Making a Junk Journal

I have discovered another fun thing to do and this one I get to keep! Pocket letters I swap and postcards that I buy are swapped. I love the swapping. It's the best! But some things I find do not fit in exacty, they are pictures too big for a pocket letter or don't fit into any pocket letter that I'm making or planning. Some things are just so cute i want to hang on to them for awhile. I read a myLot post from @coffeebreakwhatever about Junk Journals it sparked an idea and I started trolling the youtube videos and found one I liked, just junky enough so if I messed it up it would not be a big loss. Now I have one I made that's full of envelopes to tuck things into and pages I can embellish or paint even. I can write in it, or just paste things in it like a scrapbook or smashbook. But it's for me and I loved making it and I have already been working in it. I am realizing it's very hard to explain a junk journal! It's kind of like....if you have to ask why, you really don't want one. In the picture is the one I made using vintage book covers.
I don't think I want one either @jaboUK but can I ask? Is it a bit like a fancy scrapbook?
It's like a less fancy scrapbook. It's to play with and not worry about making it fancy and perfect. If it has to be too perfect, I get stressed and don't want to keep going for fear of messing it up.
@coffeebreakwhatever I'm tweaking it now here and there and am loving it more every day.
@coffeebreakwhatever That's the whole thing, I have to say, I really am happy you wrote about them and introduced them to me because I just love mine! At first I wasn't quite sure how to get started, but once I had a focus and directions I started on it right away. I'm beginning to feel like I'm friends with "Sugar" I have watched so many of her videos on YouTube!
That sounds like a great idea. I think I'll make one of my grandkids pictures and cards.
I think that is a terrific idea.
@MGjhaud (20866)
She (@coffeebreakwhatever) helped me too. I love this idea. We talked about book covers too and you gave me an idea. I dont have hard covers here but i think i can grab some at home.
Leave the spine connected. I damaged it while pulling the signatures into the glue, so covered it with duck tape to hide the damage and strengthen the spine. I didn't account for weak fibers in this antique book.
@MGjhaud (20866)
Got it. Thanks. if i cant find a nice looking cover, i'll just cover it with something pretty.
@MGjhaud That's the way to make it your own!
@tech40 (9903)
Wow I like how it created. Looks good
Thank you!! I sure isn't for everyone, I'm glad you see what I see!
@tech40 (9903)
@Jeanniemaries you made this for how many days?
@tech40 I used 4 signatures, each containing six pages. It depends on the width of the spine as to how many signatures you must use. That is 48 pages, 96 days. Now that I put the journal in my hands and am leafing through it, I am wanting to go and work on it!
@BettyB (4209)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I think its a fun idea and something I'm considering.
There are a million ways to make one. I found a video by "Sugar" that nailed it for me.
It sounds like you are having fun with it.
I really am. It's like a "no rules" journal and at my stage of life, I just want to do things my way.
@Lucky15 (33687)
Love the cover...ahmm...well
it's from 1903 If I remember correctly. I like it now, but later when the journal is full it might have a different feel and then I just might paint the cover. I can do whatever I want.
Going by your criteria - I don't really want one
I can see that. The kind I like is not for everyone. They sell really nice ones on etsy. I can see one of those filled with your wonderful poems!
By the time I could get around to making one I would have forgotten why I made it in the first place!
It took a couple of hours to make it but I spent more time watching videos on how to's!
@Jeanniemaries Yes, that's how it goes sometimes!
@AbbyGreenhill I keep watching them, now for ideas!
how wonderful! so delighted that'cha made yerself one, hon. i've got journals 'n i've got junk...they jest don't happen to be'n the same place, lol. i need to fashion somethin' though, to keep all the lovely postcards i've been receivin'...'long with those i hope to get'n the future :)
if you tuck a postcard in a pocket, you can see both sides whenever you want. I do keep my postcards in an album though.
@Jeanniemaries i've those clear sheets which i keep photos'n, thought i might do the same with the postcards :) that way front'n back could be viewed 'n 'em kept tidy.
@LoriAMoore (4686)
I like it! I have some odd bits and pieces I want to save but don't know what to do with and I'll do that with them. Thanks for the idea.
I've been having the most fun with it! I even did a youTube video!
@jayaramas (1358)
• Bangalore, India
try a new think journal
I like the bulky look and repurposed materials. I did also buy a composition book that is new to do something similar.
@sishy7 (27594)
I had not heard about it until I read coffeebreak's posts and I'm very interested...
I liked a youtube video by "sugar" on how to make one. It was much easier than I thought, but the video is an hour long and so I did have to fast forward it often! I also did a youtube video of mine after it was done, but I've made a lot of changes already. I'll be making another one soon. My current one is only 4 minutes long...not an hour!
@coffeebreakwhatever It's "Jeanne Baney" . I originally made it to show you and didn't like it so made the blog post. Then I decided to keep it and later show the changes. I'm about ready to do a second one.
@zarlamain (24874)
That seems like a fun craft!