Ocracoke Light Station

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Our Outer Banks road trip included one final light house before it was time to head back home again. Located on Ocracoke Island in the Outer Banks of North Carolina and accessible only by water (we arrived on a ferry from Hatteras Island, and left on a ferry headed to Cedar Island) Ocracoke Light house is the second oldest lighthouse still in operation in the United States. At 75 ft it isn’t as tall as the other tower-type lighthouses that we visited, and it isn’t opened to the public so climbing it was not an option.We got plenty of exercise anyhow, since we took advantage of the two hour wait for our ferry to cycle around the village of Ocracoke. The Ocracoke Lighthouse is painted stark white to make it easy for mariners to identify. It seems the original “whitewash” recipe was a mixture of boiling water, spanish whiting, lime, rice and glue applied while the mixture was still hot. I imagine that was a messy, smelly job! This will be the last of my lighthouse discussions for a while, but we have plans to spend some time on the coast of Maine next month, so hopefully we’ll visit a few more lighthouses before the summer is over.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Is this in Maine? It looks lovely! My sister-in-law loves lighthouses.
It's on North Carolina's Outer Banks. Sorry I should have been clearer.
I know the 'mortar' for some of the very ancient Irish castles was a mix that included blood (presumably animal) and eggs.
Nice photo! You will love the lighthouses in Maine, too.
Sixteen sleeps. I'm not excited at all
@Platespinner I don't know what you mean. 16 nights away or sleeping with 16 people? Lol!
@DianneN 16 nights until we leave
@responsiveme (12413)
This is so beautiful. i am enjoying being an armchair traveller, seeing the world through my fellow myLotters eyes'
I have a friend that vacations on Ocracoke Island every year.
@Macarrosel (7655)
We have light houses in our place but seems I'm not interested in them. But I love your photo and seemed you're enjoying your road trip. That's good.
@BettyB (4304)
• Summerville, South Carolina
The light house is pretty. Do they still paint it with the original whitewash?
@UncleJoe (7159)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I finally found out what "Ocracoke" means. It is an Algonquin word the Hatterask Indians used for the village of Wokokkon. This is where Edward Teach aka "Blackbeard" loved to eat fried okra and sip an ice cold coke. I'm not sure I believe that.
@cindiowens (3738)
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Were you able to see the wild horses while you were there? Ocracoke Island is lovely, and the village is lovely. We camped there one year and had a wonderful time.
• Preston, England
I have seen a few lighthouses in the UK - fascinating to actually tour round them - I'd actually have liked being a lighthouse keeper but they are all digital/electronic now
Its amazing what lengths they took to make it so visible, I wouldn't want to have to have been part of the painting committee for this one, only 75 feet tall or not! Its a good looking lighthouse.