Birthdays & Holidays

Tempe, Arizona
Good morning all!!! All but one of my children has already celebrated their birthdays, and it got me to thinking...It's funny and a bit strange (in a good way) that every last on of my kids' birthdays are either on a holiday or has some numerical meaning. Let me show you guys...My oldest birthday is on Memorial Day (5/30), my second is on Fathers' Day (6/19), my third is on Mothers' Day (5/8) and my last child's birthday is 8/08/08!!! Isn't that awesome!! Right now that really isn't a problem as none are mothers or fathers and I don't think that gifts are exchanged on Memorial Day, but later on when they are parents..boy is that going to hit my pockets!!! Lol! Is it standard practice to give birthday presents and gifts to acknowledge the holiday as well? I don't know...but if so isn't that the same as having a birthday on Christmas Eve or Day? How as a parent would you guys suggest I handle this? I am a single mother with limited income, but I don't want to seem "cheap" in the eyes of my greatest fans & loves!! Help!!
@Marcyaz (35693)
My grandfathers birthday was on 12/24 but we celebrated it on that day and also on Christmas day and that way he wasn't cut short on gifts.
That is pretty cool. My brother and sister are twins and I was born on their 8th birthday so when I have a birthday I have to buy two presents! But it's all okay.
• Tempe, Arizona
@JudyEv..that is so awesome!!! You're not going to believe me, but I'm going to tell you anyway. Here goes..My mom's birthday is 8/18 and my birthday is 8/21...it gets better..my oldest brother's birthday is 9/20 and my youngest sister's birthday is also 9/20!! Then I have identical twin brothers' whose birthday is, of course on the same day, 9/30!!! Isn't that just the cat's meow?!? I love it!
@Stefanygray That certainly is the cat's meow!
@LoriAMoore I used to think I must have been adopted as it was too much of a coincidence! :)
@1hopefulman (27379)
Birthdays and holidays are too commercialized and it's all about the wrong things. The important things are not about money but about love and they can be given ant time and don't have a monetary value to it. It's interesting that we never see Jesus celebrate a birthday or celebrate Christmas. This is just a different way of looking at things.
• Tempe, Arizona
exactly!
Its so cool that our birthdays are all on holidays. Maybe that's why I love the holidays so much lol
• Tempe, Arizona
@Seeking Lulu..You know that I planned it that way...Lol!!!
@MissNikki (2676)
A birthday on 8/8/8 sounds very lucky to me! Maybe make a favorite meal like their favorite food on their birthday to make it that extra bit special.
• Tempe, Arizona
@MissNikki I will try that..she's about to turn 8 yrs so far her favorite food is pizza!
@MissNikki (2676)
@Stefanygray Sounds like a great choice for an 8th birthday!
I think you will come up with great gifts for those unusual birthdates. As long as they know they are loved by you, "cheap" is all right. However, saving little bits of extra money now and setting it aside could come in handy for future gifts.
• Tempe, Arizona
@Corbin5 Great idea!!
@JESSY3236 (6250)
My fiance's birthday is on Christmas Day. He hates it because it's always a reminder that he is getting older.
@MsTickle (24962)
Just take it as it comes and do what you need to do. gifts don't really matter, it's loving thoughts and laughter that makes for happiness.
those are cool birthday dates all right.