after my morning cup or two. Sometimes decaf or caffeine free tea in the afternoon for pleasant moment. I will have to make a better effort to do some stretching. Thanks
I think that recognizing that you are in a slump and making a list, like you've done, are great first steps. I hope that things get flowing now.
Did a little, now taking a break. Hope to do a little more later.
I need to dust the furniture, but the house is clean and neat. Soon I will wash the windows and the curtains, they do not really need to be washed, but I always do this in summer.
Yes, you sound very organized always. Right now my windows need washing and the screens need the flush blown out of them. I just do not care. Well not enough to Just. Go. Do. It.
@ladyduck my house is clean, too!. I just dusted yesterday . How often do you dust? I washed some Windows Friday . I might do them again today. Then today I am going to use glass cleaner and clean the pictures. I don't have any curtains so I just have to figure out how to do the Windows high up outside! I never did Windows outside before.probably call my handyman to do it for me! Washed out the refrigerator this morning!
@Marty1 I dust two or three times a week, I mop the floors every day and I wash them once a week. I wash the windows usually every 3 months, more if needed, I like to have clear windows.
Do something online that you enjoy doing and than go and do something that you need to do.
That is a good suggestion. However, I am able to ignore a timer and just keep puttering away on the computer. Is that what you do? Mylot a bit and then do something you need to do?
@paigea That is what I do all day long.
@jstory07 I always start my day with a book or online! It makes me happier!
• Eugene, Oregon
The only way I know is to get your head down and charge ahead, even when it feels useless. Some of what you do will be sloppy (I know), but the effort will build momentum. Sorry to hear of those intractable family troubles. They are the hardest to deal with because you can't "fix" them. My daughter has been going through some this last few weeks and I have felt helpless.
We are helpless at times. And on top of it others are angry that we are not "fixing" things.
• Eugene, Oregon
@paigea True. Helpless is not a good place for a dad, even when daughter is an adult.
@JamesHxstatic Have you found anything to say or do that works?
acknowledgin' the trouble's a great place to start, hon. so glad that'cher takin' the action ya feel necessary to o'ercome such. fer myself, i jest feel better when the house's nice'n tidy. same with the outdoors 'n horses. when i'm able, i'm tendin' to all that i can. sounds like a bit'f depression weighs heavy'n ya. family troubles can do such, but sometimes schtuff's jest outta yer control 'n ya gotta let others figure't out fer 'emselves. not always an easy task. big hugs!
Yes, it is heartbreaking to watch others self-destruct. They need help, but there is no way to convince them.
@paigea yes ma'am, but that sink 'r swim sometimes works miracles'n those that're strugglin'.
@crazyhorseladycx In one case it hasn't and it is just frightening and heart breaking.
@LoriAMoore (4817)
Been there. You do eventually work yourself out of it on your own after a while. It just happens.
I keep trying to get into a routine so things get done no matter how I'm feeling.
@paigea I have to make a schedule and say what I want to clean each day! Maybe you should try that!
@Marty1 When I get on track a bit, I loosely follow FLYlady's schedule. This week the zone is the master bedroom and closet. Every day there is a task to do in that area. And FLYlady is all about daily routines, like cleaning the toilet as soon as you head in there first thing in the morning.
I'm in a bit of a slump as well. I seem tired all the time. I hope you are back on track to get yourself going. sounds like big plans on the way?
My husband wants to make a big plan to go to Europe or to go on a warm trip in the winter. I want to do it for his sake. And of course, I would enjoy it too. I need to get busy and earn more or it will make us feel broke to go on a trip.
@jillybean1222 I am tired all the time too as I have only slept two nights this week!
@Marty1 That makes it hard to cope with life. I do find the more activity in my day, particularly outside, the better I sleep. What do you find helps you?
@salonga (27985)
Family problems can really cause us to slump so when I get into that slumping moment, I always go to the Lord, I pray and believe all the problems will soon come to pass so life has to go on and I must stand and get back to my usual lively and bubbly self.
That is a good plan. I need to remember I am no good to others if I don't take care of my own stuff.
@salonga (27985)
I think im just lazy these days. but not when i do earn online though.
I am lazy and too much time online does not help I think.
@marsha32 (6691)
I just have good days and bad days. My house is a mess because I'm too concerned about earning to do much housework.....even my husband cooks most nights now after a long day at work. I thought I would change this once hoome, but so far I've not.
Some days will always be better than others I know. Going to work takes energy doesn't it. The house often comes second. Having said that, I want to work more and earn more.
I'm afraid I don't. I seem to live in a cycle of slumping and hyperactivity. No rhyme or reason to it. Hope you fine your Oompf.
I never really get that hyperactivity phase. Just slumping and then methodically getting things done some days. No oomph today, but did a few things so I will call that a good thing.
I think that my slumping days are over.I do not need a push.Been playing tennis three times a week.Work out etc.No I am not in a slump
That is so great. My husband is a lot like you. Only his thing is hockey.